Amber (Split) and Vince (Protean), plus others

Register guest characters here and join the fun!

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Amber (Split) and Vince (Protean), plus others

Postby ShastaB24 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:24 am

Here are my two characters:

Amber Sees--She hasn't thought of a codename, as she doesn't feel that it would work anyway. Amber goes through her life generally oblivious, due to completely isolating herself from her peers during middle school. During 8th grade she came out as transgender, which threw her parents into a fit, but they still decided to pay her tuition to Poseidon. Her father thinks that the school will help give her perspective, and her mother seems to have little to no leeway in his old values patriarchal control. Amber has decided to transition on the outset of her entrance into Poseidon because nobody would know her and wouldn't raise a fuss. Once there, she met Vince Croche during a lunch period. The two became friends quite quickly, but due to her antisocial tendancies and the fact that she has a hard time remembering names, Amber doesn't seem to be able to make other friends. Of course, her power can also alienate her rather than draw her to others.

Amber's power is to trap straggling souls in her own body, where she retains the person's memories and personalities, as a sort of split poersonality. When the personality is in control, it can utilize all extra abilities it had when it was in its own body. However, these souls can only be obtained through the death of their original host, and as such usually they will have to have died in Amber's presence, which can be traumatic to her. She first found this power in a car accident which broke her legs. Her brother was absorbed and repeatedly has tried to gain control of her body, not wishing to accept that he's dead. His personality has water powers.

Amber can converse with these personalities through reflective surfaces a la Niki on Heroes, as well as when unconscious or when her personality is not in control. However, people don't usually know that she has such a power and just think that she is talking to herself.

Vince Croche--He calls himself Myther, though he's still working on it. Vince is a shapeshifter who is relegated to forms of creatures of mythical origin. He came to Poseidon with a great pedigree, with a brother who could channel the powers of a dragon. It was soon found, however, that Vince has a huge obstacle in his way: he has schizophrenia, which has begun its onset quite recently. On the first day of school, he saw Amber talking to herself in front of a display case and felt that she must be going through the same things and approached her later that day at lunch. They have become friends and do have an understanding of what each is going through, as they are generally considered to be crazy. Vince is trying to press Amber to come out of her shell and notice the world around her. He has also given her the codename Split, but she doesn't feel that she deserves a codename.

And remember: schizophrenia is hallucinations, which are primarily auditory. It is completely different from Dissassociative Identity Disorder, with which it is inexorably confused. I thought I would mention this, especially in the light that many people would accuse Amber of having DID because of her power, and it wouldn't be too far from the truth. Plus, I don't like the two confused.

The two are inseperable and are likely destined to be. They cling to each other as the only tangible aspects in each other's lives, but also because they have been developing an attraction to each other that neither is sure the other reciprocates.

Here is an image of the two together (made through a superhero creator--it is likely obvious that I have spent a bit more time on Amber, as I don't have an idea of what Vince looks like in human form). It is more of an idea of what Amber would look like when she has graduated and the two have become a crimefighting duo:

Amber's hodgepodge array of colors portray her conflicting personalities as opposed to her actual fashion and costume choice. She is quite understated in her regular personality and likes the color yellow predominantly, though she also has a sweet spot for pink, as well. Vince generally likes to take the form of characters with wings, as he likes being able to fly. He also likes cats because he feels that they lead such exemplary lives compared to humans.
Last edited by ShastaB24 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm

And remember: schizophrenia is hallucinations, which are primarily auditory. It is completely different from Dissassociative Identity Disorder, with which it is inexorably confused

It annoys me that so many people don't know the difference

Interesting characters, its hard to fully grasp them in this format, we have a sort of registry form in a sticky that makes them easier to read
Not sure how I feel about the powers but I like the mental obstacles they have, they'd get on well with Jamie (a character in "A Boy To Remember" one of my fan fics) - well sometimes they would
The Hellion
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:29 pm

Okay, here they are in the registry form. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

Heroic Name: Split
Real Name: Amber Sees (nee Adrian Sees), her brother's name is George Sees
Squad: none, but George tried to get into Umoja
Ethnicity: Not sure, but she has dark skin (she was adopted, so she doesn't know herself)
Place of birth: Lone Pine, CA
Orientation: Bisexual
Class: Freshman
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red (dyed, by her brother's personality, was originally black before his tampering), close cut/buzz (also her brother's doing)
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 142 lbs

Powers: Amber has the ability to absorb recently departed souls and personalities into her own psyche. These personalities can act like a split personality. When one is in control it contains not only its old memories and mannerisms, but also its other special abilities (such as powers). She has also recently discovered that she can forcefully take a soul from a living body, but she has no control over this ability at the moment.

Limitations: Amber has no control over her power. As well, even the faculty don't know that it is her power, thinking instead that she has some sort of multiple personality disorder and that her true power is that of her brother--water manipulation. Amber's personalities have minds of their own and will not lie quietly most of the time. Her brother thinks he is the dominant personality, for instance. Needless to say, as well, that if she absorbed an evil personality, Amber would be in danger of committing criminal acts when it comes to the fore.

Skills: Amber herself has been training in the art of Tai Chi and has become quite good at it. She also is a whiz at the English language and prefers reading to social interaction, as she understands it more. Her brother is bombastic, but has no martial arts training. He instead has an affinity for the "bash and smash" idea to fighting.

Weapons/Gadgets: Amber has been training in the use of the sword as an extention of Tai Chi, but has yet to get the feel for it completely. She owns one, but generally leaves it in her room. Her brother is quick to get his hands on a gun.

Physical Appearance: To much people, Amber looks emaciated, as she generally can have her ribs showing when she isn't sucking in. However, this is due to her high metabolism, which comes from the fact that she is an avid runner. In fact, she eats a lot. Clothing-wise, she wears a lot of yellow and occasionally pink and has been able to procure some skirts for herself outside of her father's knowledge. Her brother doesn't like girls' clothes, but feels he must go with it, since Amber was in control on the first day of school and was able to have her way.

Personality: Amber herself is shy and reserved. She has a difficulty interacting socially due to lack of experience. She also has a hard time remembering names and faces, though she is quite book smart and can remember pointless trivia and likes talking about it (for instance, as Pink Floyd is her favorite band, she will talk about them in length, despite others' lack of interest). She may not be able to start talking easily, but once she does, she doesn't shut up all that well, and has a tendancy to not see that others are completely uninterested. Her brother, meanwhile, is outgoing and wants to be the life of the room. He is ready and willing to show his superiority to all people, and especially to Amber, as he feels that if he does so, he will gain full control.

History: Amber had a quiet childhood, withdrawing herself to the point that by middle school, she didn't talk to anybody and therefore lost the chance for such a crucial social milestone. When she was in fifth grade, she was in a car crash which killed her brother. His soul was absorbed into her own body, but Amber didn't find anything out about this until she began to lose time and apparently have done things she never remembered. Most importantly, she was told that she was able to manipulate water and did so regularly, though she has no memory of doing so.

During 8th grade, she came out as transgender, much to the chagrin of her parents. Her father would not stand for it and sent her to Poseidon, hoping that a private school would whip her into shape and make her the man she is "supposed" to be. On her first day, Amber was approached by Vince at lunch and the two have become fast friends. In fact, she is starting to feel a little more for him but doesn't know if he reciprocates.

Heroic Name: Protean
Squad: None, though he would probably work best in Masterminds
Ethnicity: Caucasian, with some Native American influence
Place of birth: Anderson, CA
Orientation: Straight, but maybe not exclusively
Class: Freshman
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Brown
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 157 lbs

Powers: Vince is a shapeshifter, a power which is relegated to the more mythical/magical creatures realm.

Limitations: He cannot take a form besides his base form that is human/humanoid. Therefore, he can't become a centaur, werewolf, etc. His personality also resembles whatever form he is in a little more than his own when he is changed. Also, his schizophrenia sometimes makes him perceive that there is something there that isn't, which can lead him into trouble or at least distraction.

Skills: Vince is a mathemetician and therefore analyzes a situation from such a mindset. As such he is a great strategist. He also has been learning Kenpo Karate in order to be able to defend himself while in human form.

Weapons/Gadgets: He doesn't carry any, as he can't use them when he has shapeshifted.

Physical Appearance: Vince is an athletic man, though people do deride him for his shorter stature. He generally just wears jeans and a t-shirt, as he doesn't feel the need to dress in a flashy manner.

Personality: Vince is quite friendly and willing to put up with eccentricities. This helps him get past Amber's chatty side. He wants to be seen for more than just "the schizo."

History: It was just over last year that Vince began hearing voices and it was confirmed that he has schizophrenia, which his family had feared due to his uncle also experiencing the same disorder. It is thought that his disorder manifested early due to the fact that he has his abilities, that somehow his physiology is different from others. Vince didn't want to be hampered by these abilities, however, and jumped at the chance to go to his brother's alma mater. His brother was a legend of sorts, as a man who had the powers of a dragon at his command. This legend causes Vince to always be in his brother's shadow, and he is worried that he might be judged on those accomplishments. At the moment, however, people only see him as the crazy kid and leave him alone, in part because they misunderstand him and think he'll attack them. His powers don't help their view of him, as they think it's evidence of his supposed multiple personalities, as most of the students misunderstand his disorder.

On the first day of school, Vince saw Amber seemingly talking to herself in a display case and thought she might be going through the same sort of things as him. He approached her at lunch and soon figured out what her situation really was, but didn't leave because she was interesting. He has become quite attached to her as the one student who treats him like a normal person, and also because he is attracted to her, though he isn't sure if she feels the same way.
Last edited by ShastaB24 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Simon Says » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Ok i love your Charicters they are awsome. I love the powers to mental complications aspect of them. I was just thinking, while reading your posts, Ya I wonder why more supers don't have mental issues. Then i remembered that it was fiction. :lol:
Also wouldn't Vince be concidered a medamorph since he can't become "real' things?
I love your char.'s and can whate to see then in the RPG's
Simon Says you love it,
Simon Says
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:46 am

Metamorph, huh? Hmm. I don't know much about metamorphs. However, to be honest, I am worried about Vince's character because he seems so powerful.

Of course, I have so many other characters I have created, but these are the only two that would fit, which is nice, since I didn't have to pick and leave the others for my own prospective comics. Of course, the fact that I can't draw and don't know any artists can really get in my way.

Split, however, is really influenced by Niki on Heroes, if one cannot tell. However, I tried to make her a character in herself, and felt that I did so effectively. Of course, it helped to create a personal history that mirrored my own a bit more. I'm still toying with another idea about her power, though: that a personality can break into the real world from a reflective surface if that surface can be broken in itself. However, I like this idea less and less as time goes on.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm

I finally got around to putting up a picture of Vince online. This is him in his costume:

The way the Hero Machine works, this would be him as an adult, of course.

I have also decided that the costume Amber is wearing in her picture is what her hero costume will be. I may even figure out some way to introduce it into a fan fiction.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 pm

On a request, fenris1011 over at DeviantArt drew my characters. Click here to see the picture.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 am

The character limit has been lifted! Woo! I may be one who's late to the adding of their new characters, but here goes:

Heroic Name: Dragrant
Squad: none anymore, graduated
Ethnicity: Caucasian, with some Native American influence
Place of birth: Anderson, CA
Orientation: Straight
Class: Graduated
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Brown
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 200 lbs

Powers: Grant can morph his body into that of a dragon, and any stage in between. He can breathe fire and, the more dragon-like he becomes, he gains further strength and toughness.

Limitations: The underside of Grant (his chest and stomach) is weaker than elsewhere. He is also a bit brash and forgets his own limitations.

Skills: As a former high school linebacker, Grant knows how to use his bulk to take down an opponent. He is also fluent in the language of dragons as well as the major Gaelic dialects.

Weapons/Gadgets: Not keen to pick up a weapon, Grant tends to use his fists.

Physical Appearance: Grant stands tall to make himself look as bulky as possible. He often prefers to stay in his half-dragon form for a variety of factors, one of which is intimidation. Though his costume is curiously lacking in lower body coverage, he is in no danger of indecent exposure due to his ability to tuck his genetilia underneath his scales, for both protective and decency purposes (his tail covers the other end). However, he will wear shorts if pressed.

Personality: Grant is a little bombastic and inadvertenty will dominate a room and conversation. His attempts to protect Vince come across as bossy, but he feels he needs to protect his brother from the world, or at least prepare him for it (depending on his mood at the time). Much of his boasting, as well, is to cover the fact that he has little in the way of book smarts (aside from the languages he knows).

History: Though Grant lost his father at a young age, he nevertheless knew him, unlike his brother. In this sense, he feels he needs to carry on his father's legacy--of heroics and protection of his family. The power he inherited, which is a lesser version of his father's, is what he sees as the tool to this objective.

Grant was a star at Poseidon Prep. He became renowned for his mastery of his power and his ability to have others naturally gravitate towards him. He became good friends with Sean Ford (Lifter of the Veil) and by proxy he knew Ngedi Mbouadell (Namib Rain) quite well. When he graduated, these connections still remained, as his friends were still in school, which he utilizes to make sure he can watch over his brother.

In his heroic duties outside of school, he has made connections to the super-powered community, teaming with many to stop an alien invasion while in high school and later partnering on a regular basis with the heroine Merry Maiden after graduating--a partnership that has lead to romantic feelings. He also maintains a friendship with the hero Just Plum Awesome, though he feels a little put off by the latter's abrasive frat-boy personality at times.

Heroic Name: Merry Maiden
Squad: none--not in school (but is a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader)
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Place of birth: Amarillo, TX
Orientation: Straight
Class: Graduated
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 250 lbs (but looks smaller)

Powers: Super strength, super speed, flight, invulnerability, able to survive the vacuum of space, can sustain herself without air for long periods of time

Limitations: Vulnerable to psionics, powers require solar charging

Skills: Cheerleading, as well as a variety of gymnastic skills

Weapons/Gadgets: None

Physical Appearance: Buxom, blond and blue-eyed, Mia is the type of hero plastered on the front of magazines. She seems to have a permanent smile on her face, hence the adjective in her heroic name.

Personality: It is said that nobody can make Mia drop her happy attitude, and that is often true. She is generally happy with her life and career. However, when faced with situations in which her powers are either not enough or negated, she shows a crack in this persona, hinting at a scared girl beneath.

History: Mia graduated from high school and immediately entered two professions which were everything to her: cheerleading and superheroics. As a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, she can use the skills she cultivated in high school, while the heroics take advantage of her tremendous gifts.

In her short crimefighting history, she has been able to meet many of the superheroes of the day, the most important to her being Dragrant, with whom she has partnered and, recently, started dating.

She keeps relatively secret her life before she donned the Merry Maiden mantle, however. Dragrant knows there was something in her past she doesn't like to talk about, but even he has not been able to get anything more out of it. In fact, she has only dropped her guard on few occasions, and those are when she has had her powers taken from her, however momentarily that may be.

More to come (and pictures, as well).
ShastaB24
Freshman

Return to Student & Faculty Registry