Vorp and Marionette

Register guest characters here and join the fun!

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Postby Sage » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Animal boy wrote:For the record I don't think teleporters are Mary Sues: Nightcrawler, I don't think anyone could mistake him for a Marty Stu...

He may have been referring to the teleporters in rpgs who are ALWAYS able to avoid the attacks of others and yet land their own. But with the exponential increase in limits, I think Alexander will be fine. Nightcrawler is also fleshed out at any rate.

Oh, and Kaze--I had been reading my friend's books of old sayings and that one just seemed to pop out at me as I wrote. I hope you dont think it too inappropriate.
Sage
Sophomore

Postby Kagekaze » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I just thought you were angery at me for something I said, thats all, It was kind of scary actually.
Kagekaze
Freshman

Postby Kagekaze » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I give you Marionette!
Kagekaze
Freshman

Postby Kagekaze » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Please tell me what you think. If you think he is a gary stu, then PLEASE tell me. I will change him a bit to fix it.
Kagekaze
Freshman

Postby TailsofElements » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:47 pm

I think he's good dude. Can't wait to see him in action.
TailsofElements
Junior

Postby Darkness1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:12 am

Okay love him, powers are well thought out BUT he's a master at several things and has an arsenal of weapons that even border on lethal, personally as he's a puppeteer I don't think he'd have time for weapons or need them. So that's the only complaint I have about him. :D
Darkness1
Sophomore

Postby The Hellion » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:29 am

Okay be careful with the strategy master attribute that can really make RPGs a nightmare for all parties and you may not be able to back it up all the time. Just be wary of it

Secondly I agree with darkness the numerous weapons aren't necessary I mean the fact he has those puppets alone means he's plenty equipped and if he were carrying all that around it would surely way him down.

Also in terms of names can I suggest leaning more towards that Japenese attribute of his heritage?

Ningyōtsukai/Ningyōzukai for instance or Bunraku or omozukai might fit better but thats just a thought - plus I think DC or marvel already have a marionette named character
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Gryphon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:06 am

Unfortunately Hellion is right, Marionette is the name of a character in the Marvel Universe.

The character itself is great, well thought out, though I agree with hellion on the points he brought up. All that extra weaponry he carries around seems unnecessary and since if ever in battle he should be using his puppets, he wouldn't be able to use any of it anyway. Don't try to plan for every occasion and deck you characters out in gear, its much more fun for everyone if you character isn't good at everything or isn't always prepared.

And you already know my thoughts on the strategist part, which as listed I don't see a problem with, except that saying he was practically a grandmaster at chess by the age of six is asking for trouble. Not only does this put an expectation for him to be better at strategy than everyone else, it is also highly unrealistic (yes, I know we are doing a rp where people have super powers and I'm calling being a master at chess unrealistic). Unless you yourself are a grandmaster at chess and were a child prodigy at it, I'd simply leave at 'He is very good at chess'.

But I definitely like the character and his powers - highly specialized but very useful because of his puppets.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 am

Versatile and a big improvement on your previous characters. Strong enough to be effective but not so strong that he can’t be challenged. Not to mention the board can defiantly use more straight characters. I swear they must be putting something in the water at that school…..
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:21 am

Not to get off topic, but did you ever read the Watchmen Comics? One of the characters actually mentions that people who are gay seem to end up costumed heroes more than others. It makes a sort of strange sense to me that that would be the case, which would explain the high percentage of gay characters at PPA.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:25 am

Actually I just finished it! Yeah, could be something to do with an excuse to dress up in fabulous outfits I suppose :P

In the case of Poseidon Prep though I personally blame Lightspot. Everyone’s gay for Lightspot.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Darkness1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 am

They're still angry that he refused to teach calculus in speedos :( that would be a great class. And the straight is useful the girls are getting annoyed
Darkness1
Sophomore

Postby Kagekaze » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:52 am

The Hellion wrote:Okay be careful with the strategy master attribute that can really make RPGs a nightmare for all parties and you may not be able to back it up all the time. Just be wary of it

Secondly I agree with darkness the numerous weapons aren't necessary I mean the fact he has those puppets alone means he's plenty equipped and if he were carrying all that around it would surely way him down.

Also in terms of names can I suggest leaning more towards that Japenese attribute of his heritage?

Ningyōtsukai/Ningyōzukai for instance or Bunraku or omozukai might fit better but thats just a thought - plus I think DC or marvel already have a marionette named character

Actually I knew of that, its just she seemed so minor that i doubt they would care AND D.C. and Marvel have a plethora of names that they both use, like mastermind, puppeteer, ect. I think it's the character itself that cannot be plagerised.

To the strategy problem, all i can say is whoops I meant to tone that down and forgot. :shock: I know shocking right?

The personal weapons, okay so you have to understand he doesn't actually USE them, he throws them on the ground and saves them for when he can attach a string to them and pull possibly knocking them out or stabbing them. So basically for when he doesn't have Kiregire handy.

The puppets weapons: I mean come on, what else could the puppets do, he is an assasian in training. Plus most of the poisons are really deadly enough to kill unless you ignore if for a month.
Kagekaze
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Okay well i doubt dr. Alexander would train him to kill (that could be an interesting dilemma or aspect that he's being trained to use other varieties of poison instead etc)

I just figured I'd toss it out there re the name since he's got his japanese heritage but that doesn't mean you have to use them or anything. That said the masterminds are all related in marvel and the puppeteer was only used once and that was by DC the other "puppet" character of note is Puppet Master of Marvel.

as for strategist aspect perhaps you should use the strategist aspect based around his puppets, like he's an expert at using them to compliment one another or for picking the right one for the situation, you don't need to tone it down per se but just be wary of what it will require of you and people that use him in fics.
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Darkness1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah but it's a hero school not HATE (the villain equivalent"). Dr.A wouldn't allow lethal force or anyone training to kill. And I thought he could only control the puppets, but now I'll have to ensure me boys are prepared to face him in a fight.
Darkness1
Sophomore

PreviousNext

Return to Student & Faculty Registry