My comic may come to fruition

Moderator: Perihelion

My comic may come to fruition

Postby ShastaB24 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 pm

I had previously posted an ad on DeviantART to, primarily, find an artist for Developing a Sense of Self Part 4. What I got instead has made me so giddy, because one of the responses expressed interest in another project I mentioned: my own characters.

I almost keeled over from excitement when I saw the first piece of concept art, that for my character Flame Thrower: http://namakox.deviantart.com/art/Flame-Thrower-concept-115136535. It's like no other feeling when you find a character of your own drawn by another person, and especially when said character is so close to you.

Flame Thrower has been a character of mine since elementary school. She started out as a shorter black-haired male bank teller named Andy Calabro that could shoot fire from his hands (but had to wear gloves to keep it under control) and had a jumping ability that allowed him to jump as high and as far as he wanted. He lived in a society where superheroes already existed, and he concealed his identity because of a group of people that tried to eliminate those with powers.

Later, Flame Thrower drifted more towards what I was like, or at least in the gender I had yet to affirm to myself was my own. He became transformed mystically into a blond woman and took the name of Charlotte. Realization of her true heritage as a part of a family of part-dragon people, she took her father's last name of Dragon Master and discovered the ability to fly and how to control her fire without the use of her gloves.

After I had developed this, I scrapped this story and began building a new one. Flame Thrower was Mariana Dragonmaster, an orphan transwoman whose heritage is a quarter dragon. She contains no special powers until a catalyst event that causes the population of the world to gain superhuman powers. Hers manifest as fire from her hands and flight. This is pretty much the character as she is now, with the exception that her hair went from blond to strawberry blond to red.

And now, my final incarnation of this character is shown as a fully realized concept from an artist far better than I am. I can't wait for the other characters to be posted. I'll post them here as well. All of them have some longevity to them, to varying degrees, and only one is more or less the same from in the beginning.

As far as the comic goes, I don't know how it will be released. Ideally, I could find a way to charge for it, because I am strapped for cash, as well as the fact that it would make a dream come true: I'll be a professional writer. Not just in something that would be there to gain me credibility, either, since the comic is something I hope will be ongoing and a primary focus.

Not that I'll give up all other writing, though.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:33 pm

I know that feeling well :). Congratulations and best of luck with your comic!
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby ShastaB24 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Thank you.

Now I have another character to post about: Rearranger.

His name could say it all, but I should note that he rearranges subatomic particles--and as such is probably my most powerful character. He is always in danger of being a Gary Stu, but I hope he's been given enough nuances to change this fact.

Rearranger started out as a villain, name spelled Rearanger at the time, who menaced Flame Thrower. He was a man who could control subatomic particles, but his appearance was different, as he was a man of German descent with spikey fingers (I was young, so my idea of "cool" was a bit off). About the time that Flame Thrower was transformed into a female, I decided to make Rearranger a misguided hero who was manipulated by an outside force. He later teamed with Flame Thrower, but never gained a prominent status for anything I thought up.

When I retooled my superhero concept, I kept an important note I had kept before: Rearranger and Flame Thrower knew each other in high school. Now, however, they are legally siblings, as Rearranger's family adopted Flame Thrower. His nationality is now Native American, as well, though my artist has obviously played up some of the fact that he is also part European.

He's a character that needs constant supervision for me, and I may need to use an out if I feel I can't write for him anymore. I do have a special fondness for him, though, and would not want to let him go. However, the aforementioned out may be the way he's headed anyways.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Sage » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:38 pm

The using/reusing/revamping of characters is always fun. Always. No doubt about this. In fact, I daresay there's nothing more fun than finding an old character and giving him/her a new incarnation. Keep up with it! You'll see :D

Best luck with your comic
Sage
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Three more characters have been done, and they are the last three for the core group of characters:

Pinball

The crux to my superhero universe, Pinball is probably the character who changed the least since inception. I never drew him/er before this incarnation and never had a set idea of what s/he looked like until this incarnation, either.

Pinball portals between worlds and his/er mystery of existence is what I intend to explore. I know what the answer is, but don't like to say due to it being the whole point of everything.

Michael

Michael started as a member of an ill-conceived superhero team event called the Bladed Heroes. He was the son of its leader, Blade (I later found out Marvel had a character with this name), who could pop a blade out of any joint (often being a poor man's Wolverine). Michael was Blade Jr. and could turn his whole body into blades. He later became manipulated by a group trying to discredit heroes and, based on a random trigger, would become a member of a group of villains that menaced Flame Thrower.

When I resurrected my characters, I could have thrown Blade Jr. away, but instead revamped him completely. Dropping the codename entirely, I instead let him be called by his first name. Now he encases himself in a jagged, rock-like substance. He is also now a transman, identical twin to Multiblades and in a romantic relationship with Rearranger.

Multiblades

She was once one of the members of the terrible Bladed Heroes concept. Her power at the time was to make blades appear wherever she wanted. Aside from this, she was completely undeveloped and rather forgotten overall.

However, I liked her and brought her back in my character resurrection. Her terrible name stayed, but I made her Hispanic and twins with Michael. As well, her power was altered slightly, to make her create jagged, rocklike shards from thin air. She is now also dating Flame Thrower.

All together

Together they are The Almighty Protectors (once just the Protectors until I found the name was already taken). There are three more characters that will be on the team, but only two of those will stay for the long haul. This five is the central group and the primary team to me.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Return to Other Comics & Cartoons