Free Comic Book Day comics

Moderator: Perihelion

Free Comic Book Day comics

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:38 pm

So, what all did everyone pick up today? Here in Redding, our comic book shop (a collector's store that contains some comics) only allowed four comics per person, so I had to choose carefully. They didn't have all the books that companies were offering, but they did have the major ones. Here is what I think of the ones I did pick up:

The Avengers
I think this is a good one-shot. I haven't read anything of Marvel's Dark Reign books, but this helps to set the tone of the world as it is and how the Avengers interact with each other.

Blackest Night #0
A great introduction to a series, if I do say so myself. It can grip people not in the know that Bruce Wayne is dead (I refuse to accept that it is permanent). Plus, it actually gives a good commentary on comic book deaths, and actually uses this as a plot point, it seems, for the later arc.

Savage Dragon #148
This looked so cool, since the Golden Age Daredevil was involved. Sadly, this was so poorly written, I couldn't get into it. This was my introduction to Savage Dragon and I must say, I am not impressed.

Shonen Jump Special
The Ultimo title actually looks quite interesting. They hype Stan Lee's involvement quite a bit, but he is the one who came up with the concept while Hiroyuki Takei actually did all the art and story. Takei definitely is a gifted artist, as well, which is what drives the story that feels like I've read its plot before.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Return to Other Comics & Cartoons