Disney is buying Marvel! god help us all...

Moderator: Perihelion

Do you think Disney buying Marvel is a good thing?

Yes
No votes
No
42%
Cautiously waiting to see...
58%

Total votes : 12

Disney is buying Marvel! god help us all...

Postby Perihelion » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:33 am

Yah so this has to be a sign of an apocalypse...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/business/media/01disney.html?em
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby Deadeas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:54 pm

It might not be totally horrible...After all, Disney does own Miramax and they frequently release things that aren't kid-friendly...Maybe Marvel will be the same way.
Drake/Iron Crusader: Masterminds - ISC
Aki/Qi: Five Fold Path - ISC
Deadeas
Sophomore

Postby Animal boy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:25 pm

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :D :D :D :D :D I love Disney! :mrgreen:
"Why should Northstar have all the fun?"-Hulkling
Animal boy
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Is anyone else wondering if we're going to end up seeing X-men the musical beacuse of this :P
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Chameleongirl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:38 am

Not too fussed about it myself. Disney just bought themselves a licence to print money. They're not going to do anything to endanger it.

Andy Hurley made a good point, so I'll quote his blog post:

Andy Hurley wrote:so, a ton of people have been asking on twitter as to what i think about disney’s acquisition of marvel for 4 billion dollars. well, it is definitely monumental. and for a lot of people, it is a little scary. but i see this as a really good thing.

we have precedent already with warner bros owning dc. this has only been a good thing in a lot of ways, because it allows the comic arm to do anything since there is no real bottom line that needs to be met every year. with pockets as deep as disneys, marvel could potentially do some amazing and crazy stories in the comics and not worry about how it does, and still see these projects to completion. im not sure if it will affect the max or icon lines, but i cant imagine it will. vertigo and wildstorm are still integral parts of dc’s operation..and joe quesada, marvels e-i-c has already said that the acquisition will affect the publishing arm in no way. i happen to believe him, as he has resculpted marvel into the juggernaut it is now, saving it from bankruptcy, and also being part, in whatever sense, of marvel studios, the film arm.

now that is what we all need to worry about, because id imagine that that is disney’s biggest factor in the purchase. they bought marvel as a 70 year old company with such a strong brand presence that they NEED to do nothing to help. that was the point. they now have access to thousands and thousands of properties, and movies and tv shows are the most obvious way that i’d imagine they plan on exploiting these properties. they didnt buy marvel so they could do jo bros comics. they didnt need to buy marvel to do that. they want to take it to the next level in hollywood, since comic movies are the hottest thing right now. and marvel has been the leader these last few years. with the exception of the dark knight, dc properties have been a huge failure at the box office. but marvel, with the recent creation of marvel studios (an in house company that allows marvel to control every aspect of the content since they finance it themselves, and therefore dont have to change ludicrously trivial things to appease studio heads, and also make all the movies from the beginning of marvel studios on be part of a continuity, something comic fans have begged for from the movies forever), has been absolutely huge. mainly due to iron man. but with the avengers movie coming, and all the movies being connected, it only seems that it will get bigger. this is what disney is attracted to. and why they did this deal before iron man 2, probably getting marvel for way less than if they did it after.

so, point being, the publishing arm (which is what i most care about) should flourish. no bottom lines to meet, no creative input from disney. the movies could be a problem once disney gets into the mix, but i doubt it since they have given pixar fully free artistic rein to do their thing. i see the same thing happening here. and the best part…pixar can now do marvel movies!!! and that could ONLY be sick. but we will see what the future holds. im sure some tv shit will happen that will suck, since abc is owned by disney. but lost is the greatest show ever, so you never know. they may put some great minds on a show idea and come with something amazing. i just hope these studio execs are learning from jj abrams star trek, and christopher nolan’s batman, and marvel studios movies… that in the right hands, with a real eye and passion for the material and forward thinking grasp of what needs to be done, is where good movies and good media come from.

either way, comics will def only be helped with disney advertising behind it. disney sees comics (as most big corporations do now) as movie idea spring boards. kinda shitty, but fuck it. great ideas will come out now in comics. my fave media/art form. and the marvel studios movies will be bigger with more money behind it. this could be great.

i truly dont expect an xmen/mickey mouse/jo bros/hannah montana book to come out. unless its a joke.

oh yeah, and marvel was already a big corporation in comics. so its not like they were some independent studio that is going to be fully made over to suit a bunch of suits. haha.
The Wolf House: Bloody *awesome* queer!punk!vampire e-book. Buy it NOW!

Chameleon may change her spots, but she refuses to do plaid.

I make super-hero finger puppets out of felt. Go Team Dork! :D

Bios: Chamelon & PowerUp
Chameleongirl
Sophomore

Postby Mr. Banana » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 am

Ohgod, ohgod, ohgod, this can't be happening.... This just HAS to be a sick, abhorrent idea of a cruel and inhumane joke. There's just no other logical explanation! PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!!! O_o;;

I will admit, Disney has done surprisingly well several of their movies (such as the 'Pirates' trilogy, for example) and several animated cartoon series ('Gargoyles' being one of them... damn, that's an old name-drop!); but in my opinion, Disney has a tendency to completely eff-up anything else they become involved with...

As long as Disney's involvement is in name-only - just on paper; I suppose nothing would change. But I can't help but feel as though 'Dis will hinder the creativity of the Marvel writers with their 'Family Values' and 'Clean, Wholesome Entertainment' bullcrap...

I... I think I need a drink... TT_TT
Mr. Banana
Sophomore

Postby Animal boy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 am

I doubt it... and I would love to see an x-men the musical! Squeeeeeeeee! :D ANd DIsney's movies are beautiful!
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Mr. Banana » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Meh, alright... I'm not all that optimistic about it, but I suppose I can give it a chance. :?

But one thing, though:
If they ever do come up with an X-Men musical, and for whatever reason that state that Colossus isn't gay, I am done! I am just DONE! :evil:
Mr. Banana
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:55 pm

I reserve judgment. However, I can't help but feel that Disney did this to keep on top of their rivalry with Warner Bros. Of course, I think of the rivalry as the Looney Toons vs. Mickey setup that hasn't been an issue for a while, since Looney Toons is not so large a factor as it once was.

What's next, though? Nickelodeon buys Image? Spider-Mickey? Another Brand New Day--putting Peter Parker back in high school? Or, positively, a Smallville-esque primetime live-action superhero series? The return of Spider-Ham (I liked him) and Star Comics? The return of 90s-quality Marvel animated series? So many possibilities.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm

WHat the hell is up with you people one of the greatest companies ever is buy another one of the greatest companies ever we should celebrate! :D
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Prince Blanche » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Well........ I will give it the benefit of the doubt. A part of me is scared that there might be changes that we might not like, but I pretty much have the same opinion as Chameleongirl, the fears are just lingerings doubts. So, I'll wait to see how it does and pray it does good (or at least that there aren't many changes for the bad...)
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby Darkness1 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Well AB, not all of us live in the happy world of delusion where the fluffy fun fun bunnies of Aldior prance and dance to Hannah Montanna and High School Musical.

Allow me to quote Bakura from YTAS:

"... a word so evil, so foul they had to censor it twice to get it passed standards and practices, now it just spells final." -B

"What did it say before?" -YY

"DISNEY." -B

Don't get me wrong I love Old School Disney, you know? Sleeping Beauty, Hunchback of Notré Dame, The Aladdin tv series. But leaving them in charge of Marvel? It's not really a thing I'm optimistic about.

Oh and your point about one good thing buying another good thing? That leaves us with one less good thing, so not a lot of celebrating. Although X-Men the Musical would seriously damage its reputation as a serious Marvel book.

Personally I don't see this as a momentous occasion, rather as one where we must lick our wounds and make sure nothing goes overtly bad.
Darkness is merely a cloak for my Pets.
Darkness1
Sophomore

Postby Zaejue Dehl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:24 pm

I don't care as long as they animate 'The Runaways'
Are you?
Zaejue Dehl
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:05 pm

DELUSION!? IT is NOT DELUSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And High School Musical and Hannah Montana is good music how dare you?!
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Prince Blanche » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Ok, I think things are getting to a bad point.

First of all, I, as I mentioned before, think that Chameleongirl is right: Disney is not going to change anything of Marvel, first of all because Marvel becoming part of Disney means they just bought the license to have more money. There may not be changes at all: it might become simply a branch while still retaining it's specific concepts.

Second, we must remember: just because some people don't like Disney it doesn't mean they can impose their belief on those who like it, and vice versa. Just because it is more idealistic than what people usually want or expect in fiction, it doesn't mean it's delusional; but also, just because a lot of people like disney stuff or consider High School Musical or Hannah Montana to be good music it doesn't mean that they must shove it down everyone's throats. AB, while I do think you are in your right to get upset, I do think that it wasn't a personal attack; and Darkness1, I know that Disney is known for making things shiny and optimistic and in your sense "delusional", but I need to add a point: first, we must think from the monetary point of view; would they change a cash cow franchise and risk losing its appeal and the money it brings? I don't think so, and while I might be wroong, I just think that there's no need to worry.

Also, I might remind people that Disney also owns ABC, which has the lovely show Desperate Housewives, which has more death, adultery, nudity and similar non-kiddy friendly stuff. It's just as an example I'm putting but maybe Marvel will be the same way: It might be owned by Disney, but the involvement is pretty much in name only.

Also, I agree with Zaejue: Given how I'm not exactly worried (and won't really be unless I see any substantial changes), I won't really care as long they animate The Runaways.
Prince Blanche
Senior

Next

Return to Other Comics & Cartoons