Scott Pilgrim

Moderator: Perihelion

Scott Pilgrim

Postby Prince Blanche » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Just wondering a little... any Scott Pilgrim fan around here? Anyone? owo
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Now I'm very aware of your avatar (and its broadcasting that you like Scott Pilgrim) with its glare, like it's threatening me to like the comic. But I haven't read it (and want to do so before I see the movie).
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:33 pm

I have yet to see the TV show or read the comic, although I heard there are a lot of video gam references, and as you guys may have noticed by my threads... i'm all about reference jokes.
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 pm

I've yet to watch the movie, but I do recall skimming the comic at a bookstore once (or maybe it was at the comics shop). Still, it looked pretty cool. I'll have to check it out again when I'm at the bookstore again :D.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Prince Blanche » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 pm

ShastaB24 wrote:Now I'm very aware of your avatar (and its broadcasting that you like Scott Pilgrim) with its glare, like it's threatening me to like the comic. But I haven't read it (and want to do so before I see the movie).

This amuses me quite a bit, but no, I'm not threatening. I hope o3o

Eh, it's one of my favorite indie comics, and I recommend it to anyone who likes videogame references, geekery in general, romantic comedies, action and overall quirkiness ^^ And yeah, it's better to read the comic book first, in my opinion.

Admittedly I preferred the comic to the movie, but that's just my personal opinion owo
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am

Prince Blanche wrote:Admittedly I preferred the comic to the movie, but that's just my personal opinion owo

You know what they say, "The book is always better than the movie." (lol :P)
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Prince Blanche » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Danny_the_'Net wrote:
Prince Blanche wrote:Admittedly I preferred the comic to the movie, but that's just my personal opinion owo

You know what they say, "The book is always better than the movie." (lol :P)

Eh, I'm not really of that opinion (I try to hold them to different standards) and I did enjoy both BUT, well... I did prefer the book. Mostly because of the treatment given to the latter parts of the plot, and how the last fight is handled, and such...
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 pm

The book is usually better than the movie, but there are exceptions, though it's a matter of taste. For instance, I've heard the Hannibal Lecter books are not very good, though the movies are quite loved. I thought Twilight was an okay movie (nothing to make me want to se the sequels, though), but I couldn't get past the first page of the book due to the insipid writing.

Still, I can remember when Jurassic Park came out, I insisted on reading the book first. I was 8, but I reveled in an intricate story about not just horror, but chaos theory and genetics. The movie removed the most interesting aspects (chaos theory gets only a passing mention, a rudmentary explanation). While it was still good, it still solidified in my mind the mentality that I needed to always read the book first if I could. This was helpful for Harry Potter, Watchmen, Wanted (goodness, that movie was absolutely nothing like the comic, resulting in not just a different set of events, but a different message, which should be the core of what is kept), and others. But then again, I was one of the few people who liked The Lost World: Jurassic Park when t came out because I hadn't read the book before I saw it that time (still haven't read the book).

But Scott Pilgrim needs me to read the source first. Comics are a wonderful medium and I need to know the story in its original form before I experience it in another.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:12 pm

ShastaB24 wrote:The book is usually better than the movie, but there are exceptions, though it's a matter of taste. For instance, I've heard the Hannibal Lecter books are not very good, though the movies are quite loved. I thought Twilight was an okay movie (nothing to make me want to se the sequels, though), but I couldn't get past the first page of the book due to the insipid writing.

Still, I can remember when Jurassic Park came out, I insisted on reading the book first. I was 8, but I reveled in an intricate story about not just horror, but chaos theory and genetics. The movie removed the most interesting aspects (chaos theory gets only a passing mention, a rudmentary explanation). While it was still good, it still solidified in my mind the mentality that I needed to always read the book first if I could. This was helpful for Harry Potter, Watchmen, Wanted (goodness, that movie was absolutely nothing like the comic, resulting in not just a different set of events, but a different message, which should be the core of what is kept), and others. But then again, I was one of the few people who liked The Lost World: Jurassic Park when t came out because I hadn't read the book before I saw it that time (still haven't read the book).

But Scott Pilgrim needs me to read the source first. Comics are a wonderful medium and I need to know the story in its original form before I experience it in another.

All excellent points, especially the comparison between the books and movies for Jurassic Park. I took the time to read through "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" long after the movie had come out, and to be honest, I enjoyed it a lot more. There were a vast number of differences between it and the film that really made the difference, and a lot had been cut. Still, that was probably because of time constraints, the film's budget, and a myriad of other things that would've hindered putting all of the excess stuff in there.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:08 am

I got interested in Percy Jackson because of the movie trailers and so I read the book first and learned just how bad the movie was... well I didn't bother. I can't help comparing works to see how accurate they are and changes drive me crazy, though that's just me and my personal quirk
"Why should Northstar have all the fun?"-Hulkling
Animal boy
Senior

Return to Other Comics & Cartoons