Heroes on NBC - He was gay... Now he's NOT!

Moderator: Perihelion

Heroes on NBC - He was gay... Now he's NOT!

Postby Perihelion » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:26 pm

NBC is confirming that the gay character Zach on Heroes is being re-written as straight!! The show claims it is for behind the scenes reasons that they are doing this. It was assumed it was due to Gay Panic at NBC but TV Guide columnist Michael Ausiello is being reported as saying that it is the Manager of the actor that plays Zach, Thomas Dekker, who has possibly threatened to pull her client from the show if they do not re-write it.

NBC needs to hear about this from us!

This is a link to a thread on the NBC forums on it:

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?s=1f3eaf902a9447d3c612476e2497e693&showtopic=719276

His official NBC MYSPACE page is at:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =118323429
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:31 pm

I just read this on another forum. It's very discouraging, to say the least.
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby The Hellion » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:42 pm

Oh great we're dropping back towards the dark ages

Bubonic Plague anyone!?
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Mercury Rider » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:38 pm

bubonic plague Yay me me I want some. :o :o :o :) :) :D :D :D :P 8)
But seriously I love the show And I think if Zack was gay it would be even coooler :P
Mercury Rider
Prospective Student

Postby Safeguard » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:03 pm

Thomas Dekker is wicked hot, those at NBC are just a bunch of cowards. They get the slightest bit of heat and they back away, like a bad zombie movie.

Next thing they'll have "Micah" type cast as a cheerleader....
"It's actually quite simple, but since you just recently begun to walk upright it may take some time to explain." Jace Beleren to Garruk Wildspeaker.
Safeguard
Senior

Postby The Hellion » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:56 am

Actually it was the guys agent who threw a fit and said playing a gay character would mess up his career. She threatened to pull him from the show and make a lot of noise about it

Phobe, she should just have stayed living in the dark agaes ,evidently the renaissance, sexual revolution and new millenium happened to everyone BUT her
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Perihelion » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am

exactly she was just afraid she might loose money cause it would be harder to pimp her client.
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:55 am

You know what? I just watched this show for the first time last night? haha

Ever since we got rid of our cable I've been missing a lot of things. . . but truthfully I never spent more than a couple of hours a day in front of the TV . . .

This show is amazing and I thought Thomas Dekker's character was already gay to begin with . . .isn't Thomas Dekker gay? He's too pretty not to be....
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Stupid stupid stupid

Postby JT » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:52 am

Sorry to be so late in chiming in, but somebody (an agent) is kind of behind the times.

Heath Ledger played a gay character in Brokeback Mountain and it didn't seem to hurt his career. (We won't discuss what did.)

Michael C. Hall played a gay character in 6 Feet Under, and he's got a new series, Dexter. No career damage there.

Chad Allen took some damage from being outed, but that's a different issue. Actually playing a gay character is considered a 'stretch', a career enhancer -- unless the actor is gay. Then he avoids it like the plague. So maybe Thomas Dekker is ... never mind.
"If I don't do the things that aren't worth doing, who will?" Ashleigh Brilliant
JT
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Whether or not Heroes was pressured into de-gaying Zach is a matter of debate still, but at least it isn't as bad as season 2. They had cast the cheerleader April as a lesbian but then the actress left the show. When that happened, they gave her role in the story to a similar looking cheerleader named May, but for some reason didn't transfer the lesbian storyline. Of course, the sexuality of all the cheerleaders but Claire was sort of swept aside.

I still have hope, though, that some of the characters that are already in the show could be gay, based mainly on the fact that their backstories have not turned anything up either way, if they have even been given a backstory. The Haitian is at the top of my list due to his overall mysterious aspect. Nobody knows his past and he could very well be gay and the show would have a reason for not telling us yet: he's the character about which we know the least, so until we know his name we know we haven't heard all about his life.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Marvel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:34 am

Dekker looks kinda creepy when he pulls back his hair though.

Oh and yeah, fuck that agent.
"Yeahbuwha?"
Marvel
Prospective Student

Very late to join the discussion.

Postby Impure » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:58 am

I read about this a year ago and the articles I read said that the agent was pimping Thomas hard for the covented John Connor role on the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Maybe it was less homophobia and more like she was trying to get the producers of Heroes to let Thomas out of his contract.

I love Heroes and I'm glad it is a success but it is a two edge sword. The powers that be will be less likely to make any of the MAIN characters openly gay although they will likely make some villian or secondary character gay this season as an after thought.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen at least one of the main characters as gay. I know there is a chance that Siler is gay, and as much as I personally would love the idea, I hope they don't do it because it will just reinforce the idea that all gay men are destructive, liars, with mommy complexes.
Impure
Prospective Student

Postby The Hellion » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 am

Well Peter being gay would solidify the belief all gay men are whining drama queens who focus every problem on themselves and make mountains of molehills.

I do hope they put in a gay lead - but they've already apparently killed off my fav character (Niki) so people with real issues seem to get the axe first in favour of emo cheesehead Peter who has super-problems.

If they could handle it well I'd like to see it but to be honest my faith in the heroes crew is slowly slipping since they are utterly dependant on Sylar and Peter.
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Promstar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Im hoping Monica is a lesbian :) that would be cool

If i could keep one in a box all for me have to be Adam!
Eleanor Renoir a nun in france, is fused with a street hooker in a mystical explosion. Artwork is from Pride High Comic, but character is mine!
[url="http://www.pridecomics.com"]Check out the comic![/url]
Promstar
Freshman

Postby Perihelion » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Sylar was going to be very minimally used due to his star trek filming schedule but.. that is not the case now... my hope is that enough of the storyline was done before that happned and we will get some other bad guys/girls.
Perihelion
Freshman

Next

Return to Other Comics & Cartoons