Hello...new to this site thought i'd show some of my work.

Moderator: The Hellion

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Oh man, if only I could draw that well. I also pray that the day happens that artists like ou would want to draw my characters--but it is difficult to have happen without the ability to get a comic up and running.

But I'm working on it. I know that the only way to teach myself how to draw is to practice, but I make up excuses left and right. Heck, I need to write more, too.

It's good to see more of your artwork. It always looks so good.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Shasta: Bruce Timm did a great series on how to draw a la the Animated superman and batman adventures, its easy, accessible and fun, keep an eye out i think some lessons may even be online. The styles not as excellent as PL's but its good and a nice starting point
The Hellion
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm working my own way through it with various drawing books and mehods. I have a photo reference book (from Impact), a manga drawing book, two physical books on how to draw in a comic style, a digital book on how to draw in three dfferent styles (cartoonish, ind of Ben 10-like and Manga), and two books on realistic styles. At the library, there are books on charicature, Western superhero, manga, and one specifically for Dragonball Z-style. Still, I have not cracked the open as much a I should lately. It really is a matter of actually applying myself, but maybe I am really looking for quick results.

My problem is mainly that am not cosistent. I mean, I believe that I can be technically better than Brian Anderson's art in So Super Duper, but he is consistent in his depictions from panel to panel, and it helps one forgive the lesser art quality (it's one of the yriad reasons people hate Rob Liefeld--he is not consistent). Even when I have been (semi-)consistent, on my aborted humor comic, it has not been in a style in which (I think) I could conceivably render my characters--and in part becaue my stories just need more detail than I can comfortably draw right now (if you look at the comic, you would notice how little I put into background elements and tended to draw people from the waist up).

Actually, come to think of it, maybe I should get into the practice of drawing those characters again. It would help me try and get things a little tighter if I can build off a base drawing style I already have used. Their main problem with being translated to being superheroes (to me) is the eyes--I seem to have quite a difficulty making ones look realistic, and I would at least want to draw superhero characters with irises.
ShastaB24
Freshman

More stuff.

Postby PowerLad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:29 am

PowerLad
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Is it bad that I automatically thought PowerLad was kissing Dion there? I'm not even of the camp that thinks that Kid Olympus absolutely must be gay (that's up to Tommy).

But it's a hot picture.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby PowerLad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Actually It's Jamie/Alex Dallas, a character created by Hellion in his stories A Boy to Remember and Stolen in a Tokyo Minute. Love those stories.

PowerLad
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:23 pm

JAMIEALEXBRIAN!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY
I remember this, also I note a change in your lineart, new software?
So cool, much love!
The Hellion
Senior

Postby PowerLad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Same software....i just have sharpies to work with on paper at the moment. Glad ya like it though...lol.
PowerLad
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 am

What I always notice about your artwork is your thicker lines to outline the figures than you use for detail. It's a interesting technique that I do not see elsewhere (or at least so pronounced). It helps you get drawn into the figures themselves, rather than your eyes wandering onto the background too much (I would assume).
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby PowerLad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:08 am

OK...I'm Blocked....Can't think of anything to draw...I need some Ideas. Give me some.
PowerLad
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Do you really want to do that? I'll just suggest my characters. Like I am not-so-explicitly doing now.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby PowerLad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Doodlin'
PowerLad
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Chibi Claire! So cute. And also angry. I don't think she likes being chibified.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby PowerLad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:06 am

PowerLad
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Chibi Suravi is so much happier than chibi Claire. I like it, and now assume the rest of the team is following. Chibi Chip is going to be adorable.
ShastaB24
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Art & Vids