Get acquainted with your fellow Pride High fans.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Postby shelby74 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:26 am

I found this place through the piece on that Pink Kryptonite site and thought I would dive into the books. Really enjoyed and thought why not join the forum too. How cool that people can create their own characters for the world.

Starting mine tonight

Any other character creators/fic writers out there with advice on how to dive into this vast world of Pride High I would surely appreciate it.

It seems a bit overwhelming for a newbie to get in their with any character they might have. I did check out the name list provided which was mighty helpful. But what other advice to people have?

Thanks
Shelby
shelby74
Prospective Student

Postby The Hellion » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:43 am

Plenty of advice:

Don't over power the comic focuses more on character then power :D

We have lots of magic, mutants and techs but we're short on aliens and cyborgs so there's an element to look at

Some powers we have lots of others we don't but that's no biggie

Post up a bio and remember that you can tweak it at your liking nothing is set in stone............just don't tweak it by saying everything before was a clone. Stan Lee will slap you

Have a chat with a few other players, read fics and the forums and the bios and the RP boards to get a sense for everything going on

Have a blast while you're hear, welcome to the boards Shelby74 feel free to PM me or anyone else on the boards if you want to talk or bounce ideas or whatever

The Hellion

H :)
The Hellion
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 am

Biggest piece of advice I can give is don't be shy. Dive straight in and hit the ground running. I agree with Hellion in reading the fanfic and rp sections as there’s some great stuff there, especially mine of course (please note my complete and utter lack of shame :P ).

So yeah that’s about it, welcome aboard the boards and PM if you need anything.
candyman1989
Junior

thanks

Postby shelby74 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:37 am

Thanks for the welcome and the nudging. Here's a biggie - what is the history of the characters are things I would rather let slowly unravel in a fic instead of spilling all the interesting stuff in a quick 5 sentence description of the characters history?

I think I might have a pair of stories I would enjoy weaving and would rather not hand readers cliff notes in the class roster
shelby74
Prospective Student

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:59 am

Well fill out the rest of the sheet and post that. In the history section just post links to the fics that you want to write. If you're going to do that also leave a note saying that you're happy to send people a history summary in a PM message if they just can't wait for the fics to be written.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Sage » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:40 am

Welcome--and naturally, I agree with those two.

As far as slowly unraveling in fics, that seems really cool, but just so you can have something and say there's something there at least, put vague allusions toward it (3-? vague sentences) just so the reader has something look forward to and flesh it out after the fics have been put up.

And Candyman's right for the rp. Read the posts that lead up to where you'll jump in, then just do it. Unfortunately, I never rp because it's so fast paced here and I'm afraid of messing up a good story, but Candyman and Hellion both are rp'ers for this board.

Again, welcome.
Is this thing on?
Sage
Sophomore

Postby Gryphon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:46 am

Welcome to the boards. I totally understand not wanting to just drop all your characters history into a little summary on their sheet, its come up for me on different sites. Of course, without the background, sometimes it can be difficult to understand why a character is what they are, which in case a quick explanation might be in order, if its really important to who they are. But otherwise I think the idea of the fics is a nice way to go.

Moonsage is right about the board speed, it can be pretty fast at times, but like she said, just read up on the posts and then go for it. You can pm the thread starter too and ask them about how to jump in or maybe even a summary should you get confused from the posts, which happens.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby Sage » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:32 am

but like she said

>.< IM A HE! MY AVATAR IS TSUNADE BECAUSE SHE'S MY GIRL-CRUSH! lol. its fine... for that matter, how many people think I'm a girl O__O;;
Is this thing on?
Sage
Sophomore

Postby The Hellion » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:33 am

You can be quite vague in the history, give an outline that doesn't give too much away and then just post links to the fics at your leisure, a slow reveal that means the bio still connects it all up but doesn't give it all away.

Just don't mimic wolverine's backstory.

It sucks :P
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Sage » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:42 am

Just don't mimic wolverine's backstory.

In total agreement. He wasn't even one of the original x-men... just the most successful because he was a loose cannon on the edge and they whored him out as the face of the XMen, ultimately making him THE MOST POWERFUL mutant in the world (even if they dont say it outright).. sorry, he makes me angry.
Is this thing on?
Sage
Sophomore

Postby Gryphon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:12 pm

Oops! Sorry Moonsage. I don't give much emphasis in pronouns myself, I'm mistaken for woman a lot (mostly on the phone, very annoying that.) But its generally impossible to tell online unless they have a name which is definitive , or if you look at profiles, but who does that?

I've always disliked wolverine, I could never relate to him and in most incarnations he's an ass. I have never understood his popularity. Granted in the movies and X-men Evolution, I actually liked his character, if not as much as others, in the former they still focused the story around him which I was saddened about since there are so many other characters they could have filled out.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:16 pm

It was okay to have a focus in X2 against Deathstrike and Stryker but what a waste EVERY other time

Wogoat got it right: he should be exhausted from all the team-ups he does

He annoys me the hell - though in Evo and the movies he's more bearable indeed
The Hellion
Senior

Postby MentalFloss » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:19 pm

My best advice personally is to just write, write, write... then go back and organize it. first it's bet to simply let your thoughts flow freeley.

Listening to themed music also helps me. you might find it useful yourself.

By the way, Welcome!
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Return to Member Introductions