Greetings from "the New Guy"

Get acquainted with your fellow Pride High fans.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Greetings from "the New Guy"

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey there gang, what's up?

I guess you could say I'm "the new kid" here on the Pride High boards. This is something really new for me, being a part of an indy comic fanbase and all. However, having read the first five issues, I'm already a fan of the series, and can't wait to read more.

Okay, enough awkward introduction babble (lol :P), time to dispense info!

My name's "JT," and we can just stick with that, since it's what my friends call me and its easier to remember. I'm also good with being called by my username "Danny" too, if you'd prefer. I picked the name in regards to one of my favorite members of the Doom Patrol from DC Comics. Danny the Street is such a unique character, and his presence such a breath of fresh air in an otherwise dreary series. Amid the Patrol's angst, Danny seems to be an optimistic light, whatever form he takes.

I found out about Pride High a while back, but the where and when escape me. However, I've only recently begun getting into the series more actively, and I'm really looking forward to creating some characters, RPing as them, and maybe writing some fanfiction. As an aspiring comic-book writer myself, I'm really inspired by what you guys are doing here, and hope that my stuff can one day be up there with your's in terms of awesomeness.

Currently, I'm in my early 20's attending a community college here in Oklahoma. I'm going for a degree in literature, with hopes of one day having one of my ideas published as a comic. But, I'm being realistic about things, and going for a minor in teaching to support myself while trying to get published.

Heh :oops: , I'm not sure about this next part, but I identify as being "straight." However, I don't believe in putting people in a box or putting them down because they have a different lifestyle than mine. It doesn't matter what someone's sexuality is, what religion they identify with, what color their skin is, etc. What I care about is who they are as a person, because that's what's truly important :) .

For my interests, I'm a product of the '90s/early 2000s. I love a lot of the cartoons from that era, primarily those focused around superheroes. I also enjoy Japanese anime a lot, from the '90s and a number of the ones being produced today (I'm currently watching Tiger & Bunny). You can usually find me jotting down plot ideas for fanfictions or original projects in my notebook as well. I'm currently working on an OEL-manga that I hope to pitch to a publishing company soon. Back before the economy tanked, I also used to take Hung-Gar Kung-Fu, but you know the story. My taste in musi is pretty diverse, ranging from Christian Rock and Classical to Swing/Smooth Jazz/Big Band and Heavy Metal.

Well, I suppose that's it. Thanks again for letting me on the forums gang, I really appreciate it. I hope to have some more interesting conversations with you guys in the future and that you'll like my creations when they are posted in the "Student & Faculty Registry" forums (like my profile pic, I'm waiting for the art before I unveil them :P ). Catch ya later gang!

- JT/Danny_the_'Net.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Well, hi. Welcome to the group.

I love the Morrison run of Doom Patrol and Danny is definitely an awesome character. Rebis is also interesting in his run--so aloof, though could tend towards Mary Sue or Deus Ex Machina at times (like at the end of the run). Pollack's run is my favorite. Coagula is a great character, and things really took an interesting turn in a way I wish had continued. Sadly, I think bad art did her in (I'm not a fan of Ted McKeever's artwork, at least not for that story--I've heard it works in The Extremist, though).

But the only character introduced in those runs which they brought back has been Danny, so you have a point in your favor--but who knows what's happening now after the relaunch.

I think it would have been interesting if Morrison had been able to continue writing Danny the way he was intending. He wanted Danny to become a member of the Green Lantern Corps, being "Street Lantern". I guess Mogo basically fills that sort of spot now, though he's an entirely different character in personality and such.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks, happy to be here.

Yeah, I enjoy a lot of Morrison's work, especially his run with the Doom Patrol and the Justice League. He gave DC some of my favorite characters, including Danny the Street, Coagula, Tomorrow Woman, and Zauriel (who I hope survived the revamp with his character/personality intact). As for Coagula, I agree with you on that. While I really liked her character, Ted McKeever's artwork wasn't really the best fit for a lot of the Patrol.

Yeah, I hope a few of my favorites characters managed to survive the relaunch in the "New 52." The way that Resurrection Man seems to be going, Zauriel might show up in future issues, though I hope they stick with his portrayal as a positive Christian character from the original universe. I loved seeing a Christian superhero who wasn't portrayed as in-your-face in a negative manner in terms of religion. He was kind, gentle, and forgiving of others, even to his enemy Asmodel after it looked like he killed the woman he loved.

As for Danny and "the Corps," I think Danny was fine the way he was. Like you say, Mogo sorta fills the role of a sentient world in the Corps' roster, and Danny himself seems to have already carved out a nice little niche of his own on Oolong Island with the rest of the Patrol.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Prince Blanche » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:46 am

Well hello there~ nice to see some new faces around ^^

Hope you enjoy the place :)
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:26 am

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the boards :D
candyman1989
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:51 am

Hey welcome its pretty quiet these days but fresh faces always help revitalize

(Danny the Street Reference?)
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 pm

The Hellion wrote:Hey welcome its pretty quiet these days but fresh faces always help revitalize

(Danny the Street Reference?)

So I've noticed (lol :P). A lot of these threads haven't been active for a while, but I hope we can see more activity in the coming months/years :). I'm almost finished with a few details on my characters for the Student Registry, so that'll have a new thread soon enough, and I hope that I can RP them, or at least write some fanfiction. I've never RPed before, truth be told, but I'm willing to give it a shot :D.

And yes, my username is a reference to Danny the Street, one of my favorite characters from the Doom Patrol. For some reason, Danny always stood out to me as a unique, chipper character with a lot of personality and energy in a team that was really bogged down with angst. Its the lesser known people that really grab my attentions, and its been that way for me ever since I read that issue of Spider-Man where we were introduced to Speedball, the Masked Marvel, for the first time :). The fact that they don't have that much recognition makes them more appealing to me for some reason, and they seem to have so much more depth and character than a lot of the big-name heroes do.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:16 pm

Prince Blanche wrote:Well hello there~ nice to see some new faces around ^^

Hope you enjoy the place :)

Thanks for the welcome, Blanche, happy to be here :D.

As for the boards, I'm already enjoying myself here :). For not being as active as other forums, Pride High's boards are really interesting, and a lot of fun to read. This place simply oozes with creativity and imagination, and I can tell everyone here really cares about the story in both the comics and those of their own characters, as well as others.

I can tell I'm really gonna like it here :D.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Ravenheart » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Welcome to the boards.
=^.^=
Cyan/Mystica (No squad)- "My magic might be black but my heart is pure"

Nora/Cytech (No squad)- "I don't play around, I fight to win" [subject to change,lol]
Ravenheart
Sophomore

Postby Animal boy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Welcome! :)
"Why should Northstar have all the fun?"-Hulkling
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes, Animal boy, Ravenheart, I'm glad to be here on the boards :D.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I wanted o make a light corection: Rachel Pollack created Coagula. Morrisson did create Danny, Rebis, Crazy Jane, Willoughby Kipling, Mr. Nobody, The Quiz, The Love Glove, Agent "!", Alias the Blur, Number None, Dorothy Spinner (as we know and love her--Paul Kupperberg actually created her), etc. for Doom Patrol, though. He really has a knack for creating interesting characters. And the weirdness of that series is so fresh, even today. I feel the current Justice League Dark is trying weakly to emulate it.

But where Morrisson had a lot of angst, Pollack had a different spin. Her additions to the roster were actually some very well-adjusted characters: while Cliff and Dorothy still angsted and brooded, George and Marion were happily in love and enjoying thir lives while Kate actually was kind of out of place on the team--she didn't think of herself as a freak, like Elasti-Girl did on the original team, nor did she look like one, either. It's probably why character development was focused on Cliff, Dorothy and the Chief.

But I always have felt Kate survived the explosion that supposedly killed her during the Arcudi run (which was not really Doom Patrol--more Teen Titans, I'd say). After all, she was established as having a power to access alternate realities through computers, which was separate from her main powerset, and Cliff was right there when Dorothy caused the explosion. It's been established that powers can kick into overdrive under high stress (like the explosion from Dorothy), so Kate may have instinctually had that happen and actually physically (or mentally--I don't know if they found a body) jumped into an alternate universe. It's just my way of reconciling them killing off my favorite character. It's like me thinking Artie Maddicks over at Marvel is faking being depowered so he can try and have a normal life.

But why must they try to write out the good characters? It's especially if they're trans, like Coagula or Xavin, because it always seems to happen. I can't think of any trans characters who are currently active in the big two (heck, expand that to include Image and Dark Horse and say the big four, because those are not really independent companies), which is sad, considering DC especially has no excuse--they just rebooted everything, so it shouldn't have been hard to just introduce one trans hero.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:06 pm

ShastaB24 wrote:But why must they try to write out the good characters? It's especially if they're trans, like Coagula or Xavin, because it always seems to happen. I can't think of any trans characters who are currently active in the big two (heck, expand that to include Image and Dark Horse and say the big four, because those are not really independent companies), which is sad, considering DC especially has no excuse--they just rebooted everything, so it shouldn't have been hard to just introduce one trans hero.

I know, right?! Seriously, Xavin's relationship with Karolina was one of the main reasons that I loved Runaways to death :D! They had such chemistry, such compassion, such.... I don't know what, but their relationship was strong, tender, emotional, and above all else, real. Whenever you read them, you really felt for them, and you wanted them to come out on top no matter what.

Seriously, both DC and Marvel need to bring back some of these heroes. Have the Runaways save Xavin from Karolina's people and tell them off as a buncha sparkly jerks, and DC, bring back the Doom Patrol, and Coagula along with them! They have no reason not too, especially given the fact that they just rebooted their entire universe, again!

Heh, sorry, I'm probably getting ahead of myself here. Conversations like this are probably what the "Other Comics and Cartoons" index is for :oops:.
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57 am

Aloha from SF new guy!
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:01 am

Aloha from OK, Mentalfloss :D!! Good to know you, my friend :).
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Return to Member Introductions