A Handy List of Etiquette

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

A Handy List of Etiquette

Postby The Hellion » Tue May 15, 2007 3:50 pm

This comes from a site I used to RP on. I think its important that there's a reference point for us all to look back on. Naturally its old it's about a year and a bit old now but I think most of the points are universal. If there's anything you feel should be added drop a line

The Guide To RPEtiquette

1. Respect
It won't kill you to respect a thread, remember that if someone made this thread they may have an idea for it. Don't charge in with your own plot or agenda, that's your own thread to make, don't shove it in the faces of others.

2. Mortality
It doesn't matter what powers you have, you're not indestructible (in fact even if you're gifted with the power of indestructability you're still not safe) don't go into overpower and "draw upon hidden reserves" just because you can't reach the pickles in the fridge. Keep in mind that that's a dramatic step and if its not used properly you look like an attention seeking yahoo.

3. Humanity
Respect other peoples powers. Gadgeteers and cyborgs especially. if you're attacked by a shark-mutant no use saying "Aha I have anti-shark spray", it's a very unlikely occurence. It's more fun to watch heroes improv. Telekinetics and people with gadgets are notorious for this, avoiding damage and always having a way to belittle powers. Remember even telekinetics feel strain when blocking attacks and gadgets can fail to go off or oops you left the anti-death-ray-shield at home. Heroes have to be adaptable not infallible. if you have gadgets decide at the very start waht you have and really challenge yourself and with superpowers...THINK OF YOUR LIMITS!

4. Substance
Flesh out your posts, three lines = sparse, show your character off, give their thoughts on events and where they are. Don't make them cardboard cut outs! But be warned, angst and referring to things in the distant past too often can lead people to rolling their eyes at you and wishing your keyboard would explode.

5. Develop
Small talk can be interesting, forums can breed ideas for fanfiction to actual events in TV series or comic books etc! Develop and nurture relationships between characters. That's half the fun!

6. Arrogance
if there is a main villain, don't presume to face them immediately or do a skywalker and ahve them be your father especially if its not your thread. Doing this is contrived, sickening and annoying. Also don't forget that supervillains are supervillains for a reason, you can't just run up to them and punch them out, they would have a way to defend and probably something formidable!

7. Diligence
NO chopping and changing your posts after you post, think before you post and only go back if you are a) asked to or b) make a big mistake

8. Clarity
Try labelling posts or making it clear where you are so people can jump in

9. Assistance
Help people, don't hinder them:
Bad example:
Person1: OOG: Mind if jump in here? [proceeds to post]
Person2: OOG: NO! Your character was with the captives and so you can't move ever ever ever! [proceeds to post like a jack@$$]

Good example:
Person2: OOG: Actually your character would have been captured. Maybe you could escape, or we could rescue you

Good Example
Person2: OOG: Sure [posts] Person 2 looked to Person 1 who had been quite since they set out...

Give chances and be welcoming. The tables could be turned some day soon.

10. Serenity
Don't attack people out of the blue or look into the sky and scream ZEPPLIN ATTACK unless its your thread and part of the thread. Sometimes getting another person involved in a thread is a good way to make it run smoothly rather than making action happen all of a sudden.

11. Flexibility
When you open a thread, be flexible, give opportunities for people to take the spotlight and don't hog the benefits. Remember to give chances for people with limits to their powers to use them. Also as a thread starter, if a player gets out of hand supply a point for him/her to be brought down a ped (human torch + falling water tank drenching him = result)

12. Powers
Don't chop and change your powers in an RPG...EVER. If you do this there will be pain. People hate it, its immature and the sign of an Omega (Superman) just because you're at a disadvantage or feel you're not in the limelight...doesn't mean you can "make an opportunity". Remember the other rules?

13. Teamwork
Work as a team, lone wolfing it for an entire RPG is really dull, if not for you than for someone else. It's fine to do but don't assume it makes you better. United they stand, divided they fall.

14. Emo-ism
Don't ignore posts unless they're "then Brett screamed as the knife of memory tore through his soul and his powers repositioned the moon as he remembered the night his family died, his brother was kidnapped, he was beaten, his house was set on fire, his dog died, he missed his bus, the old lady next door fell down the stairs and someone reversed over his bike".
This is horribly emo and a mindless display of power proves nothing and does not add to the story. In fact it causes some posters to "respond".....and not in a good way

15. Flashback
Flashbacks. Use sparingly, people can't really get involved in flashbacks unless telepathic or something.

16. Limitation
Show limits, do your best to show limits. Even emotional or mental ones, sometimes people don't handle the event very well. But just because you don't have inner demons doesn't mean you're not as interesting as the 56 year old war veteran with a scar and wooden leg. Not everyone has inner demons, but everyone has problems, so don't give them an addiction or make them suicidal because you don't feel "as dark" as someone. A personality is a personality, sure events can change them but don't conspire to become a gigantic emo cheesehead!

17. Adherence
Try to stick to the plot and subplots. Don't decide to spontaneously mutate or out of the blue fall out of love, take what is posted and see if it fits, if it doesn't don't try to make it. Remember that if you have a strong character you know how he/she would react to an event or person. Don't make every event personal or traumatic. It just bugs people.

18. Structure
If you start a thread have a beginning middle and end but don't try and control everyone, because then its just a fan fic. Have an outline and try to keep things within that outline. Don't chop and change or let it go haywire. At the same time, don't be so arrogant as to throw in your own plot to someone elses storyline. Subplots are fine, trying to make a big deal....not so muc

19. Exclusion
Do not exclude people unless necessary (ie because a psychic shockwave has knocked every telepath out and you have to wake them, that's okay but don't make a habit of it). Don't actively exclude a particular player unless you have a solid reason (if they're a bully or a really attention seeking poster) and always warn them.

20. Communicate
PMs are helpful, Use PMs to work with other players if you want to read minds or intwine histories. Don't take liberties or dismiss ideas. It never hurts to ask. OOG's even do the trick sometimes, communicate questions and thoughts between players!

21. Relax
Don't take everything too seriously. That'll kill the fun
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Chameleongirl » Wed May 16, 2007 4:57 am

Nice list Hellion, and probably a good idea to post. Even if you're an old hand at RP (which I admit, I'm not) it's always nice to go back over the guidelines.
Chameleongirl
Sophomore

Postby Perihelion » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:06 pm

This should be sticky!
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby Oe98 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm

@Anyone who reads this, really:

I've never really RPed that much before, so I wanted to ask this before I began here:

Concerning flashbacks, is it okay to have a post that leads into a flashback, and then quickly make another post that is an author's note that says "Keep going, I'll put the flashback here, then end it however you guys snap my character back into reality or something"? And then type up the flashback, get back to the page, and then edit the author note's post?

Example:

Post 1: "... which reminded him of that one time..."

Post 2: "((AN: Just ignore this and keep going; I'll put the flashback here, and use whatever way your characters snap my character out of it as how he/she snaps out of the flashback.))"

((after a minute or two, or 5 minutes))
((Refreshes page. Touches up flashback/Adds ending to flashback. Clicks to edit Post 2, highlights everything within it, then pastes flashback, then posts it.))

End of example.

I was just wondering, 'cause I realize that I might do flashbacks from time to time... and I don't want to upset people by making them wait.... Thanks for any information on this!
Oe98
Prospective Student

Postby Gryphon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm not sure I get exactly what you are saying, but I'll try to answer the best I can. Since its forum roleplay, you wouldn't be making people wait by typing out the flashback and including it in the first post - you shouldn't need to have multiple posts in a row. Most people don't respond immediately, so don't feel rushed.
Gryphon and Picasso

"The Soul has no Gender."
-Queen Christina
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby Oe98 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Gryphon wrote:Since its forum roleplay, you wouldn't be making people wait by typing out the flashback and including it in the first post - you shouldn't need to have multiple posts in a row.

Ah, thank you! I wasn't sure 'cause the only times I've RPed are offline or... well... the online times were with people I knew offline... and those died quite quickly 'cause of preferences of many of the other RPers...

Basically, I'm used to rushed replies. Thanks for reminding me that it's different! xD And for indirectly stopping me from making some people annoyed... >_>
Oe98
Prospective Student

Postby The Hellion » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Well it happens from time to time that replies come quick and fast, however not so much these days
it can be weeks between replies :P sadly

But yeah keep each post self contained, give people something to work with and make your whereabouts and mindset clear.

Dont try spread it out etc, take your time coz you have it
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 pm

(Raises hand and waves it around like he's back in high-school, lol) I have a question!

I've never really done a forum based RP before (although I did LARP once at an anime convention for kicks & giggles, lol :P), and I wanted to try it out here. However, the thread I'm wanting to post in hasn't been active for a while, and from what I read under the "assistance" and "communication" portion of the OP, it looks like I'd have to PM the person who originally started the thread before posting. Is that true?

Also, if two of your characters are intended to be in a "scene" to converse back and forth very briefly, is it against the rules to RP them both for that post before the other leaves and the rest of the time the remaining character is involved?
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:32 pm

You can possibly resurrect an old RP. I definitely am okay with any that I started being brought back to life, as long as it hasn't finished (the only finished one I can think of is Operation: Retention). It does seem to rely on the level of support as to see how far it goes, anyways.

And as far as RPing as another person's character, even for a short amount of time, I have seen it done, but you need to contact that caracter's creator. If you can't get in touch, then it's not a good idea, but if they say it's okay, then go for it (within any specifications they give).
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 pm

ShastaB24 wrote:And as far as RPing as another person's character, even for a short amount of time, I have seen it done, but you need to contact that caracter's creator. If you can't get in touch, then it's not a good idea, but if they say it's okay, then go for it (within any specifications they give).

Thanks for the info, but I wasn't talking about RPing another person's character. I was referring to having two of my characters in the same scene, with myself RPing as both of them (most-likely in a brieft back-and-forth conversation). Still, it's no big, the information provided was still very insightful :).
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, you can RP as up to two characters. There used to not be a limit, but there became one. Still, people aren't too annoyed when you break the rule, especially if it helps things keep going. It's just easier to monopolize a thread if you're using a lot of characters. Look at RPs I've been in and you'll see me use two characters often, but sometimes I'll use more (though I never intend to from the start).
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I see, that makes sense. On a different question though, can you still RP your characters even after you sign the form to have them considered for a cameo/recurring role in the comics? Since my two characters are going to be new to the Pride Universe, I'd like to make sure I do justice to them as best I can, so I'm asking all the questions I can think of at the moment :).
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Prince Blanche » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Well, pretty much everyone (as far as I know) has signed the form to have the characters appearing within the comic as either cameos or recurring roles and yet there have been no problems as far as I know with people RPing with said characters.
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby Danny_the_'Net » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I see. Thanks for letting me know, Blanche, I really appreciate the information. Sorry if it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm the new guy, and I'm just making sure that I've got all my bases covered so that I don't screw up later :).
Danny_the_'Net
Freshman

Postby Prince Blanche » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Dude it's ok to ask, it's not like we're gonna bite you or something :) If you feel better asking before jumping in then just do so, you're not annoying anyone :)
Prince Blanche
Senior

Next

Return to RP Corner