Moving Day (Closed RP)

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Postby Gryphon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:31 pm

* I understand. But it is still a lot of books.* He takes the stairs two at a time, pausing at the bottom for Travis before continuing on. Entering his old room was like walking into the Willie Wonka Factory for all the random and clashing colors that existed there. His staff and a final small box sat on the ground next to the door, while a desk chair with organic curves and a unique back made to work with his wings stood by the cleared desk. Tristan went over and picked up the chair, grunting slightly at the awkwardness of it. He nodded towards the staff and box and waited.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 am

Travis picks up the box in one hand and balances it on his hip, the staff he touches gingerly then picks up.

“Is this the lot?”

The fingers on the staff rub idly against the carvings.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Lacking his hands to actually sign, he nodded forcefully and projected agreement mentally. He started up the stairs, sparing a glance for Travis as he did so. By the time he reached the fourth floor, he was starting to think leaving the chair behind and sitting on the floor would have been better. Gryf set the chair down with a loud 'thump' in the hall and started pushing it along, sliding it over the threshold and into the room at once, at which point he dropped into it and breathed deeply. *You need not have been so cautious with my staff, It does not bite.* The comment was about three flights of stairs late, but it was the first time he'd had his hands free to sign it and he was stubborn about not letting a lack of voice prevent him from saying things. Of course now that he had signed it, it sounded rather more foolish and pointless than he thought.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:12 am

“I have many talents, divination isn’t one of them unfortunately. I make do with caution instead.”

Travis places the box on the floor at the foot of Tristan’s bed and leans the staff against the wall in the corner.

“Still I accept your point.”

He walks across the room and sits down on the floor next to his bed.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Unable to grunt noncommittally, Gryf instead nods as he picks up the most recent box and starts rifling through it. After a moment he sets it back down again and stares out the window. *I guess we should unpack now,* he finally signs, though he makes no move to actually start the process.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:51 am

Travis nods slowly.

“Yeah, you’re probably right.”

For an almost unnoticeable fraction of a second he looks, nervous?

“Actually we probably need to talk about a few things first.”

He reaches up to his neck and starts to toy with his pendant.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Gryf watches Travis's hands as the tips of his mouth turns downwards in a slight frown. *I do not need to read emotion to know that statement is never a good thing. What is on your mind?* He pulled himself straighter in the chair and glanced around the room, pausing a moment before getting up and shutting the door before turning around to face Travis again.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Travis follows Gryf’s line of sight and stills his hands, moving them to sit flat on his knees. To make up for having lost the ability to hear a person’s tone he first subconsciously and then consciously started to read body language. Displacement activity, like playing with jewelry is something he looks for in others and something he’s embarrassed about when others catch him doing it.

“There are a few things, some are serious and others are not.”

Travis shrugs slightly.

“For example, it’s probably best if I warn you that you don’t need to worry if I sleep for an entire day on the weekend. I can go without sleep by siphoning off my own energy but sooner or later I have to pay my bills.”

He pauses for a second before he continues.

“That’s a little thing. One of the larger ones is that you’re my third roommate here. The first one requested a transfer because he refused to room with the ‘mindless zealot of a heathen cult’ and the second was just plain uncomfortable with the idea of magic.”

He doesn’t realize it but his hand has gone back up to his pendant.

“Psionics and magic are the two powersets that make people the most uncomfortable, even within the sheltered environment of the school. In the field it doesn’t come up much for me, the spells I use there are magic masquerading as science, aside from the chanting you’d almost think I had some kind of ice based metagene. The thing is that in here that’s not the kind of magic I’d be using, it’s slower and less obvious but the effects are longer lasting and harder to stop once they build momentum.”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Gryf's face remained neutral as Travis spoke, his mind rolling around the words. When a pause finally presented itself, he signed, slowly. *I...have no issues with magic or believe that you are a mindless cult member. however, I cannot say that I am not concerned about the last statement. What kind of magic would you be using here, Slow and long lasting?*
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 am

Travis hesitates, it’s…difficult, to explain to a non-practitioner.

“Say that a family is being hunted by, umm vampires.”

He holds one hand out to his side and blue motes begin to swirl about his fingers.

“If I’m there when they are attacked I might summon a wall of ice in between them and their attackers while I fight them off. If I lose or get distracted it’s easy for them to punch their way through my wall. That kind of magic is flashy and fast but for the most part it’s temporary”

He holds out his other hand and this time there is no visible manifestation of power.

“If I know that family is in danger though, if I have time and resources to work with my options increase. I’d take a sunstone crystal and saltpeter. I’d add paper daises and put it all together in a white silk bag. I’d burn blue and gold candles and do a ritual to make it a spirit bag.”

He drops both hands and lets them sit in his lap.

“While that bag was inside the house no vampire could cross the threshold, even with an invitation. If I died or had to leave for some reason the power in the bag would persist until it expires or was countered by some other working.”

He breathes deeply and continues.

“I’m not sure I’m explaining this very well.”

There’s a seconds pause and one of his lighting fast smiles flashes over his face.

“On the plus side we get a special dispensation from the faculty from the rules against candles and incense in the dorms.”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:06 pm

As Travis spoke, the worry on Gryf's face faded and at the last statement he grinned as wide as his mouth would allow. *I do enjoy the scent of Sandalwood. If that is what you meant by long lasting and subtle, then I have no concerns. I am used to that kind of magic more than the quick magic you perform in battle. I was worried you were going to do spells that would affect us or our minds.* He paused, a momentary flicker of something crossing his face. *Are they any other not so dark secrets you need to share, or should I begin?*
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Travis tilts his head to the side and thinks for a moment.

“No I’m pretty sure the rest can wait. Although if there’s anyone who looks in on you magically you might want to warn them that they’ll have trouble seeing in here.”

He fidgets for a second getting more comfortable.

“What do you need to tell me?”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50 am

*I do not like being watched magically anyway.* He shrugged. Now it was his turn to shift around uncomfortably as he averted his eyes slightly, something rather taboo for him, though he brought them up again quickly. *Well, there are two things of importance which you should know. First, I will not be here for one night preceding and following a full moon. I still spend that time in the infirmary. The disease is dormant, but I am still under observation and will likely be for the rest of this year.*

He took a long breath as he paused. *The other...is more personal, but it may not affect you. I cannot sleep with this," he taps his headband, "as the same field it generates to contain my empathy also prevents REM sleep. Therefore, when I dream.....the emotions I feel while dreaming tend to lace themselves into the dreams of others immediately around me, especially when they are particularly potent.*
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 am

Travis nods slowly.

“I see, it’s a sensible precaution I suppose. Especially given the species you were bitten by.”

He pauses from a moment then continues.

“Don’t be concerned about overflow on my account. My iceheart goes into dormancy when I’m asleep so I am open to most emotions but if they get to intense it’ll come on and wake me up.”

This time its not so much pausing as outright hesitating.

“If you don’t mind I’m curious about something. Do you wear your headband all the time except to sleep?”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 am

Gryf muddles over the question before shrugging. *I do not wear it all the time. When there are not many people around I remove it. I can handle keeping my emotions in and others out for small groups. But it tends to be safer in a school environment if I have it on. There are not any specific events other than sleeping really.* A thought occurs to him and a slight blush builds in his cheeks, though he does not sign it.
Gryphon
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to RP Corner