Seven Days of Bad News

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Seven Days of Bad News

Postby The Hellion » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:42 pm

PLOT:
The Hero Project in the not too distant future is a global network of heroes united in combating the worlds criminals. Your characters are on assignment for the Project, investigating the Langdon Institute, a large facility in the Swiss Alps specializing in superhuman psychiatric problems - it even has a facility for the clinically insane heroes and villains.

However a report has come from a precog that there is something happening in the facility run by Dr. Albertine D'Aubignine. Your adventure begins in a Hero Project Pegasus Jet as it flies towards the foot of the mountain, you need to take a cable car up due to the lack of safe landing space for the jet and also for security protocols. someone can stay on the jet to provide support if they like

What to Expect
3-4 Countries
Search scenarios
Action decisions
Mystery to be solved
Alternative paths and endings
Fights, diplomacy and stealth hopefully in equal measure

Limits:
One character (for now)
Established characters only
Bear in mind the approximate time since graduation is six years - thats a time but not enough to have become a god...unless youre jean grey...

Also:
If you want a patient to appear at the institute and possibly as a secondary villain please PM me and cite:
Name
Codename
Power/s (Briefly)
Limits/Weaknesses/Containment Scenario(s)
Very brief history
Psychoses

= Pegasus 12 - en route to The Langdon Institute, Switzerland =

Snow Capped peeks and sheer rocky walls flanked the jet as it cruised low through a valley on autopilot, it would have to be piloted to land. Dani sat back in her chair dressed in black snow gear of the most stylish variety - as per her reputation as Mrs. Winterbourne.

She sipped the hot cocoa, the marshmallow bobbled up to tap her on the nose but never made it. Dani turned back to the small desk on the back of the seat before her where she had files on the institute open. "seems there is a very nice alumni here indeed, some very charming psychopaths...oh look heres a former bomb disposal expert who thinks he's Napoleon...codenamed Napoleon Blownapart...oh how quaint" she muttered.
The Hellion
Senior

Postby TailsofElements » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 pm

OOG: Is Mrs. Winterbourne her new Codename or last name?

Kiran laid back in his seat, his winter clothes piled in the seat beside him as he relaxed in the sunlight in a pair of shorts. His usual bag was nowhere to be seen as a book on magic theory laid in the seat with his clothes. "Hmm? Did you say something Mrs. Winterbourne?" He looked out the window and noticed how close they were. "Shoot, I should get dressed." Kiran proceeded to don on his thermals followed by a set of faux gray fur archer outfit. He may have abandoned his bow but he still loved the get up.
TailsofElements
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:43 am

OOG: Married name, she married the same guy here as she did in the MDVerse

"Commenting on some of the inmates - appologies, patients - i see Giuseppe Madretti is here, the former ringleader of La Cirque Fantastique" she added indicating a picture of a portly bushy-moustached man in a straight jacket. "Turns out gazing into the mind of an upper level demon drives you insane"

The jet continued its approach. "Arriving in 20 minutes" Dani read off the display
The Hellion
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:04 am

Travis sighs and stretches. Getting out of the chair he’d been napping in he walks over to the jets window and lays a hand on it. Snowy air swirls around outside hand forms a hand shape briefly matching his.

We’re nearly there, not much longer love

He gets a strong sense of happiness as the hand shape fades. He walks away from the window and to the little kitchenette. Pulling out a travel mug he starts making fresh coffee to fill it with.

“Hey Dani what was the Precogs name again?”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:49 am

"Rosa Blaine" Dani replied. "Very reliable but limitted in sight - she sees certified events but not the variable details." She gestured at the files. "Hence the reason we need to investigate ourselves."

The Langdon institute came into view. "ETA - 10minutes" the computer reported
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Gryphon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:01 am

Tristan, shifts slightly from the sandwich he was making as Travis enters the room, giving him a slight nod. Finishing up, he moves back to his seat and begins eating his 4th sandwich of the flight. He shifted uncomfortably, his wings making the seats awkward for him, not that this was new. Holding the sandwich in one hand, he fumbles to sign with the other, projecting when he can't complete a sign, *What sort of precautionary measures does the institute employ for its patients?*
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby TailsofElements » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:23 am

"This institute better not have the bullshit that they the patients are loose but monitored to insure the safety," Kiran commented, currently upside down as he stretched his legs, "Last time I was at a place like that, there was an uprising and they had to call in eight other heroes just to restore order. I think the human shield had to burn his old costume. Turns out crazy people can still plot...and ruin leather." Kiran smirked at his own joke. He quickly returned to his feet and began to look over Dani's shoulder.
TailsofElements
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 pm

OOG: This isnt MDVerse its whatever you like

Dani remained emotionless in light of the joke and amusing sandwich actions. "The files say they are maintained in cells, the facility is built with a simple structure, the more dangerous they are the deeper they are planted in the ground, and the less they are permitted out, they have observation rooms with heavy sealing doors and each patient is kept in a cell to dampen their powers - or to make it dangerous for them to try and get out."

She flicked over a page. "Dr. D'Aubignine claims a holistic approach is used, regression therapy, counseling, as opposed to aggressive therapies as used by the foremost super-asylum in the world Ravenmoore Asylum or the more dangerous Stafford Sanitarium on Bedlam Island"

The plane was approaching the landing strip near the cable car chalet on the edge of a cliff. "We're here to observe...no snooping...unless I give the go ahead. We dont want to make enemies here - well aside from the ones we chucked into the cells"

The snow crunched under foot as they approached the cable cars with the armed guards. "Hero Project here to see the Facility director" Dani said.

The guards allowed them onto the cable car and then sent them up on their own.

"They dont get in themselves in case they need to drop us into the chasm" Dani explained to the others as they settled in. "Now - here is a transcript of Rosa's prediction"

I see Switzerland
I see a place of healing poisoned
I see madness breaking its banks and flooding out
I see the leader has a headless man in his bed
I see he shares that bed with many others
I see the days are numbered
Trust only the nothing
I see a flight from the madness to seek out more
I see Secrets beneath stone and snow
I see disaster, chaos and pandemonium as the mad laugh their way to hell
I see war on the horizon lest madness be calmed
The Root must sever the branches til all seven become none

"Cheery eh?"
The Hellion
Senior

Postby TailsofElements » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:50 pm

"If by cheery you mean disturbing. I can just imagine that girl doing the spooky voice and the room getting darker," Kiran shuddered while he read his book, "Hey Still, did you know...." He trailed off before he said anymore. He was so intrigued by the magic theory that he kept telling others about it like they never heard of it in their life. If glares could freeze, and with Travis they more than likely could, Kiran would've been a lightcicle for all the times he had done it to Travis.

"My guess is someone is doing something they shouldn't and making an army of insane people and we have to help the root beat the junk out of some seven branches or something. Sounds very herbal to me" Kiran rambled, "What do you all think?"
TailsofElements
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:10 pm

*Someone is always,* he paused as he grappled with the last bit of sandwich, *doing something they should not be.* Licking the dripped sauce from his finger tips, Tristan shifts forwards in his seat, looking in Dani's direction.

*The first three statements are clear - The Langdon Institute is in Switzerland and is a place of healing, which has somehow been corrupted, poisoned. The madness would be the patients. The question however is whether the flooding is meant in that they escape or that it is contagious and others are going insane. Until we begin investigating, I do not think the rest is very useful. Any conjecture on what it means at this time is potentially lethal.*
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:19 am

"Agreed" Dani nodded. The cable car began to squeal as it came into the station on the institutes plateau. "We approach with caution. We handle this diplomatically and we dont cause a scene"

They stepped out to finde Dr. Albertine D'Aubignine waiting. She was a prim woman, her hair tied back in a French twist, she wore a long white lab coat with an ID tag pinned perfectly level on her left breast and underneath that she wore a green dress that was semi-formal in design. "Mr. Winterbourne...assorted others" she turned on her heel. "If you'll follow me to the lounge I have a presentation prepared to have the facility explained to you - I'm sure you're very busy"

"Not at all - in fact since we have such free time you can give us a walking tour of the facilities"

No sign of emotion flashed across her face. "Certainly - the facility is divided into five sections, our visitors area and residences, our staff dormitories and maintenance facilities, our medical and treatment area, our security and generator area and our wards for patients. It is all explained in my presentation"

"What say you gentlemen?" Dani asked the others

OOG: compiling my list of key patients now - please submit em if you have em
The Hellion
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:05 am

Ever since Travis left the plane there’s been a thin streamer of snowy air wrapped around or at least near him. Sometimes it takes the form of a scarf and other times it ruffles his hair. He no longer wears his armor or cloak instead he’s in jeans and a long sleeve shirt, he doesn’t look at all out of place on the street since it certainly isn’t a costume.

“I have to admit Doctor I’d rather look around in person.”

He gives Albertine a warm smile and notes the lack of responsiveness in the back of his mind.

“While we walk I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me.”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:11 am

"So long as they do not violate patient doctor confidentiality - we will take a quick tour of the medical facility, follow me please" she turned on her heel and marched towards the facility,

The elevator dropped a floor to a well lit corridor - the cells had been set up as minimalist ones, each with a bed, a frosted glass bathroom stall, everything was white and crisp. Dr. Albertine seemed to like the color white.

"As you can see we have provided a basic template, the minimum security prisoners are currently playing shuffleboard" she pointed towards a balcony with a glass roof and walls. "Reinforced Turboglass prevents any suicide attempts and they are monitored constantly, suicide watch especially."

Dani tapped Tristan on the shoulder and pointed. A man ambled up to him, handed him a clay doll and then ambled away. "That was Captain Fantastic" she whispered.

"Our dieticians see to all patient dietary requirements, we even keep a blood bank for a few vampire guests. We also use it to ween cannibals in the lower sections off their diet of human flesh. Any questions?"

====

The figure pressed itself free of the cable car roof and slithered up the cables into the gear mechanism. Going from 2D to 3D as it did
The Hellion
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:20 am

Travis looks around taking it all in and the little stream of snowy air slows down behind him and drops low to the floor making it’s way towards Captain Fantastic.

“Leave him alone please.”

It hesitates a second then rushes back to Travis messing up his hair.

“Doctor how long has this facility been in operation? Were you part of the founding team?”

He reaches into his pocket and takes out a pair of glasses, rubbing his eyes before he puts them on. Once they’re on they world changes into shades of grey, except for things or people touched by magic which have a blue glow of varying strength.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:29 am

The doctor (with glowing hands to Travis) nodded. "The facility has been active for the past twenty years, my family were involved with the more - shall we say -traditional Ravenmoore Asylum. The place superhuman psychotics were traditionally placed. My mother insisted on new methods and with family money converted our chalet into a secure facility for select new methods. I took over the facility while she returned to Ravenmoore to affect change from within."

"We currently have 30 psycho therapists, 180 orderlies and security staff on rotation and approximately 90 patients. We now receive funding from innumerable political, public and private sources"

She nodded. "We have taken to using magical warding and treatments, hiring our own superhuman staff members and investigating telepathic councelling."
The Hellion
Senior

Next

Return to RP Corner