Retribution Chapter 1: Fight Your Battles

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Postby ShastaB24 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:10 pm

"Uh... nothing," Grant said. That was Gaelic, he thought. He'd become quite fluent in it over the years since trying to find everything he could about dragons, to better help him know his strengths and limitations. Kal, that's the word for "grant".

The man knew Grant would be watching the video, that much seemed certain. And, it would stand to reason that the man wanted what was said to remain private. Grant knew he couldn't tell Override what was said, where he needed to go after this excursion.

Grant looked at the files. There was one labeled "Myr Paerys." He jabbed his finger at the icon. "What about that one?" he asked.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed May 26, 2010 1:51 am

Another screen flickered on the instant he touched it.

Override squatted down and tapped the ground. a virtual chair appeared and he took a seat and reclined.

"I feel like I'm watching 'lost' he chuckled to himself as he clacked away at a keyboard in front of him.
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Note: I've changed the title of the file, after finding out what actually fits. You should know, as well, that the myth and all of its variations mentioned is not a real one as far as I know.

The folder opened to a text document, riddled with pictures--photos of various relics and parchments, scans of drawings and figures. It said:

Annym Stroieder is the name given to a little-known figure in Celtic mythology. In Manx dialect, the name means "Soul Destroyer". Annym Stroieder is said to have risen to prominence in the countryside by devouring men's souls and thereby gaining all their knowledge. A woman named Gueshag was the first to legitimately oppose him, but she was killed, as well, and he took her knowledge of sorcery, which he augmented with his own powers to find a way to be immortal.

Decades later, a boy named Thalhear faced Annym Stroieder and, using a sacred sash and an incantation, banished him to a far-away land. Thalhear left the area shortly thereafter, knowing that Annym Stroieder would search for him and that therefore his village was not safe. It is said that Annym Stroieder searches the Earth for the man who beat him, and that Thalhear has been in hiding, preparing for the day he knows he must face the man.

Scholars have been frustrated by the lack of study afforded to the myth. Nobody even knows if Annym Stroieder was based on a real person, as it is impossible to obtain historical evidence. No character in the story has a true name. Aside from Annym Stroieder, Gueshag is the word for "sorceress" and Thalhear is the word for "tailor". Some have pointed to this as a reason that this myth must not have been based on true events, as a powerful sorceress and a hero would only be known by their professions. This contingent also wonders how a tailor could possibly have learned such a powerful incantation.

Stories intermingle throughout cultures of a similar entity. The Hindus have a tale of a light-skinned man who appeared from the sky and was thought to be a male incarnation of the goddess Kali. The trail heads through other cultures, as there is a man thought to be any variation of evil figures or trickster gods. These additions lend credibility to the argument that the myth is real, as the timelines seem to match and the descriptions are relatively similar. For decades, historians argued that it is just coincidence; that no folk tale could jump continents like that. The tide began to sway when people began emerging with powers and magic was shown to be a real force. Now the question as to the authenticity to the story becomes: how long ago did people with powers come to be?

A note on the file said: Possible link to Sees. Is this his ancestor, or is this Annym Stroieder posing as a civilian he came across? Could be a coincidence, but we need to explore it to be sure.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:33 am

"Hmm..." override nodded. "looks like a good time to some on-hand detective work!"

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:01 pm

"Uh huh," Grant said, still thinking about it. It seemed so obvious why the old man wanted to see him. "D'you think I should get out of here? You might be able to do this bit on your own." He was hoping that Override would say yes, so that Grant could see the old man without anybody getting in his way.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:00 am

Override took the cue and clacked awy at his virtual keybaord again.

a glowing black-violet hexagon appeared before them, "this will take you back to the real world, this hyperlink is tuned to your thoughts, so keep one single computer in mind and you'll exit cyberspace there!"

He smiled at Grant, "good luck!"

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Never can be too careful... Grant thought and stepped out at his computer. He didn't want people getting suspicious if he was supposed to be in his office, but not able to be found. He straightened his suit a bit and walked confidently out of the room.

Amber grumbled and rubbed her eyes. "I... fell asleep?" She jumped up to stand, accidently throwing the cat off her lap. "Jen, what were you thinking? You know I don't need sleep anymore." It was true--each personality needed rest after too long in control in order to rest the mind, but the body itself didn't need it. Still, the desire for sleep and the pattern of sleeping rather than retreating into the mind was hard to ignore.

Amber stretched and yawned, grumbling. She looked around the place and how barren it was. Times like this she wished she had food on hand. Or a shower. She was stinking a bit.

Amber grabbed a piece of paper from her pouch and studied it. She'd looked at it a thousand times, she was sure, but she never trusted her memory. "Food first," she yawned to herself. There was a restaurant a few blocks away, and she had to steel herself before she even thought of rifling through their dumpster.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

The cat bound from her lap and landed nimbly on the floor. He purred as he walked up to her again and looked at her, almost as if to say "so where are we off to?"

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Amber looked down at he cat. "Sorry, kitty, but I don't think I'll be able to feed you. You can come if you want, I guess." She made her way back to the way she came in and checked the entrance. Nobody was there. She crawled back out and started walking purposely towards the businesses.

Grant strode through the compound with purpose. "Hey," came a voice behind him. He turned around to see Just Plum Awesome standing in the doorway to an office. "We're meeting in here, man."

Grant sighed. "Can't we do this another time?" he asked.

"Nu-uh. My squad members are itching to get out and start searching some more." Awesome reached into one of his pouches and pulled out a bag of chips which was far lrger than what should fit in said pouch. "Besides, I brought snacks."

Grant couldn't help but grin a little. "Knowing you, you brought some other 'refreshments'."

Awesome smiled. "Ya want some of tha, too? I got Coors, Bud--"

"No," Grant interrupted. "And you'd better not let anybody else know you have that stuff on you. It could get you thrown out of this faciliy." He walked up to the doorway. "We have to make this meeting quick."

"Sure," Awesome said as Grant passed him. He held up another snack as this happened. "Ho-ho?"
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

(lol miss me?)

Override clicked away at the keyboard in cyberspace still looking for more intel on Grant's case. when he came across an old fire in the system....

"what the....?" he gasped.

The Arabian girl was curled up in a small apartment in London, she was peering into an hourglass which she held sideways with equal amounts of sand in both sides. through the hourglass she was able to see everything through the cat's eyes. She gazed intently and watched Amber's every action almost as if she was looking into her soul.

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am

Grant and Awesome settled into seats. "This is crazy, dude," Awesome said. "I keep thinking about it. Do we ever get any rest? We spend all that time fighting the Wistils only to get home to find the Sees situation erupt. And I could swear there were some other interesting things happenning at that school."

"Let's just focus," Grant said. "I need to get going, like I said."

Awesome leaned back in his chair, digging into his bag of chips. "Okay, so I've been doing sweeps of some interstellar depots. No sign of him there. I don't think he ever leaves Earth."

"Never underestimate a magic user," Grant said. They could theoretically hide anywhere, with teleportation and Glamour spells."

"You really think he knows those spells? From what I heard, magical residue from a teleport alone is big. Wouldn't sorcerers be able to find it?" Awesome asked throug a mouthful of chips.

"Oh come on. Who knows what powers she's picked up or figured out how to use by now? If she has absorbed the soul of a teleporter, then all bets are off."

"So you keep saying, but I think you're being defensive. I know your brother was sweet on him, but--"

"Don't you dare go there," Grant interjected.

"All I'm saying is that I think you're compensating for what happened to Mia."

Grant growled. "My personal feelings don't even come into account. Besides, I haven't seen Vince since before the Klaakith even gathered us up."

Awesome put up his hands. "Whoa, dude. I was just saying. I know Team Seven is looking for Vince, anyways. There's a lot that he could probably tell us about Sees."

Grant stood up. "I don't like being reminded that my own brother is a suspect in this, Jason. Just... look in the Alpha Gedhri section, okay? One of the souls she absorbed is from there."

"Sure," Awesome said, grabbing another handful of chips. Grant started to leave. "Oh, and I really am sorry, Grant. Tell your mom I said hi."

"Fine," Grant mumbled and left the room.

Amber made her way to th back of a restaurant and opened the dumpster there. She nearly staggered from the smell and saw the cat as she did so. "You're still here?" she asked. "I would have thought that you'd have an owner, or something." Jen, ou just had to pet the freaking cat, didn't you? she thought. Steeling herself, Amber reached into the dumpster and pulled out a half-eaten piece of toast. "Lovely," she said with a disgusted look on her face. She took a bite and looked down at the cat. "I think you want food, don't you?" She looked in the dumpster again and sighed. She muttered a couple unintelligable words and looked annoyed. Mumbling some other unintelligable words, she was able to levitate a piece of fish which had coffee grounds al over it and was sitting next to a dead rat. "Oh screw it," she sighed as it was levitating so slowly and drew her word, skewering the meat and flinging it in front of the cat.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 pm

The cat sniffed the fish and numbly ate it. It purred and sat down next to Amber. the tip if it's tail twitching with curiosity.

"How are things coming along? Are we going to see progress?" It was Latisha Boyd; AKA: Gemini Girl.

"The higher-ups are getting restless with you... Nee any help? I'd hate to see you get shitcanned."

Grant had a sudden memory of her years ago when she would always be wearing raver gear with a candy necklace and a binky....

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Previous

Return to RP Corner