The Faded Star

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

The Faded Star

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 am

The pastor farewells each of his congregation as they leave the church. Unusually no one seems overly inclined to linger. He’s not upset over the fact naturally, if people don’t need his help then it’s a good day. He closes the door after the last of them but doesn’t lock it of course. Turning he makes his way back towards the altar, it’s then he notices the only other person still in the building, a figure sitting in the pews.

Approaching from behind he lays a gentle hand on the figures shoulder.

“What can I do for you my child?”

Travis turns his head and smiles at the older man.

“Actually for once you’re the one that called for my help.”

There’s a warm fire in the room. Travis and Father Pearson sit opposite each other and sip their drinks.

“So…”

The priest shakes his head and laughs faintly.

“As impatient as always I see.”

Travis shrugs.

“Time is always something I’m short on. Besides which your message said it was an urgent matter not a social call.”

This time when the Father bows his head it’s in sadness.

“It is at that. A problem has arisen which is outside my capabilities but I feel might be within yours.”

Travis frowns.

“I take it we’re talking about a supernatural danger?”

The Father nods.

“A haunting at a local hotel. It’s been recently purchased and members of my congregation are part of the reconstruction crew.”

“You tried to excise the entity?”

“I can’t make it past the threshold.”

Travis nods and rises from his chair.

“I’ll handle it directly.”

He makes to leave but the old priest calls after him.

“Be careful Travis, I can deal with normal spirits, there may be more here then you expect.”

Travis smiles faintly.

“Perhaps there is but your power relies on faith alone whereas I can draw upon other sources.”

He leaves the room.

Travis drops down over the fence and makes his way to the Faded Star’s front door. He tries the handle and finds it’s locked. Swearing quietly he makes his way around the side of the building looking for a way in. He passes the abandoned machinery of the workers, weeds and vegetation already starting to climb their sides, much faster then they should.

Having done a full lap and not found an opening he contemplates breaking a window but the front door slowly opens. He darts through quickly and doesn’t feel any of the resistance Father Pearson mentioned, though the door does slam shut behind him.

Rolling his eyes he reaches into his backpack and pulls out a battery powered lantern, which he uses to illuminate the lobby. Despite the building’s long time spent deserted it’s in remarkably good shape, hints of its former grandeur peeking through.

Making his way through tables and chairs covered in inch thick layers of dust he makes his way to a clear portion of floor. He sets the lantern down on a table and pulls a tablecloth off of another, using it to clear a portion of the polished wood floor of dust.

A grandfather clock begins to chime, continuing well past twelve but he can’t hear it and doesn’t react so it peters out and stops. With the floor clear he empties out the contents of his backpack onto the table and examines it’s contents with a grim smile.

The candles go first, an outer ring of five black then a ring of six blue then finally a an inner ring of five white. Next a long cord with evenly spaced knots is lain down at the very out skirts and he settles into the center of the circles he’s made.

With crossed legs he closes his eyes and falls within himself. He drives out distractions and rededicates himself to his purpose. He reflects on what he is there to do and the tools he has to do it with. Dust rises from the floor and swirls around him but he doesn’t even cough and it seems to hesitate then drops back to the floor.

Time passes and he’s finally ready. Opening his eyes he rises to his feet and snaps his fingers. The candles light, lit by a blue flame that steals heat rather then give it. At this first use of his magic the tables and chairs in the room rise to the air and slam angrily into the barriers he’s erected.

Travis smiles smugly and looks upwards.

“That the best you’ve got?”

Minuets later the silence outside is broken by an agonized cry from the hotel…
candyman1989
Junior

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 am

The Faded Star.

In this RP there will be times where things will be determined via dice roll. The way rolls will be made will be a variant of the rolls made in World of Darkness so for that purpose I humbly request that any character’s taking part be listed in Hellion’s data base thread with stats where I can see them.

Important Note Solving this RP with brawn is impossible. You need to use your minds and either find one of the solutions in the thread or surprise me enough that I have to concede.

I would like to urge anyone and everyone to take part, if nothing else Travis is in serious trouble and I’m rather attached to him :P.

-Outside The Faded Star Hotel-

The walls around the building are high, their stonework capped with iron spikes. At times it’s hard to tell that they are stone though with all the Creeping Fig on them. Despite the presence of ample amounts of greenery the place has a dead feel, as though those encircling vines have choked the life from the stone.

Through the gates it is clear to the assembly that this building was a glorious sight once. Though they are chipped and cracked now the building’s walls still give a suggestion of clear flowing lines and while missing panes and covered in grime the windows are still impressively large. In its prime it would have been a light airy building, not this crabbed dark thing.

Krilla’s face, the one she projects the group at least, is blank. She stares at the building as if willing it to give up its secrets.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Amber looked up at the wall, shivering a little. "Why did we come here, again?" she asked Vince. Her hands fiddled with her cape.

Vince grabbed her hand gently. "Relax," he said.

Amber's hand sharply pulled away. "Relax yourself," George said.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Dani looked at Cam who shivered. "What?"

"A reading" he replied. "A potent one"

"What emotion?"

"It was passively received so i dont care to examine, it might let things in" he murmured, his lips barely moving as he stared at the hotel. Dani leaned her head back.

"It must have been beautiful in its day" she murmured, eyes glancing across the hotel. "It looks it - though theres something unnerving about it"

"Im not looking at auras while im near it..." Cam responded, his figure shaking briefly before he controlled himself. "Its got bad energy running off it..."
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Darkness1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

"...cause l o v e's just another word I never learned to pronounce." Alex sings surprisingly in tune, and with an upbeat feeling until he picks up a stray thought of cold, weirdly it even tasted as you would expect cold to taste which is to say it tasted blue. And blue tasted exactly like this or at least this shade of blue certainly would taste like this thought. His telepathy is shoddy at best and he has no clue of the direction it comes from so he looks for the nearest face he recognises.

The face is that of someone he's seen in school before but never spoken to, it was Vince though Alex had no clue if they were responsible for he blue tasting thought but he thought it best to investigate. It takes all his restraint not to suddenly throw up a glamour of becoming Sherlock Holmes.

"Umm you won't know me but we're in the same school, have you got any clue what's going on?"

-----

Thomas is not happy, really not happy. Murderous rage seems like a stroll in the park to the seething anger the kid's feeling. No one and he meant no one ever EVER stood up Thomas Mallory, be it a date, a day out or even worse an English assignment. Oh he was going to kill Travis.

Sighing in anger he dials a number into his phone, hoping that Dani would pick up. She more than likely knew where the offending Mage in question was.
Darkness is merely a cloak for my Pets.
Darkness1
Sophomore

Postby ShastaB24 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:30 pm

George took his gun out of the holster. He ran his hand along it, admiring it again. As he turned it to look at the other side, there was a faint BLOOP BLOOP as the water inside shifted. George frowned. He liked to think it was a real gun sometimes, though it could be just as deadly with his power.

"No, sorry. I was told to come here. Or rather, Amber was, but that's not important," Vince said. He extnded his hand. "I'm Vince." He shook his head. He forgot to take a pill today. This was going to be rough.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Krilla shakes her head and her form flickers, Cassandra Star vanishes and she suddenly appears as her real self.

“I guess we go in then? Father Pearson said this is the place.”

She approaches the gate and touches the padlock on its chain. Her tentacles stand straight out and she jumps back rubbing her hand. Humming she examines the palm of her hand, the lock’s brand and logo are clear on her skin as white marks.

“Don’t touch the metal, it’s cold enough to burn.”

A police car drives past, slowing down as though it plans to stop, she glances at it over her shoulder and it accelerates back to a normal speed and drives away.

“Let’s find another way in, we’re attracting attention.”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:39 am

Cam looked at the ivy and gave it a tug. "If we can find a window thats no boarded and some strong enough ivy or a drain pipe i can get up there"

Dani nodded. "I cant teleport anywhere i havent seen or been before but i can make a rope for us to climb up" she proposed. Cam nodded and began moving around the hotel exterior.

"Bad vibes" he grunted
The Hellion
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 pm

"I can fly over the gate," Vince said. He hit his palm against his ear. The voices were dinning in the background. "They, uh, probably have thought of that, though."

"Adrian won't come out," George said. "He could probably talk to a ghost and find a way in." He looked at his gun and then back up. "I don't suppose I could just blast a hole in the wall?"
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 pm

"Nobody is blasting holes in anything."

Krilla jumps as Dani’s phone goes off. The cheerful ring tone decidedly out of place. Shaking her head at her own jumpiness she glances up and down the wall.

“If we use that tree there and avoid the spikes on top if the wall we should be able to get in fine.”

Moments later she stands on top of the wall and jumps down, landing in a roll. The ground crunches beneath her as she does so and she glances down. They couldn’t see it from outside but the earth around the base of the wall is coated in a thick layer of frost.

Getting to her feet she brushes the ice of her hands and looks around. Off to her right she can see the door of the building, while to her left she can see the gardens, overgrown and full of weeds.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby The Hellion » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 am

Dani clicked her phone open as she and Cam landed on the ground behind the wall. "Ello?" she answered.

Cam shuddered. "Baaaad Vibes" he mumbled
The Hellion
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 pm

"Let's go, Creature Boy," George said. "Transform; I'll get on your back."

Vince glared at George while transforming into a gryffin. "You could ask."

"Nah," George replied, hopping atop Vince's back. "Giddyup!"

Vince growled. "If it wouldn't hurt Amber, I would so hit you."

"Like I'd let you."

Vince jumped and flapped his wings, taking himself over the wall. He landed on the other side and yelped. It was freezing! He transformed instinctually into a human again and felt even colder due to his bare feet, immediately transforming into a winged Siberian tiger, just so he could handle it.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:22 am

Krilla’s head perks up and she turns to look back around, seemingly staring through the wall.

“Cameron, follow my mind, I think I’ve found someone familiar.”

Cam rolls his eyes and follows the psychic projection of tentacles, then flinches.

“Ugh, great. Now I have to wash my brain.”

Krilla shakes her head. Silly humans.

We’re already inside, there’s a tree by the wall you can climb to get in. Hurry, we’ll let you catch up.

Dani taps her mobile and repeats.

“Ellllllooooooooo?”
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Darkness1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 am

"Hey Dani it's me, Thomas... I was wondering you don't know where Bas...I mean Travis is do you? He was meant to meet up with me as we had a date with an English assignment. And yet he does not show... I think you can understand my concern and wishes to inflict grievous bodily harm." Thomas replies, trying to not sound as annoyed and hurt as he was.

Alex watches the scene before him, and hmms. He looks around the corner and sees an alleyway that was dark, dank and damp. "I'll be a minute guys... I'm going to check what's down here and see if I can find anyone."

Alex begins to walk away and down the street ready to blast out with illusionary fire if need be.
Darkness is merely a cloak for my Pets.
Darkness1
Sophomore

Postby TailsofElements » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 pm

There was a grunt from the other side of the wall and Marco soared through the air over the gate and landed on the ground next to them. Kiran slowly appeared over the gate as he climbed up the tree. "Please don't randomly jump on my shoulders Marco," Kiran hissed as he gently let himself down from the tree, noticing the frost. "If you aren't careful you could easily slip and hurt yourself."

"Thanks, mom," Marco commented, "So what's the deal with all this ice?"
TailsofElements
Junior

Next

Return to RP Corner