Another day, another distraction

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Another day, another distraction

Postby Towkarn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 am

Not everybody is a morning person. Some people aren't even mid-morning people. Others aren't even noon people, they're more like afternoon or evening people. Then there are people who are so anti-morning that they only seem to be active at night. In Mitchell's case, he was a whatever-time-inspiration-hits kind of person.

It was 3a.m. and he was in one of the music rooms playing a guitar, singing and playing along to an instrumental track of I'm Yours by Jason Mraz.

"Well you done done me and y' bet I felt it,
I tried t' be chill but you're so hot that I melt-ed,
I fell right through the cracks,
And now I'm tryin' t' get back,
Before the cool done run out,
I'll be givin' it my bestest,
Nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention,
I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some,"

He tapped his foot, bopped his head and bounced the guitar back and forth in time with the uplifting lyrics.

"But I won't hesitate no more, no more,
It can not wait, I'm yours"

He paused for a moment, the instrumental track continuing to play on the small speakers attached to his MP3 player. Those golden eyes that sparkled with so much ingenius creativity were now lost in thought.

This doesn't seem right, he thought. I'm singing a love song to nobody. Shouldn't I have someone to serenade if I'm going to sing something like this?

Picking up the MP3 player he scrolled through the songs to find something else to sing to. Skipping past Someone Like You by Adele and Right Here In My Arms by H.I.M. the young artist frowned at his playlist. He paused at the sight of River Below by Billy Talent, moving on after a moment's thought on the themes of the song.

"Why can't I find something that fits this feeling?" he mumbled to thin air.

Touchdown Turnaround by Hellogoodbye didn't fit either, nor did Move Along by The All American Rejects. Magdalena by A Perfect Circle was just completely wrong for this mood he was in. Bad Day by Daniel Powter didn't quite fit, either.

My Fairweather Friend by Emilie Autumn. Perfect! He hit play and sat down with the guitar again, flexing his fingers and getting ready to play.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:43 am

Travis looks vaguely uncomfortable as he enters the halls of the music department. He hides that away as he walks along though. It's not enough to trigger his ice heart but enough to make him feel a little bitter.

Around his wrist glimmers a silver charm bracelet. It told him enough to guide him here it's not pinpoint accurate. The world of color and light fades from sight as he mumbles softly weaving a spell of vision. All of the rooms are dull bar one, which has a faint shimmer of heat.

There he is.

Making his way through the darkened halls Travis reflects on the person he's tracking down. A member of the Sunset foundation he's heard of but never met.

Flint speaks highly of him, odd but comforting. Maki seemed fairly indifferent though. Perhaps I should ask Sally? No she has enough on her plate.

Turning the corner he leans against the door and studies Sculptor for moment.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Towkarn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:54 am

His eyes closed as he began singing, Sculptor didn't notice the other boy standing in the doorway.

"It's a sunny day in heaven,
And no one is around,
To open the gates,
And I'm waiting for you,
My fairweather friend,
Absent in the end,
Absent in the end."

"The one thing I can count on,
Is nothing much at all,
The one thing that I'm sure about,
Is that you won't be anywhere around me when I fall,
I'd like to think I wouldn't die for you, but you know I would,
'Cause that's the fool I am,
And that's the rule you bend,
Absent in the end,
My fairweather friend."

He sighed between verses and opened his eyes again, a somber smile playing across his lips. This was the song he needed right now. A bittersweet song, it was. His eyes came up to notice the form in the doorway. He hit the pause on his MP3 player and looked back to whoever was at the door; it was hard to see with only the one light on next to him.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't know anyone was here... I... uh..." and then he seemed to just run out of words. He wasn't sure why he was apologising, or why he suddenly felt like he'd been caught doing something he shouldn't be.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:31 am

Still rolls his wrist and casually lobs a ball of blue fire towards the ceiling. It floats there flickering and lights the room. The flames steal heat rather give and looking at them there's something not quite right about them.

"The school does have a curfew you know."

There's a thump as Travis throws a manilla folder onto the table in front of Mitchell.

"My name is Travis, or Still I suppose. Flint mentioned you were transferring here."

He's studying Mitchell, weighing him up, look for clues to strengths and weaknesses.

"The folder has the basics of the local situation, might come in useful."
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Towkarn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:03 am

Mitch was too distracted by the blue fire to even register the comment about the curfew. The thump of the manila folder shocked him enough to drag his attention away from the eerie flame.

"Uh, Mitch. Mitchell. Or Sculptor." He replied sheepishly to Still's introduction.

"Local situation? What's that s'posed to mean?" He raised an eyebrow at the other boy, picking up the manila folder and flicking it open.

He was shifting his weight in the seat as if uncomfortable. His shoulders were currently drawn in, making his clothes look even baggier on him than normal. His black hair shone in the light from the fire above and the lamp beside him. His feet shuffled and shifted beneath him, the way one might expect from a student who was sitting an exam.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 am

"The local mystical situation."

Travis snags a chair with his foot and pulls it out to sit down.

"Who's who amongst the local Magi. Which covens are allied and which are at odds. Where the sites of power are and what, if anything, sleeps beneath them."

Travis leans his chin on his hand and continues freaking Mitch out with his dissection stare. He's blank to read right now, nothing shows behind his eyes.

"Flint seems fond of you. Which is interesting in it's own right but he didn't mention if you're an active member or a social one."
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Towkarn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:54 am

"Oh. Okay," was his response to Still's explanation. He kept glancing between Travis and the contents of the folder, flicking them over but not really taking anything in.

"I don't think follow..." He said, raising his eyebrows as they knit together in confusion. "What's the difference between being active and social?"
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:17 am

"The Sunset Foundation is social at it's heart but all of our members have at least some drive to better the world. Be it through Super Heroics, combating mystical threats or just research."

Travis drums his fingers against the counter. He can't hear the rhythm but he likes the feel.

"Our active members are those that go out and fight. That track down the loose demon and slay it. That negotiate with the Dryads on what's fair in a public park."

The flames are taking the heat from the room and it's starting to get a little chilly.

"What I want to know is what you plan to do with yourself in Pacific City."
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Towkarn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:22 am

Mitchell looked like he almost didn't believe Still about the Demons, but apparently the mention of Dryads got no disbelieving reaction.

"Um... I dunno, I hadn't thought about it." He frowned at the floor in thought for a moment. "I suppose I could... I dunno, help out with... protecting stuff, I guess? I could make some, like, gargoyles or something and get them to protect certain places. I'd just need t', y'know, visit 'em once in a while to make sure they're still awake." He shrugged, not sure in the slightest if this would be at all helpful.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:05 am

Travis tilts his head slightly.

Interesting...

"You...haven't though about it?"

The finger drumming stops as the stare becomes more pronounced.

"Why are you here Mitchell Deregan of Perth? Are you just here to learn control of your powers? There are students like that. Or are you here to be a hero? Since coming here I have been beaten, attacked and kidnapped. I have broken limbs and had good friends die. You meet Chris, I saw you at her funeral. She died trying to save lives. Do you understand what this school means? What we're here to learn?"
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Towkarn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:14 am

Mitchell looked baffled at this suddenly demanding kid, moving back and standing. This kid was starting to sound like he wanted to start a fight, and while Mitchell certainly wasn't a fighter he knew the best way to stop a punch was to not be in its way.

"What the hell, dude? I just make sculptures an' shit. I'm here 'cause the teachers aren't gonna freak if my art projects suddenly come t' life. What the hell's your problem?" The way this kid was acting, all high and mighty yet frigid at the same time, was rubbing Mitchell the wrong way.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:26 am

Travis sighs and pushes his chair back flames dive from the ceiling and get absorbed into his palm.

"It's funny. So few people read the shield at the front gates. It doesn't say anything about powers or abilities or anything like that. It simply says Poseidon Preparatory Academy....for Heroic Youth."

He walks out the door of the dark room.

"I sincerely hope you get what you need here Sculptor and I hope the price isn't too steep."

He makes his way through the halls leaving a wake of cold behind him. It's hard to tell what he should be feeling. Anger? Disappointment? Sadness? He exits the building and deftly leaves the school. In the darkened city he does what he's always done, he picks up his sword and fights the good fight.
candyman1989
Junior

Return to RP Corner