Exercise for the mind and body.

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Exercise for the mind and body.

Postby Towkarn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 am

Note: This is a "getting to know you" thread for anyone who wants to join in. If you'd like some established relationship of some sort (friend/family/rival/ex-lover) then PM me and we'll sort something out. Otherwise, just say hi!

There was nothing better than this. The wind whipped his hair about and dragged on his clothes as the steed charged across the field. Legs gripping tightly to the living statue's sides he let go of the mane and stood with his arms in the air.

Now this was life. This, that could end at any second. This, that made his heart beat out of control and his mind scream with panic. This, that made his body freeze in fear just to enjoy the sensation of the moment.

This blood-rushing, gut-wrenching, mind-boggling moment of LIFE - and stupidity.

His legs buckled and it was all he could do to grab onto the mane again and pull himself close to the body of his mount. Sensing his panic, the steed slowed to a trot and eventually stopped, letting him slide off and fall to the ground. On hands and knees he panted and swallowed, gulping in air and marvelling at how incredible that moment had been.

He could still feel his blood throbbing through every vein and artery. His heartbeat felt strong enough to shatter his ribs. His mind was reeling with vertigo and ecstasy.

He slowly brought himself to his feet and turned back to his living-statue steed. It wasn't a horse, exactly. It had horns; not like a unicorn, more like a triceratops. It also had legs that resembled a big cat's more than a horse's, even ending in large paws. It was jet black, with eyes that were a deep and bloody red.

Stroking its mane, he pondered if perhaps this inspiration of his had been a bit too... freakish.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Jo stepped up to the 3-horned horse.... "this..." She trailed off.

It was rare for her to incite any conversation that wasn't forced on her. she normally kept her words to herself and tagged along when she knew she was needed. but something about this sculpture spoke to her. The lashing mane, the unnatural horns, the strength of it's muscles, but still what appeared to be a fragile soul within.

She looked at him staring directly into his soul. "I..."She trailed off again. It was weird she only really knew how to answer questions or shout orders. but She had never really known how to express her feelings.

She wasn't really a student at the school. she was friends with Raine and Ocean, The music instructor's kids, but they were all in an independent studies program. She hung around the campus because Dr. Alexander welcomed the three of them in at any time to train their powers, and because it was better than staying hime and doing nothing.

"I like this.." She finally said, quickly casting her gaze downward. Her normally mean and tough demeanor was breaking.
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 pm

He looked to the hesitant girl, his smile quieted but still present. He was still breathing a little heavily and his clothes were soaked with sweat from the exhilirating ride.

"Thanks. Do you... wanna take a ride?" His question was broken by a need to breath, but it sounded more like a pause to emphasise innuendo. "He's real friendly!"
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Jo drove an SUV but had always wanted a motorcycle. The wind whipping past as she breezed through the open road. She looked up and nodded.

She had never ridden a horse but she hoped it would be similar.

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 pm

"Here, I'll help you up," he offered, bending down a little and linking his fingers so the girl could put her foot in his hands and push herself up onto the strange steed.

There was no saddle, but rather the creature's spine was curved in a way to make its back more like a seat than sitting on vertebrae. The mane was made of thick tendrils of hair rather than falling loose, making it easy to hold onto.

Once Jo was up on the living statue and Mitchell had shown her where to hold, he sat undr a nearby tree.

"Ready? I'm gonna direct him from here. If you wanna go faster or slower or anything, just say it in his ear and I'll hear you." His eyes began glowing golden, and so did the sculpture's. To anyone sensitive to demonic energies, his powers would have rung alarm bells, but those not attuned to such things wouldn't feel so much as a bad vibe from him.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 am

Jo saw the energy link between him and the horse for a second before the horse went galloping off.

She gripped tightly to it's mane. It felt amazing. The wind. The Speed. The freedom.

She leaned to the right and it curved in a wide arc in that direction and tromped back.

She passed him of nd started galloping off in the other direction. This was so much fun.

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:28 am

The chimerical steed picked up speed, heading straight for a fence that must've been at least five feet high. The steed didn't slow at all, heading for the other side of the fence without the benefit of a gate.

It looked too close to the fence to go over, just before the creature compacted its legs and sprang over the fence like a cat!

Mitchell watched through the steed's eyes and felt through its body the rush of the motion, the contact with the girl, the whipping air and the pounding earth.

On the other side of the fence, prowling in a circle like a lion, the steed turned back to the fence and compacted its legs yet again. This time it sprang up to the top off the fence rather than over it. Teetering for a moment, the creature quickly turned down the length of the fence and began stalking along the top of the - thankfully rather sturdy - wooden fence.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:51 am

Jo teetered for a second, but regained her balance, putting her trust int he steed.

After a moment or two she steered it off the fence. It bounded off and she slowly trotted back to the boy.

"So this is what you do?" She rose an eyebrow. She looked into his soul and saw his connection with his powers. "Your powers give off a reddish-purple glow when I see them inside you.... are they unholy powers?"

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 pm

His eyes lost their glow as the steed came to a halt. The steed didn't go completely still, though; it acted like any normal horse standing in a field. Sculptor gave a half-smile and a small nod at her first question, but her second confused him.

"Um... no?" He'd never bothered to try and find out what the source or cause of his powers, but he'd never considered the possibility that there might be something bad about them. "I bring things to life... how could that be unholy?" He frowned in thought.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:31 pm

"Unholy isn't a bad thing..." She took a breath, "In the end it only matters what is done with the powers, not their source."

"I don't physically see the world like everyone else does. She looked down. "I can see the flow of energy in everything, mutant powers, brain activity, magical forces, even electric currents."

She took a step towards him, "And if I so choose.... I can cut them off... try looking at your phone." She looked down at his pocket and stopped the electric flow from the battery.

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Mitchell raised an eyebrow and took his phone out of his jacket pocket, trying to bring it out of sleep mode. It was off.

"Huh. You can do that to anything that works on a flow of energy? That's pretty cool!" He grinned at Jo, apparently having completely discarded any thoughts about his powers being in any way unholy. He was trying to, at least.

Deep down, hidden from Mitchell's conscious mind, a darkness roiled and twisted. This revelation fed the darkness, adding another pain to the pile.

"I'm Mitch, by the way. I go by Sculptor for the codename stuff, 'cause of the statues an' all." He stood and put the phone back in his pocket and brushed the grass and dirt from his backside.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Jo nodded. "I'm Jo. I don't really go to this school, but Dr. Alexander said I could hang around all I like as long as I don't cause trouble... I'm on an independent studies program."

"I kinda like being able to turn off other people's powers.... i find it evens the playing field for me." She adjusted the fingerless motorcycle gloves on her hands.

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:37 pm

"Heh, that'd be useful on some o' the idiots at this school." He said, a tad wistfully, as if he were wishing he could turn off certain peoples' powers.

"So what's your independent studies thing about? You in training under a particular hero, or somethin'?" His head tilted to the side, like a curious dog. The steed got bored of grazing and came closer to its creator, carefully turning its head to avoid sticking him with its horns as it nudged at him. His hand come up to pat it almost absently as their conversation went on.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby MentalFloss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Nope. Just school. I train myself and I gotta say, I work pretty well against any de-powered jerks since i'm a tiny bit stronger than most people expect.

Her phone beeped. She pulled it from her back pocket and checked the text message. "Ok, geez I gotta run. I'll see you around when you get out of school."

She turned and started to walk to the parking lot... but turned around and came back. "I almost forgot..." She looked at his phone and freed up the power flow from the battery.

"You should be able to turn it back on now, bye."

MentalFloss
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 pm

"Yeah, see ya 'round," he said with a somewhat disconnected smile.

When she let the phone turn back on, he laughed. "Hahaha! I'd forgotten about it, too! That was lucky, my dads woulda thought I'd been in an accident if they couldn't call me after classes finished."

He lifted a hand to wave goodbye.
Towkarn
Freshman

Return to RP Corner