Acceptance

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Acceptance

Postby Animal boy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 pm

The word is simple yet powerful. But is constantly elusive. Some find it easily, others strive for it all their lives and yet never obtain it. Often there is an obstacle in the way of it, such as race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, social status, looks, weight or alternative family situation. One is difficult to deal with but not so bad, two is an uphill battle. But what if you have three?

Joel Tang aka. Limbless from the Five Fold Path was Chinese American, gay, and had been born without arms or legs. He had grown up with his mother his only friend. Ever since coming to Poseidon he had made a bunch of friends which made him happy. During the first few months of the year he had had a boyfriend but they had an amicable break up which saddened him but it was not at all like his first relationship. Still no use thinking of that he needed to practice. They lost their last battle and they couldn't afford to their next bout. Joel pulled up and down up and down.
"Why should Northstar have all the fun?"-Hulkling
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Suspended upside down in mid-air, the only things supporting him being the two rings attached to the roof my ropes and his own strength and balance, Mitch held himself in perfect position. His mind was clear of everything but the balance of the rings in his hands. There was a net beneath him, and Verdant could probably fix him right up even if something went wrong and he broke his neck, but there was still a strange sense of inevitability here; as if death was waiting on the bleachers sharpening his scythe.

He finally let himself drop, swinging his legs forward to continue his momentum as he let go of the rings. He tumbled, tumbled, tumbled through the air and fell into the net, his breath escaping him as the safety net enveloped him and spat him back out. Rolling out of the net, into the blocks of foam underneath, the artist pulled himself free of the restraining fluffiness and looked about for something else to work on.

The bars were mostly free. Limbless, one of the rather more famous martial artists of the school, was doing chin ups on them but Mitch was sure he wouldn't mind company. By all accounts he was a nice kid, when he wasn't thrashing you in an ISC match. Strolling over, Mitch grabbed the bottom hem of his shirt and used to it wipe some sweat from his face, showing what most people never expected on him due to the baggy clothes and apparent disregard for proper eating habits; a well-defined set of abdominal muscles.

He dropped the shirt and shook his hair out of his face, attempting a smile and only half succeeding as he waved hello to Limbless. He suddenly thought that might have been a bit crass, since Limbless was... well, not exactly limbless but... well, he wasn't sure, but it just seemed awkward to wave to a guy with no visible arms. He put his arms behind his back, to prevent himself from making a similar mistake, which had the added effect of straightening his posture and broadening his shoulders.

"Hey, uh, mind if I... use the bars?" He wasn't sure if Limbless was someone who preferred to work out alone, and the hesitance was obvious in his voice.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:08 am

Joel looked down to see a cute shirtless guy looking up at him and did the most classy thing possible: he lost his grip and fell flat on his face.

Great, he thought, am I going to be a total klutz every time I see a shirtless guy seemingly unattached?

He got up silently cursing himself he got up and went to introduce himself "Howdy ah'm..." ugh! did his Texan accent had to kick in now "I... I mean hi I'm Joel"
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:15 am

He gave a sympathy flinch as Limbless fell off the bar. He was about to help him up, but realised he didn't know where Joel's hands or arms were. He watched the younger boy spring back to his ethereal feet and suppressed a giggle at the strangeness of the sight.

"Mitch," he replied. "So's this bar free?" He asked, aussie accent thick with his nervousness.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:19 am

"Yeah, by the way, what's your powers? I ain... I've never seen you around before" Joel said, oh no was he feeling a little heated? Whenever he blushed there was an embarrassing side effect he discovered when he met his his first romance here in Poseidon.
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 am

"Asking that on the first date?" He asked with eyebrows raised, referring to Limbless inquiring about his powers. He hadn't meant it the way it sounded, it was just a phrase his Pop used. His grabbed the bar with both hands and hoisted himself up with what looked like very little effort. His torso bent over the bar and his legs held at a right angle to his upper body, he held for a moment before dropping back down and launching himself off the bar with an upward swing to catch himself on the next bar up with his hands.

Swinging his legs up and over a taller bar, Mitch let his upper torso drop and just hung by his legs, his work-out singlet once again falling to display those chiselled muscles, so that he could look at Limbless. He didn't know the effect he was having on the younger boy, he just assumed the kid was as socially inept as he was.

"Are you from the southern states? Or was that a joke accent?" He asked as he moved one leg to hook just his foot over the bar. A short drop and a sudden stop and he was now holding the bar between his feet and looking as if he was standing upside down.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:50 am

Joel went bright red which spread to his phantom limbs and when he realized the young man had caught his accent he went even redder "yeah, I'm from Texas, but the accent's a joke" he said quickly.

"Anyways you still haven't answered my question" he stare intensely at Mitch
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 am

"Fair 'nuff," Mitch said. "I can animate things. Like, make statues come alive an' stuff," he shrugged, which looked strange from someone who's upside down. He liked his powers, they just weren't a big deal in his mind. Not like Kid Olympus, or Krilla, or Noah, or any of those other kids with amazing powers.

"My alias is Sculptor." He felt a little awkward talking about his powers and stuff, actually. "So... what's it like bein' on a squad for the ISC?" He changed the topic to try and make them both a little more comfortable.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:19 am

"That is so cool!" he thought that this guy's powers were incredible, his weren't much, but after spending twelve years in a mechanical prison he thought they were the most wonderful thing in the world.

"It awesome! I mean it can get strenuous because Aki works us really hard but we need it. I mean it's so great to well be part of a team" he said
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 am

Mitch reached up and grabbed the bar he was hanging from, dropping his feet and doing a chin up before pushing himself up onto the bar, straddling it so he could while they talked.

"That's cool. So you guys run sims an' stuff together?" He leaned forward and grabbed a lower bar, swinging himself down to the ground again and dusting off his hands.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:25 am

"Yeah we do. To train and stuff" Joel said.

"You were kidding about the first date thing right?" Joel had gone scarlet again.
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:52 am

"Date thing?" Mitch tilted his head to the side, looking confused. "Oh! I must've... sorry, it's something my Pop says. Daddy warned me not to say it too often, 'cause it makes people uncomfortable, but I just ramble off whatever pops into my head sometimes-" he stopped himself and took a breath, now blushing himself as embarrassment took over his face.

"Ahem. Sorry. Word-vomit." He reached up a hand and scratched his head, hardly able to believe that he'd just quote his Pop and, even worse, referred to his Daddy as "Daddy" in front of another teenager.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:57 am

"You know.. I really do like you and we could like maybe hang out this afternoon?" Joel asked nervously
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:11 am

"Woah, boy!" He said as if reigning in a horse, holding his hands up in front of him in a defensive gesture. "Where'd that come from? We only just met..."

Mitch hadn't noticed it, but he'd subconsciously taken a step back, putting just a little more distance between himself and Joel. It wasn't because he didn't like the boy; he'd barely had time to form an opinion on him. He just didn't feel comfortable with people being so emotionally forward when he'd only just met them.

His shoulders were drawn in now, his head tilted down to let his hair fall across his eyes, shielding himself from unwanted outbursts. Looking at him without empathy you might think he was trying to block a punch, but people who could read either emotions or body language could pick at a distance that this guy was actually scared.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby Animal boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:14 am

"I meant just as friends or you know prospective friends!" Joel said quickly, yes, he was attracted to this boy but it wasn't like he was ready to jump into the dating game again.
Animal boy
Senior

Next

Return to RP Corner