Sword and Sorcery

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Sword and Sorcery

Postby The Hellion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:46 pm

The Penelope Pier Market was in full swing, it was arranged along the more designer end of the port, a long reaching pier covered in white and pearl grey and soft pink tiles ending in a large compass point, along one side there was clothing, along the other food and down the middle a variety of paraphanelia, from video games to wooden toys handcarved by the vendors.

The sun was high in the sky this weekend and clouds were few and far between. A warm breeze blew in from the bay and the pier was bustling amidst the unique but mundane stalls.

A jazz band from the local college played away near a café by the pier entrance and filled the day with music and cheer. A cheerful looking girl handed out balloons and three or four statue-actors lined the promenande at random intervals.

OOC: Some RP then some mystical action and reflection on love and friendship :P More about character and relationship development than the combat in some ways but also about the showing off the brain power :D
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Safeguard » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:55 pm

A rather large portal opened up and two boys walked out of it before it dispersed and Sean immediately walked to the balloon girl and paid for his and Nate's, the Elemental smirked with amusement and grabbed the green...natch.

"Che mama y papa, lresri mazik Pier. Sujean y vik ma balloons." Nate said talking to his mother on his cell in his native language. He blushed slightly when he saw the look on Sean's and the girl's faces. "I have to go mother, I'm getting wierd looks from everyone. Bye." He chuckled and hung up.

[ooc: Nate was saying: "Hello mom and dad, we're at the pier, Sean's buying balloons." ^^"]
Safeguard
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Most people would be wearing shorts, short sleeve shirts and the like on a day like this. Most Americans thought this was a warm to hot day. Most would be eating icecream or a popsicle to cool off just a little, or just to enjoy their treat in appropriate weather. Mitch wasn't most people. Mitch felt the warmth, but it was a cool day to him. He wore a black long-sleeve shirt that was a little too big for him, baggy black pants and had a bag slung over one shoulder.

He approached a stall vendor who was selling handcrafted wooden toys. He put the bag down and took out a wooden monkey, handing it to the vendor and explaining that he wanted to return it.

"I'm sorry, kid, but that's not anythin' of mine. I never made a monkey in a pose like that." The vendor said, gesturing at the monkey that looked like it was screaming and about to throw something. Mitch looked at it, realising that the vendor was right; this wasn't the pose it was in when he bought it.

"But this is the one I bought from you." Mitch explained, turning the monkey upside down to show the signature that had been burnt into the monkey's wooden foot. "See? That's your signature. This is obviously your work."

"I'm tellin' ya, kid, I don't make monkeys that look like that. It'd scare kids, and that's not good fer my business. I dunno how you copied my signature, but that's not my monkey." The vendor crossed his arms defiantly. Mitch looked at the wooden monkey with a hint of a glare.

"Alright, I'll put it back how it was." He said, his eyes glowing with golden light. The monkey shivered and dropped its arm, looking around in confusion at what was, to the monkey, a very sudden change of location and activities. The vendor jumped in surprise, staring open-mouthed at the monkey.

"Get back in the pose you were in when I bought you." Mitch told the monkey. The monkey put its thumbs to its ears, fingers splayed out, and stuck its tongue out at Mitch.

"How's... how's it doing that?!" The vendor asked. He reached out and poked the monkey. The monkey, looking around and immediately recognising the man whose signature it bore, jumped on the man's face and clung to him affectionately. The vendor's reaction was less than graceful. As he stood and pried the monkey off his face, the vendor looked at Mitch with more confusion written all over his face.

"How did you do that?" He asked. Mitch just shrugged and tool the hand-written receipt out of the bag. He held it out to the man.

"Hang on, hang on, I still don't believe this is mine." The vendor said. Mitch was getting frustrated. His eyes glowed again and the monkey suddenly started to move rigidly. It jumped down to the table, took up the pose it originally had, then just froze. Mitch's eyes stopped glowing. The vendor stared at the monkey. Now that it was back in the right pose, it was definitely his product. The refund was given and Mitch picked up his bag, turning to leave and stopping immediately as he noticed the small crowd of people watching and whispering.

This... is bad, he thought to himself. Quietly moving to try and push through the people. They moved away from him, some with wonder in their eyes and others with fear or suspicion. "Excuse me, excuse me, please," he said again and again as he tried to get past the people, keeping his head down and his eyes on the ground.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:54 pm

A young man in his early to mid 20s picked up the monkey and eyed it. "Strange" he mused. "I'll take it" the vendor nodded slowly. "Good man" he handed him the cash and put the monkey in the bag with the rest of his purchases.

Troy sighed as he strolled along the promenade, he'd had a date with a girl his mother knew and yet again it had gone badly...she'd been so enamoured she hadn't talked to him properly, it had sucked horrifically and he was starting to feel like the world hated him again.

He'd planned to meet Cam and Dani on the beach but...well he wanted a little while to himself.

OOC: This game is good for mystics with defined crafts and also may involve time-travel, meddling with the past and possibly conversations with gods we don't see that often in comics ;) action will start when we hit page 2.
The Hellion
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Travis flicks through the contents of the secondhand books stall. The smell of old paper combined with the fresh sea breeze is pleasant and soothing.

He's not looking for anything in particular, he's got a meeting with a sea sprite later in the afternoon but for now he's just killing time.

He runs his fingers down a leather bound spine.

Ooooo the Tempest.

Swift is sitting in the cafe, he's got his mask on but other then that he's out of uniform. He attracts the occasional stare but not as many as you'd expect.

He's finishing his coffee and looking glumly at the untouched one on the table across from him. He's just been dumped, again.

He can't really complain, her complaints were valid. It's still not a great feeling.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Safeguard » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 am

With Sean by his side and a balloon in his hand, Nate and the sorcerer bought a couple hot dogs and walked down the street near the Pier.

"Hmmm dynamite." Nate said and licked his lips. "We have nothing like this at home."

"Good thing, hot dogs are unhealthy." Sean said and smirked. "But still good."

Nate saw Swift and walked over to him, taking another bite from his hot dog and waving.

"Hey Swift, what's up?" Nate asked. Sean walked through the store and ordered some bottles of water for himself and Nate. The Elemental looked at the second cup on the table and blushed. "Oh... she set you up huh? Sorry." He blushed.
Safeguard
Senior

Postby The Hellion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:17 am

Dani looked at Cam, then at swift and sighed. "Sorry I'm late Swift" she called as she hurried towards him, her black tracksuit already shifted to a "nice top and jeans" combo. "My roommate was living in the shower, sorry."

She smiled at Nate and...the other guy whose name she was terrible at remembering because it was the same as one of her ex's... Shane... Steven.... SEAN! "Hello boys, enjoying the day?"

Cam rolled his eyes and wandered on.

Troy sighed as he saw a couple walk past him and flopped down on a bench with his ice pop. This was depressing, he looked out on the sea and....was that Mist?

he shook his head. Probably just a trick of the light and a cloud.

Cam walked into the Market. He was looking for Troy to see how his date went. Dani was being charitable to Swift, dancing a very dangerous dance he had to say but Dani didn't appologise for who she was.

The man picked up a copy of Romeo and Juliet. "What a load of tripe" he scoffed and tossed it back. "Do you have anything by Poe? He had the right idea" he glanced at Travis then back at the mass of books before him, his ice cold blue eyes made the vendor fumble a little with a book.
The Hellion
Senior

Postby candyman1989 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:36 am

Do I know these guys? Certainly not well enough for that!

His poker face is good. The pair turn to look at Dani as she approaches so miss the flicker of surprise then gratitude in his eyes. He gets up and pulls her chair out for her, using the motion to hide the whispered thank you.

"Don't stress. It's a nice day to sit and enjoy the sea breeze."

He smiles at Dani and nods at the coffee.

"I think I got the order right."

Oh god. It's that strawberry mocha monstrosity thing that Emila likes.

He looks at Nate.

"Sorry. Missed that."

Travis pays the man no mind but picks up the copy of Romeo and Juliet and adds it to the Tempest.

I should send this to Star for her birthday.

"If I profane with my un-worthiest hand,
This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss."

He seems to be talking to himself.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Safeguard » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:10 pm

"Just wanted to know how you were doing." Nate smiled and Sean handed Nate his water and the sorcerer took another bite out of his hot dog.

Sean waved at the girl, he had a rather mysterious look in his eyes but he smiled anyway.
Safeguard
Senior

Postby The Hellion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:10 pm

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss."

The man responded almost robotically. "Ugh..." he grunted. "I'll take Macbeth please, the tongue of a blaspheming Jew line always intrigues me a bit" he handed over the cash for the old edition. "also a horribly impractical reagent for divination without a Kabalistic binder"

He turned and headed away into the crowd.

The Mist was swirling thicker and thicker but in a perfect line and in its grasp a vague figure could be seen.

Dani shrugged. "Sorry boys we're having a catch up is all, sorry again for being late Swift" she picked up the monstrosity...oh God it was so pink....so....very....pink.........

"Mmmm...delish" so much cream...ugh.

There was a thunderclap overhead in the clear sky, an aeroplane was flying across the space overhead but otherwise everything was fine.
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Darkness1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:17 pm

There's a gust of wind and a voice from nowhere, the cold voice of the dead and cold.

"Yet our power shall do a curt'sy to our wrath, which men may blame but not control. Lear, act three scene five."

Chris materialises and checks her nails, habits were hard to break and when she'd heard about a farmer's market she just had to come and pick out a selection of stuff that she would cook up later. Travis had the horrible habit of not eating enough veg and eschewed most food products for dairy.

She was wistful and missed her home a bit but she was here given the recent spike in mystical activity in the US, as the Sunset Archivist she had an advanced knowledge of mystical beings, accords and folklore. Also given her free time in undeath she was getting pretty decent at solitaire.

Oog: my word I'm rp-ing something for once and not using Thomas? Shock horror. Also my fics will be up hopefully after Friday as I'm currently having to study for an exam, draw up locust dissections and write an essay on the insect orders.
Darkness is merely a cloak for my Pets.
Darkness1
Sophomore

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Mitch wasn't watching where he was going. He was too busy thinking about the monkey and what had gone wrong. He'd used other peoples' sculptures and things before, and while they did often share some personality traits with their creator they still obeyed him. Maybe it was because that man had inscribed his signature directly into it. He'd been warned about the power of words and true names and stuff like that by Flint, but he didn't think it would have affected his control of a sculpture like that.

Lost in his own thoughts and moving faster than the rest of the crowd, Mitch didn't see that someone hadn't moved out of his way like everyone else. Consequently, he only noticed Troy when he tripped over the boy.

"Gah!" He called out, twisting his body around instincitvely as he fell and landing on his side instead of his face. Quickly realising his error, he scrambled to his feet and offered Troy a hand.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going and-" he finally saw who it was he'd tripped over. "Oh. Uh. Hi....?" He stammered and faltered, suddenly horribly embarrassed as his voice felt like it had just died in his throat. He hadn't spoken to Troy before but he knew full well that Troy went to Poseidon Prep. He'd often seen the boy in the halls and been caught staring by someone or other. One of the cheerleaders had snarkily suggested that he should ask Troy to pose for a sculpture or painting; then the gaggle of girls had started giggling excitedly about Troy posing nude.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Troy blinked a few times, ice pop in his mouth. He popped it out with a slurp and moved to help Mitch up. "Oh sorry, here let me help, hi...mitchell isn't it? Or is it just Mitch? I'm Troy"

Troy barely knew the boy but he'd heard about him, a sculptor, a nice guy by all accounts.

He smiled at Mitch and offered him his hand

Another thunderclap overhead and the shape changed direction in the skies
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:00 pm

"I, uh, Mitch, yeah, or Sculptor, or, um, yeah, Mitch," he babbled nervously, clearing his throat to try and stop the jittery words spilling out. He was blushing a deep red, running right across his nose to go from cheek to cheek.

"I'm really sorry about that," he apologised again, even as he started to notice the throbbing ache in his ankle. He shifted his weight, not wanting to let on to Troy that he'd managed such a spectacular failure as to injure himself tripping over someone. "I was just... lost in thought... sorry." He dropped his eyes to the ground, trying to avoid looking at Troy too much now that the beautiful young man was right in front of him.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Troy smiled. "Hi, well it's okay it happens, I can be really clumsy too. No harm, I'm pretty hard to hurt anyway" he chuckled. He returned to his ice pop thoughtfully. "Anyway don't worry about it too much" he said quietly. "The market is really nice, almost everything here is homemade somehow - this icepop, the t-shirts over there...I like it"

He smiled at Mitch.

Cam looked at the collection of old records and plucked a Beatles record from the pile to examine it. The vendor have him a glare. He responded in kind.
The Hellion
Senior

Next

Return to RP Corner