Official Discussion Thread, Kid Olympus 1

Issue-specific discussion threads and reviews of Pride High. There are spoilers here, so read at your own risk!

Moderator: Perihelion

Official Discussion Thread, Kid Olympus 1

Postby Verdant » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:20 pm

The pdf version of Kid Olympus #1 is now available! To purchase the first spin-off mini-comic of Pride High, head over to http://pridecomics.com/checkout-online.html!

Image!

Robert & Powerlad did an amazing job! You'll see the work of this artistic duo again with Issue 7 of Pride High :).
Last edited by Verdant on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Chameleongirl » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:58 am

Love it! :D

Robert's art is just perfect, and I love the colouring. Bright but not garish :)
And right when you get to a good bit, the story finishes! :lol:

Will aspects of KO's quests be explored in the main comic? Or are you planning more mini-stories for him?
The Wolf House: Bloody *awesome* queer!punk!vampire e-book. Buy it NOW!

Chameleon may change her spots, but she refuses to do plaid.

I make super-hero finger puppets out of felt. Go Team Dork! :D

Bios: Chamelon & PowerUp
Chameleongirl
Sophomore

Postby Verdant » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:36 pm

It depends on reader interest and my budget after the trade paperback comes out. In a perfect world with all the resources available I would have Pride High, Kid Olympus, Sun & Moon (Suravi/Silvermoon comic), and Mischief Makers (Mischief and Kid Mischief), all going at the same time. One day, maybe ;). For now all these sidestories will have a mini-comic or two separately, and then will be absorbed into the main narrative of Pride High.
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby JT » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:26 pm

I don't understand ...

The comic is beautifully illustrated, and the story fascinating, but ...

It doesn't seem to have a beginning, and it doesn't seem to have an end. How did Dionysus get to Olympus, and why? And what happened after the last scene? I don't feel any the wiser about what happened to KO on his summer vacation.

Are there any plans to extend it to a full 36/40 pages?

It seems like it should have been called Kid Olympus 1/2.

(I'm also vaguely confused about the missing pages. Issues 1 and 3 in PDF form are 39 pages, and number 4 is 51. KO # 1 is 11 pages. Not divisible by 4. But that's a side issue.)

Still appreciatively, Best, JT
"If I don't do the things that aren't worth doing, who will?" Ashleigh Brilliant
JT
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:01 pm

With just 8 pages to cover the tension with his heritage, his friendship with Jorge, and the first deity to choose him as champion, dropping readers right into the middle of the story was necessary. How he got there isn't as important as what happened once he did.

For the page count, the 11 consist of the Cover, Inside Front, 8 Interior pages, and Inside Back. The Back Cover is given to Ka-Blam as they offer a substantial discount to printing. All the comics are interior pages + 3 as a result. The Ka-Blam girl is fine, but it's too bad that don't have a Ka-Blam GUY ;)!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:03 am

i loved it, the colours were vibrant and made each panel clear and clean, really easy to look at. The illustration of the Chinese Gods was especially eye catching, I mean, you could use that as a cover alone even.

Robert Riviera's art was amazing and with Powerlad's colours they really were this cool crisp and clear set of images. I really loved seeing them together (corr, what a buzz!)

The story itself was admittedly a little confusing but for 8 pages it gave us a lot to think about. It revealed Dion and Jorge used to be friends until Jorge came out, this does several things a) adds to their rivalry by revealing former friendship as the basis of the terms they met on b) shows us that Dion was very homophobic and is definitely growing more tolerant c) feeds a slash fan - and I mean - like - straight into into the vein people!

I think its quite clear that the Gods summoned Dion to Olympus when he arrived in Greece, perhaps visiting his paternal family? However the powers he gained are still a mystery (Where was Hephaestus or was that Zeus' gift?) and did all the Gods deny him even after his other tasks? There are lots of questions to be asked and we can probably rely on the main book to cover them, if not than another mini comic and if not then Tommy might tell us (?) But either way its a lot to mull over...

I thoroughly enjoyed it, picked me up for sure
The Hellion
Senior

Postby JT » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:14 am

The Hellion wrote:i loved it, the colours were vibrant and made each panel clear and clean, really easy to look at. The illustration of the Chinese Gods was especially eye catching, I mean, you could use that as a cover alone even.

Cover? Fie on cover! I've printed it out (8 1/2 x 11) and taped it to the cabinet door of my computer desk. I look up; there it is. I've also printed that identity list Tommy gave us.

The story itself was admittedly a little confusing but for 8 pages it gave us a lot to think about. It revealed Dion and Jorge used to be friends until Jorge came out, this does several things a) adds to their rivalry by revealing former friendship as the basis of the terms they met on b) shows us that Dion was very homophobic and is definitely growing more tolerant c) feeds a slash fan - and I mean - like - straight into into the vein people!

Maybe the story is supposed to inspire us as per the Baker Street Irregulars, who explain what Sherlock Holmes did before becoming a consulting detective. Let's see -- Dion goes to Greece, enters a cave, finds this lame doctor looking for a walking stick, suggests he try Norway, then finds this bracer and puts it on. (He already has the bracer when he's kneeling before the gods. THAT'S why he's the chosen champion when Zeus introduces him.) Suddenly, KA-BLAM(R).

Or he's walking down a street in Athens and meets this crippled pedlar selling bracers. "Cool", thinks Dion, and picks one out. By doing so he has already won the favor of Haephestus (the pedlar), and finds himself in panel one.

Or he's sitting in this bar in Athens and he tries to pick up this beautiful chick. But he's been drinking too much (let's hear it for fake id's) and starts telling her the story of himself and Jorge. The woman, piqued, tells him that he MUST rebuild that friendship, and while we're on the subject, you need a bracer. Before he knows what's happening, she's slapped this bracer that she got from her husband onto his arm. That's Aphrodite's quest.

Or he enters a cave in Greece and finds these three old ladies cackling. "Greetings, young Dion," they say. "We are the Norns..." "And we are the Fates!" interrupt three other old ladies, striding in. "Move your sorry asses back to Scandinavia; this is our turf. And as for you, Tan, it is your fate to be the champion of Olympus. You already have this incredible strength from your ancestor, Herakles, that got you admitted to Poseidon Prep, so here's this bracer that we got from Haephestus. Put it on quick; the Olympians are waiting to see you, and they're not in a good mood. Ares would be there, too, but he's in an episode of Xena this week." "Why are you telling me this?" Dion demands, and Clotho replies, "Plot development, darling; it has to go in somewhere." (My favorite line from "The Great Muppet Caper.")

BTW, I don't think he's growing more tolerant (yet); he is completely torn between his feelings (be they lust or just like) and his homophobia which may be the result of his disgust with his own inner feelings. (Been there, done that, burned the tee-shirt, thank you very much.)

I think its quite clear that the Gods summoned Dion to Olympus when he arrived in Greece, perhaps visiting his paternal family? However the powers he gained are still a mystery (Where was Hephaestus or was that Zeus' gift?) and did all the Gods deny him even after his other tasks? There are lots of questions to be asked and we can probably rely on the main book to cover them, if not than another mini comic and if not then Tommy might tell us (?) But either way its a lot to mull over...

Personally, I don't think he's undergone tests from Hermes or Athena yet. We've only been shown Hades' favor: the whip. Athena's favor should be a shield (aegis) and Hermes' the talaria (sandals of flight and speed). Zeus, god of lightning, will no doubt reward him with a taser (taser).

I thoroughly enjoyed it, picked me up for sure

Quick slash: Uhura is holding a well-preserved copy of KO#1, and says to Dr. McCoy, "Can you explain what happened?" "I'm a doctor, not a mythologist," he replies. "What about you, Spock?" "Illogical," replies the Vulcan.

It's early in the morning, my babbling time.

Best, John
"If I don't do the things that aren't worth doing, who will?" Ashleigh Brilliant
JT
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:22 am

*Pulls a gun from the waistband of his pants and fires a few warning shots at JT*

That's my morning shooting time :P

Loved the great muppet caper, especially the fight in the gallery, MsPiggy kicks ass

Actually perhaps the bracer of Hephaestus WAS Apphrodite's challenge, we all know what some nice underwear can make a man do.

And perhaps the bracers came from Zeus already?

Speculation, speculation. Apollo turned Dion down because he already lurves Troy (you know this to be true)
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Verdant » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:28 am

Hah! Those were great!

Speaking of favored items, while Athena (and Apollo once or twice) has borrowed the Aegis, it is actually the property of Zeus. "Aegis-bearing Zeus" is a frequent title of his in both the Iliad and the Odyssey.
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby JT » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:46 am

Holy C**p! I just went to Wikipedia to look up the Aegis, which I've always connected with Athena. (Silly me.) Oh, wow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis

BAST had an aegis, FAFNIR had an aegis; man, in mythology if you didn't have an aegis, you weren't on the A List. (A for aegis.)

Now I want one!

Best, John

(BTW, so how do you pronounce it?)
JT
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:53 am

Ay -Giss i believe

I have an Aegis, it protects shrimpy gay comic book loving nerds with poor upperbody development.

Well it shields them with a wall of impenetrable sarcasm and cynicism.

Power too me
The Hellion
Senior

Postby JT » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:38 am

The Hellion wrote:Ay -Giss i believe

Ay as in day, or ay as in aye? G as in gesture or g as in guys?

I have an Aegis, it protects shrimpy gay comic book loving nerds with poor upperbody development.

Well it shields them with a wall of impenetrable sarcasm and cynicism.

I had one of those, too (still do), but it wasn't nearly impenetrable enough. Energy attacks, maybe, but oh those physical ones.

Power too me

By the way, great comic! (If too short. On the other hand, it does give ample room for interpretation, doesn't it? :) ) (Just thought I'd remind us what we're really doing here.)

Best, John
JT
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:22 am

Day
Guys

Now that we have that cleared up....i wonder what the Olympian bicycle* gave him

*Aphrodite
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Safeguard » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:26 pm

How do I get the PDF version of this latest comic? I went to the checkout online page and its just a pic.
"It's actually quite simple, but since you just recently begun to walk upright it may take some time to explain." Jace Beleren to Garruk Wildspeaker.
Safeguard
Senior

Postby Verdant » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Click the gold "Buy Now" button.
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Next

Return to Pride Feedback