Official Discussion Thread, Issue 7: Spring Forward

Issue-specific discussion threads and reviews of Pride High. There are spoilers here, so read at your own risk!

Moderator: Perihelion

Official Discussion Thread, Issue 7: Spring Forward

Postby Verdant » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:25 am

The PDF version of Issue 7 is now available!

http://pridecomics.com/checkout-online.html
Last edited by Verdant on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby ShastaB24 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Oh, that was such a fun read. So many reader characters with more prominent appearances, as well. Is it bad that even in the prominent displays of so many characters, I still scour the background to see if mine made it in?

I also like how the story is progressing. We get so much in just one comic, I'm geeking out quite a bit (and that's not a phrase I ever use to describe anything I do). Of course, Issue 8 also can't come too soon, but I know that the wait will be worth it.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Chameleongirl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Excellent issue Tommy. The art was fabulous and there was some really interesting progression to the story.

Plus - cameos!! :D

Aww, Cam :(
The Wolf House: Bloody *awesome* queer!punk!vampire e-book. Buy it NOW!

Chameleon may change her spots, but she refuses to do plaid.

I make super-hero finger puppets out of felt. Go Team Dork! :D

Bios: Chamelon & PowerUp
Chameleongirl
Sophomore

Postby Chameleongirl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Also!

Hero cameo! I wonder what Dion made of the book? :D
The Wolf House: Bloody *awesome* queer!punk!vampire e-book. Buy it NOW!

Chameleon may change her spots, but she refuses to do plaid.

I make super-hero finger puppets out of felt. Go Team Dork! :D

Bios: Chamelon & PowerUp
Chameleongirl
Sophomore

Postby Huw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Man, this was just chalk full of awesomness! So wicked seeing all the characters I've read on the boards (Gravita= <3! :D ) Gotta say page 14 just... no describing. That's why I love the holidays xD.
Huw
Freshman

Postby Huw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:48 pm

Forgot to add:

The sheer girl power the Vixens emitted from that single group shot has caused me to be female for the next week~ :)

...and I love K.O's reading choices. I have the novel on my bookshelf =).
Huw
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Chameleongirl wrote:Also!

Hero cameo! I wonder what Dion made of the book? :D

Kid Olympus wrote:A gay book that I like?! Oh noes!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Verdant » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Huw wrote:Man, this was just chalk full of awesomness! So wicked seeing all the characters I've read on the boards (Gravita= <3! :D ) Gotta say page 14 just... no describing. That's why I love the holidays xD.

Yeah, I love the subtle power effect that Polawat gave her. For page 14, Robert did such a great job putting it together.

Huw wrote:Forgot to add:

The sheer girl power the Vixens emitted from that single group shot has caused me to be female for the next week~ :)

...and I love K.O's reading choices. I have the novel on my bookshelf =).

In the original script, The Hackers won the match. However, inspired by Hellion's fan fiction, I changed my mind. I love their stances, as well as the look on Deadlift's face.

And yes, Hero is such a great book. Perry Moore was thrilled with the shout-out :).
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby candyman1989 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 pm

Wow fantastic art in this issue.

Highlights have to be the large number of cameos and a certain psychic showdown. Loved Suravi as the quite voice of reason.

Oh Chip *snickers* so cute, never change <3
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Verdant » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:03 pm

candyman1989 wrote:Oh Chip *snickers* so cute, never change <3

Kid Olympus wrote:I heard one of the girls scream!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Sage » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Oh em ghee! The end of issue 6 was misinterpreted like whoa, but in order to get closure I read the beginning of issue 7 so fast that phone rang and I flung it off the desk so that it would stop annoying me (and I never miss a call).

Things to point out: ‘Hero’, I saw it and squealed and wished I were back in my dorm so I could only possibly guess what page our KO was on. Page 14 had the most natural expressions toward tofurkey (everyone is apprehensive in their way, save Suravi who looks SO eager). There’s a bit more red in Chip’s cheeks than normal under the mistletoe.

[ ][ ][ ]

At any rate, this issue was just as action-packed as the others, but in a much different way. Dialogue was not the vehicle for this issue, but Jorge’s narration. Whereas we used to have to sit and see how things went as they went, Jorge took us through the seasons, the holidays, the wins and losses in the ISC, until we got to day before spring break, where the real action happened.

So you thought we forgot about Craig cheating, didn’t you? Well, Craig makes a psychic appearance in this issue to reassure Jorge, but he just can’t talk about ‘who.’ All we know is that it’s blackmail, which Jorge takes as ‘Black male.’ And there seems to be a new running joke about Capp being a dancer—“Just because he’s a dancer, doesn’t make him gay.”

And let’s not forget the Battle at the Greenhouse. I’ve always been a fan of psionic battles—I think there aren’t enough of them in the world (or in the media—a tragedy that should be remedied). But while this was not the most epic I’ve seen (because Tommy keeps them in the frame of mind of teenaged kids rather than super-powered adults) it definitely does not lack style. Like a woman scorned, Jorge bursts in and attacks, only to have Cameron defend himself. It takes little for Cameron to get on the offensive, but this is where we see what The Hellion meant when he insisted time and time again that Cameron played dirty. Had KO not been there to defend Jorge…

The art blew me away. The cover, (to see the process, http://www.pridecomics.com/boards/viewt ... c&start=46) was like WHOA. For serious. It reminded me of the Emma Frost miniseries covers. As well as Hellion.

Hellion's Post
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm Post subject:

Sage's Post
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm Post subject:

Robert Rivera and Polawat Darapong took Pride High to it’s height with the art. Ohemghee! The penciling and inks were seriously amazing. Art in a comic is usually flexible with me because I’m always looking at the story first, but these guys seriously bring in the dough with the art. The lines were smoother and the colors were better-hued and richer than they have been before. Shading was uber-uber—I mean, how else can you describe it?

And the host of reader-characters! Faithful forumers have finally had their time in the pages of Pride High as they watched their characters contend against one another. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat (poor Feral Force… HA!) But now we know for certain-certain (we only knew for certain before) that K.O. is teh gay. It’s true… and QUITE happy-making!

The fics that can be derived from this… Happy reading!
Last edited by Sage on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sage
Sophomore

Postby TailsofElements » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 pm

I can't wait to read it!!!! I'll see if I can manipulate one of my friends into buying it on their card or just wait till I'm 18. Parents still monitoring my purchases.
TailsofElements
Junior

Postby Oni » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 pm

TailsofElements wrote:I can't wait to read it!!!! I'll see if I can manipulate one of my friends into buying it on their card or just wait till I'm 18. Parents still monitoring my purchases.

I know that feeling D= I still havent read vol 5
When the printed version is available im getting them all through strange manipulation of my mother xD
Oni
Sophomore

Postby TailsofElements » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:02 pm

ZOMG, I want to know more! I can't wait for 8! Gah! I have to say, I love the Dion-Jorge moments and how Cameron's bitchocity is brought out. I love the art so much. I loved all the cameos and really want to know all the important questions. What are they doing with the Unison? What did George say to Dion? When will they start dating? Ect. Ect. I absolutely loved it! Ugh, I would right more but I've got an early morning. I'll pump out more when I can.
TailsofElements
Junior

Postby Verdant » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Moon Sage wrote:Things to point out: ‘Hero’, I saw it and squealed and wished I were back in my dorm so I could only possibly guess what page our KO was on.

Definitely not the part where Thom's father almost walked in on him while on the family lap top. KO would've been blushing like crazy!

Moon Sage wrote:Page 14 had the most natural expressions toward tofurkey (everyone is apprehensive in their way, save Suravi who looks SO eager).

Tofurkey isn't bad at all, though I'm well-acquainted with THE LOOK it gets at mixed gatherings ;). Originally I had Claire call it by the brand name, but she's the type to really put the emphasis on the "tofu" part of the equation.

Moon Sage wrote:There’s a bit more red in Chip’s cheeks than normal under the mistletoe.

Awww, poor Chip.

Moon Sage wrote:Like a woman scorned, Jorge bursts in and attacks, only to have Cameron defend himself. It takes little for Cameron to get on the offensive, but this is where we see what The Hellion meant when he insisted time and time again that Cameron played dirty. Had KO not been there to defend Jorge…

Jorge still operates in that "teen invulnerability" mode of thought. Things could've been really, really bad, but he hasn't even really internalized that, yet. "ZOMG, I almost got glass shards in my face! Oooooh, let's go to the beach!"

Jorge has a tendency to bite off more than he can chew. Cameron might have feelings for him, but ANYONE screwing with Cam's head had better watch out. The shot of him banishing the violet light around his head with a wave of crimson is one of my favorites. At that moment, Jorge ceased to be Jorge and was just one more person in the world trying to HURT him. Robert and Polawat did a superb job with the composition of the fight.

Moon Sage wrote:The art blew me away. The cover, (to see the process, http://www.pridecomics.com/boards/viewt ... c&start=46) was like WHOA. For serious. It reminded me of the Emma Frost miniseries covers. As well as Hellion.

Best cover in the series so far!

Moon Sage wrote:The lines were smoother and the colors were better-hued and richer than they have been before. Shading was uber-uber—I mean, how else can you describe it?

Yup, he did a great job working off of Robert's pencils. I have someone else set for the colors on 8 & 9, but I'm hoping Polawat will return for 10 :).

Moon Sage wrote:The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat (poor Feral Force… HA!)

I could NOT decide how to score that match for the longest time. That's the reason I had the poll, which ended in a tie. And then there was the fact that several fans had two characters on opposite sides. The tiebreaker was the fact that The Masterminds have more "team players" overall.

Speaking of the I.S.C., I loved the way Robert and Polawat displayed Pele's fire breath vs Beowulf's frost.

TailsofElements wrote:I love the Dion-Jorge moments

Chip Cheetah wrote:Why is KO hugging Jorge?

AWKWARD!
Last edited by Verdant on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Next

Return to Pride Feedback