Official Discussion Thread, Issue 1: The Out Crowd

Issue-specific discussion threads and reviews of Pride High. There are spoilers here, so read at your own risk!

Moderator: Perihelion

Official Discussion Thread, Issue 1: The Out Crowd

Postby Perihelion » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:31 pm

Verdant wrote:The thread of this focus was originally on spoiler-free reviews. However, as of April 2007, the discussion has been opened to spoilers and speculation. Feel free to discuss any and all aspects of this issue!

I really enjoyed issue one! Great job everyone!

I especially enjoyed playing "where's oblivious" lol :D

The end of the issue struck close to home for me...

Little ole' me used to be a police officer here in Tulsa Oklahoma, (if you want a good laugh, my pics on myspace contains a pic of me in uniform!), my greatest concern after it was well known that I was in a relationship with another guy was that backup would not come when needed as quickly as it might for a straight guy.

My fears were allayed after my first press of my emergency button on my walkie... the two most redneck, gay hating officers were the first on the scene to back me up! The second time they were also the first and second there to assist.

Camaraderie that comes from a shared purpose can overcome so many things between people when the chips are down... (hmm I know I'd certainly be there to assist Chip Cheetah if he were down!)

Queers!! to all the bois n Grrls
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:13 am

Thanks for the review, Eric! Don't be shy folks! Let us know what you think of Issue 1 of Pride High! Thanks for supporting independent LGBT comics!
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby The Contessa » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:18 am

I loved the first issue! I want hair like Suravi and Scotch Bonnet! The writing was fantastic and the artist is simply incredible :wink: !...Congratulations on a winning book!
The Contessa
Prospective Student

Postby Promstar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 am

I enjoyed it and as above I liked playing spot sister bliss (3 times, i missed the back of her head till someonepointed it out), Epicenter (once) and Sauna (once). However my straight friends thought it was a bit too "gay " for them. but hey there you go can't please everyone all the time.
Eleanor Renoir a nun in france, is fused with a street hooker in a mystical explosion. Artwork is from Pride High Comic, but character is mine!
[url="http://www.pridecomics.com"]Check out the comic![/url]
Promstar
Freshman

Postby corvinm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:25 pm

I really enjoyed Pride High #1! Great story and interesting characters (Jorge is hot!). Very nice artwork and coloring too!

My favorite parts are the locker room confrontation and the cliff-hanger ending.

I can't wait for issue #2! :D
corvinm
Prospective Student

Excellent work!

Postby AiYahh » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:39 pm

I just got my copy of Pride High yesterday and I couldn't wait to read it (very carefully of course, I DO take care of my comics).

I loved how the art work and the story is the best! I really enjoyed the fact that the characters are fully fleshed out from the very beginning and I was able to really get a feel for who they are as people. There's no one dimensional chracters here!

I think the use of different backgrounds was very interesting. It's very obvious that the chracters are Chinese, Hawaiian, Scottish, etc. and I loved how you made it on the one hand, a sense of pride (like in Pele's having her own team, are they all Hawaiian based students?), but that pride doesn't limits them in being a part of the larger whole.

Yes, i do admit that I love the locker room scene. But hey, what can I say, I'm gay and I love seeing cute guys in jockstraps *g* ;)
AiYahh

Postby Verdant » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 am

Promstar wrote:However my straight friends thought it was a bit too "gay " for them. but hey there you go can't please everyone all the time.

But what about your gay friends ;)?!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Re: Excellent work!

Postby Verdant » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:40 am

AiYahh wrote:like in Pele's having her own team, are they all Hawaiian based students?

Glad you enjoyed it :)! And yes, all the members of Pele's squad, Lili'uokalani, have some connection to the Hawaiian Islands (though not necessarily an ethnic connection).
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Promstar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:56 am

Verdant wrote:
Promstar wrote:However my straight friends thought it was a bit too "gay " for them. but hey there you go can't please everyone all the time.

But what about your gay friends ;)?!

Erm er I don't have many anymore , I go bored of them and bumped them off :P the ones still remaining don't live close to me , so haven't annoyed me soo much. :P
Eleanor Renoir a nun in france, is fused with a street hooker in a mystical explosion. Artwork is from Pride High Comic, but character is mine!
[url="http://www.pridecomics.com"]Check out the comic![/url]
Promstar
Freshman

Re: Excellent work!

Postby QuinnBlackwatch » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:22 pm

AiYahh wrote:
Yes, i do admit that I love the locker room scene. But hey, what can I say, I'm gay and I love seeing cute guys in jockstraps *g* ;)

What's the deal with jockstraps? why not wear regular underwaer for sports? ( we don't have those here)It's cute, but I don't get it actually
QuinnBlackwatch
Admin

Postby DJ RAVYN 1 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:14 pm

"What is it about jockstraps?"....

Lord, you do live in another country...ahhh well....
DJ RAVYN 1
Artist

Postby The Contessa » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Dahling, you must be joking? :wink:
The Contessa
Prospective Student

Postby Perihelion » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:56 pm

Ok I am from the states and I still dont get it... must be the trigger that takes some back to stolen glances and unrequieted locker room fantasies from school or maybe last week at the gym :P

To me they just look like ill fitting, low budget, wal-mart G-strings(if they made them for men) with annoying extra straps. But glad they do it for someone!!
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby Perihelion » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:59 pm

oh as for the why people wear them... they hold cups in place... hard or soft to protect your goods.. and in theory for support... i think more for the days when everyone wore boxers or something :) Cause all my square cut aussie rower types are nice n snug :twisted:
Perihelion
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:18 pm

The following was emailed to me today :)!

Leslie Feinberg wrote:Reading issue #1 of Pride High just left my own pride feeling sky high. It’s real enough to rub my wounds, and at the same time helps heal them. It inspires me to think about the powers we each have, and how much more powerful we are when we unite. Pride High rawks!

--Leslie Feinberg, activist and author of Stone Butch Blues, Transgender Warriors, Drag King Dreams, Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue. (transgenderwarrior.org)
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Next

Return to Pride Feedback