Moong Dal Dosa

Share your love of good food with recipes and pics!

Moderator: Perihelion

Moong Dal Dosa

Postby Verdant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:47 pm

I LOVE dosas, but the cool temperature of San Francisco isn't conducive to the fermentation required by the usual rice/urad dal dosa. I know there are ways to get around this (the pilot light/stove light trick in ovens), but I've just never gotten around to trying that out. Luckily, Manjula, my newest fave chef presented this recipe for an unfermented dosa. Her recipe worked beautifully!

The original plan was to share these with my friend Manish for brunch, but then a minor disaster struck. The kitchen of the unit above mine flooded, causing massive leaks in the living room (and a trickle right over my bed). It could've been worse though, so I'm thankful.

I added a bit of water to make the batter easier to spread than pancake batter.

The trick to cooking dosas on cast iron is to make sure the surface is not only well-oiled, but very hot from center to edges before you pour the batter.

Carefully scoop under the edges a little bit at a time to prevent the dosa from shredding. Revolve the griddle once before flipping to get a good angle on all sides.

The top side doesn't have to be cooked for long, or even at all, if your dosa is thin enough.

Stuffed with spicy potatoes, these hearty dosas are a meal all by themselves.
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Sage » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:18 pm

But they're so big.. I make pancakes and if I make them too large, it's hell to flip them over. How do you get around that?
Is this thing on?
Sage
Sophomore

Postby Verdant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:21 pm

By the time they're ready to flip over, the top is pretty much set and dry. Just make sure all the edges are loosened, then scoop and flip :).
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Return to Cooks' Corner