Avocado "Chutney"

Share your love of good food with recipes and pics!

Moderator: Perihelion

Avocado "Chutney"

Postby MentalFloss » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:41 pm

This is a recipe given to me by Chef Niloufer Ichaporia King herself. A recent pioneer in Indian Fusion and in my opinion, a culinary genius. She is the author of the cookbook "My Bombay Kitchen" which employs a lot of Indian dishes and essentially Parsi-fying a lot of western recipes as well.

This "Chutney" has a wide variety of uses, from topping on omelets to using a a chip dip, it is delicious with baked potatoes, tortillas, and roasted chicken. Don't let the spiciness put you off, this is probably one of the most deliciously amazing sauces I have ever tasted in my life And as a culinarian who has tasted as much as I have, that says a lot.

--------------

-2- SLIGHTLY ripened avocados pitted and husked
-1 tsp- Coriander, Toasted and ground
-1- Naga Jolokia chili, VERY finely chopped (1/4 tsp of ground red pepper or . 1/4 chopped jalapeno can also be used.)
-1/2 cp- Plain yogurt
-1/4 cp- Coarse chopped cilantro
Lime Juice to taste
Salt to taste

1.) Place Avocados and Coriander in the bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher or wire whisk. Should be fairly lumpy.

2.) Add Chilis slowly, stirring gently with a wisk or wooden spoon, you should taste it frequently at this point if you want to control how spicy it will be.

3.) Gently stir in yogurt and cilantro. IF in the previous step you made it too spicy, you can add more yogurt or even another mashed avocado at this point.

4.) Add salt and fresh squeezed lime juice to taste. The final product should be a light green color and not brown. It should be fairly lumpy, slightly spicy and a bit tangy from the yogurt and lime juice. Once finished it should be served immediately. If not immediately, it is best stored in an airtight container and refrigerated.
Track 1: Ocean "Deception"
Track 2: Raine "Lucid"
Track 3: Jo "Muzzle"

http://profile.imeem.com/DhObMrT/playli ... _playlist/
MentalFloss
Sophomore

Return to Cooks' Corner