Moros y Cristianos

Share your love of good food with recipes and pics!

Moderator: Perihelion

Moros y Cristianos

Postby Kid Mischief » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:32 am

Black beans and rice is a common dish in Cuba and is known there as "Moros y Cristianos." The name symbolizes the Moors (black beans) and Christians (white rice) of Spain's past and present.

The following recipe is from the American Dry Bean Board. At Suravi's request, I replaced the green pepper in the recipe with yellow squash and zucchini.

2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1-1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
3/4 bay leaf
2 tsp. olive oil
2/3 cup rice
10 ounces canned diced tomatoes
10 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/3 cups water
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
3/4 tsp. salt (optional)
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, thyme, crushed red pepper, and bay leaf in olive oil until onion is tender, about 5 minutes (I sautéed the onions and bay leaves for a minute first before adding the spices. Unless you're using a lot of oil, ground spices can interfere by absorbing too much of the oil before the onions have a chance to properly cook).

Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Moros y Cristianos

The name "Moros y Cristianos" also refers to a set of festivals commemorating the Spanish Reconquista.
Kid Mischief
Prospective Student

Postby Chameleongirl » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:30 am

Oh man! I've wanted to try and make this before, but I couldn't find the recipe (my google-fu is not strong).

Thanks for this :D
Chameleongirl
Sophomore

Return to Cooks' Corner