Pride Comics Wiki

General gabbery on all things related to Pride High.

Moderator: Perihelion

Pride Comics Wiki

Postby JT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:38 am

This post is an introduction and tag for subsequent posts. I am in the process of creating a wiki featuring the characters who have appeared in Pride High. It will originally be posted on my personal website; what happens after that is to be determined.

There is a disclaimer that Pride Comics is not responsible for what I say; nevertheless, I will ask for Tommy Roddy’s approval (or at least rubber-stamp okay) before publishing, and will also make any changes that he requests, now or later, and will also honor reasonable requests from other sources (i.e., you).

I will need help and feedback from you, dear board members. Let me know if you find an error or if I left out important information, and let me know if you like it. Positive strokes are always nice. Negative ones, if constructive, are appreciated if not always enjoyed.

Note: only characters who actually appear in comics published by Pride Comics will be featured in the wiki, with a few possible exceptions required by another character’s background. However, reader-created characters appearing only in the Student and Faculty Register and board fan fiction are not eligible for inclusion.
"If I don't do the things that aren't worth doing, who will?" Ashleigh Brilliant
JT
Freshman

First set of questions

Postby JT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:51 am

In order to create the Pride High wiki, I am scrounging information like crazy. Some of it is deliberately hiding from me, and also there are some decisions I have to make about the format. For instance, I decided that appearing in PH requires the present tense: "Kid Mischief appears in PH 1" rather than "Kid Mischief appeared in PH 1", because if you go look at PH 1, he’s still there; nobody went back and erased him.

Now, here’s my first set of problems.

1. Somewhere there is a list of the ISC’s and their members and their themes. I have seen it, but now I cannot find it. Can somebody help me, please. (Incidentally, as soon as I post this I will probably remember. But help anyway, please.)

2. I am crediting creators with their work. But how do should they be named: by their real name seen in Pride High, or by their PH board identity. For example, I’m John Taylor in real life, but JT on the board. Note: this could actually be different from creator to creator. I would like a consensus (this might almost be worthy of a poll), but I will honor any given request. Okay, Hellion?

3. What is Jorge Ponce to Kid Mischief. Is it his real name as opposed to his assumed name or costumed identity. For some reason, that sounds funny or misleading to me. There’s nothing ‘unreal’ about ‘Kid Mischief’ as a name. Is it his secret identity? No, everybody knows it. Is it his civilian identity? No, because Poseidon Prep and Pride High aren’t paramilitary organizations. Are they? Is it his non-costumed or uncostumed identity? I hope not; what ugly phrases. And I’ll be typing it a lot. Is it his birth name? I’m not fond of that, either, and in some cases it’s not the character’s birth name, it’s another name that he or she has come up with as a result of background. Is it his non-super name? No, because he’s got just as much power when he’s Jorge as when he’s KM. Is it his mundane name? (This comes from science fiction fandom.) Maybe; that’s what I’m currently using, but I’m not real happy with it. It’s like his muggle name, and seems somehow derogatory. Is it his given name? No, Jorge is his given name; Ponce is his surname.

HALP!!! I’m sure the perfect phrase is out there somewhere, and I’ll know it when I see it.

4. The preceding problem comes up because I'm organizing entries by heroic name: Kid Mischief rather than Jorge Ponce, if the character has a heroic name. Is that appropriate, or should it be the other way around? Pride High is a different case than the Justice League of America, most of the time the 'non-heroic' name is used.

Thank you for your support.

John
"If I don't do the things that aren't worth doing, who will?" Ashleigh Brilliant
JT
Freshman

Postby Promstar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 am

Eleanor Renoir a nun in france, is fused with a street hooker in a mystical explosion. Artwork is from Pride High Comic, but character is mine!
[url="http://www.pridecomics.com"]Check out the comic![/url]
Promstar
Freshman

Postby The Hellion » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Yeah due to disdain for my actual name, lets leave it as Hellion on the wiki please and thank you

I think Tommy's "hero name" is pretty concise of course "costumed identity" or "nom-du-cloak" can work as well I guess

As for arranging on a wiki you should be able to redirect from certain terms so Jorge Ponce would still lead to Kid Mischief and vice versa whatever you choose or at least turn up a decent search result
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Verdant » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Very cool!

2) How about the real name and then the board name in parantheses?

3) I understand where you're coming re: "real name" vs "heroic name." However, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always Cntrl-H all instances of it with a better term later.
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby JT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks.

I swear I looked right at that forum index and I.S.C. Bulletin WASN'T THERE!!!

Bad weirdness

Best, John
JT
Freshman

Postby JT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 pm

The Hellion wrote:I think Tommy's "hero name" is pretty concise of course "costumed identity" or "nom-du-cloak" can work as well I guess

Unfortunately that's just backward from the way I'm doing it. Here's an example:

Jorge Ponce
Mundane name of Kid Mischief.

Kid Mischief
Mundane name Jorge Ponce.
Member of Pride High, he has amazing mental ...

Italics means "which see" or "q.v.", but doesn't take up as much room.

In the standard character description, the term used is "Real Name", and I've already given my objection to that. Not that it's bad, it just doesn't satisfy me.

As for arranging on a wiki you should be able to redirect from certain terms so Jorge Ponce would still lead to Kid Mischief and vice versa whatever you choose or at least turn up a decent search result

See above.

Best, John
JT
Freshman

Postby JT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Verdant wrote:Very cool!

2) How about the real name and then the board name in parantheses?.

That works, although it just means that much more typing for me. (NBD) I think I might have to explain 'board name', though.

3) I understand where you're coming re: "real name" vs "heroic name." However, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always Cntrl-H all instances of it with a better term later.

Yep, I already did that to change 'Civilian Name' to 'Mundane Name'. If the perfect descriptive term comes along, I'm primed and ready to go.

Best, John
JT
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 pm

You could try heroic name with the mundane name underneath in parantheses. A descriptor really isn't necessary, as people will understand from context. Characters without one of the names would just be listed on a single line.

Cameron Ashton

Chameleon

Kid Mischief
(Jorge Ponce)

Pele
(Pele Pukahi)

etc.
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Promstar » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:49 am

How about

Born Name: Bob Scratchit

Chosen Name: The Itchinator!
Eleanor Renoir a nun in france, is fused with a street hooker in a mystical explosion. Artwork is from Pride High Comic, but character is mine!
Promstar
Freshman

Postby Angel1602 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 am

I agree with Mr. Roddy. Just put their real or legal name in parenthesis. So for our man Chip Cheetah:

"Chip Cheetah (Chippendale Chesterfield) was born in..."

I salute your dedication sir!

*salute*

:D
Angel1602
Prospective Student

Drum Roll, please

Postby JT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:36 am

Ta dah. It's here, kids. Now available for your entertainment and edification -- the Pride High Wiki.

You will find it by going to
http://www.thetws.com/PrideHigh/PrideHigh.htm. This is now a one-stop kick-off point for the three works I've done, the unofficial roster, the cameos list, and the Wiki. The Wiki is in four parts of approx. 50 entries per part. When the color version of # 6 comes out, I will update it again, because I'm that kind of guy.

There are no navigation buttons in the Wiki; you will have to use your browser. Actually, that's true as of 7:30 on Feb. 16th, but who knows what I'll do later.

Please let me know in PMs if there are any corrections or objectionable material, and I will respond appropriately. And let me know how you like it; I live for your approval.

Best, John
Last edited by JT on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JT
Freshman

Postby Verdant » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for putting in the time and effort to compile all this. I am in awe!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby Promstar » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:12 am

indeed good job :)
Promstar
Freshman

Postby JT » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 am

Hi, Guys. Long time no see.

I learned a new word yesterday: ‘wiki’. I have been using the word to mean ‘on line encyclopedia’ (as in ‘Wikipedia’, or just ‘on-line’, from the Hawaiian ‘quick’. Come to find out (from Wikipedia, interestingly enough), it means "a page or collection of Web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content, using a simplified markup language." Oh. (BTW, thanks, ShastaB24, for making me wonder.)

Well, obviously then what I have created isn’t a wiki, it’s an encyclopedia. I’m afraid I’m too anal-retentive or control-freakish to allow anyone to write on my website without my intense overview. Spelling, punctuation and grammar are my life.

Therefore, I have changed external references to my "Pride High Wiki" to "Pride High Encyclopedia", reachable from this url:
http://www.thetws.com/PrideHigh.htm and have updated it for Pride High 7 and "Reality Check". Haven’t up/dated "Pride High Cameos" (I forgot it existed) or the roster; I will probably try to update them later today.

By the way, the page for roster sign-ups that includes team purposes, team slogans and team shouts seems to have been dropped from the Pride High site, and several teams make their first official appearance in issue 7. I wouldn’t put them into the wik—encyclopedia until they actually appeared in the comic.

Also, who is the guy in the red mask on page 17. He looks familiar, but I can’t quite place him. He might be El Sonido from issue 5, but I dunno.

So—how y’all been?

JT

BTW, did you know that if you do a search for "Pride High" you get, in addition to websites, the following: "Also Try - utah high school football, ricky martin gay, high protein diets, high heel boots" What’s with that second one – what’s that got to do with Pride High?
JT
Freshman

Next

Return to Pride Commlink