All You Need Is Lovecraft

For shorter format, back-and-forth "play-by-post" RP. For more continuous narratives, visit the Poseidon Prep Library.

Moderator: Chameleongirl

All You Need Is Lovecraft

Postby Mr. Banana » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm

-=[OoC]=-

As a student and fledgling hero-in-training, you sign up for a program offered by the school, which offers a week excused from classes to participate in real fieldwork under the supervision of an instructor. This is more than just combat training as it will require you to perform actual police work and hone your investigative skills. There is a mystery to be solved, and it will not be pretty...

-RULES-
*** This RP will require at least a paragraph or two per post. The more detail you give people to work with, the better.
*** This is not intended to be a fast-paced RP, so feel free to take your time if it may take a while for you to think up and write a post.
*** PLEASE have the courtesy to give everyone else a chance to post. NO 1-ON-1 SERIAL POSTING.
*** Correct spelling and grammar is not just expected, but required.
*** I will accept a minimum of three, and a maximum of four 'main' characters. There is an actual plot in this RP, and four people is the maximum for the 'team' to be set up. I will accept a fifth if I believe it will work out.
*** Every player may only have one main character. Secondary characters are fine and even encouraged, so long as they are not part of the 'team' to be set up.
*** This isn't just a social RP - It will have combat and it will have investigation.
*** The RP will span over the course of seven days, with a "Day Zero" prologue and maybe an eighth day epilogue.
*** As always, character interaction IC does not reflect on anything OoC. Get as nitty and gritty as you want IC, but do not take it OoC. Goes without saying.
*** As this is also an investigation RP, depending on where you go and what happens, I will PM you clues or other details to include in your next post if necessary.
*** This is primarily a serious RP, but even then, it's me (for all those who remember). There will be a fair amount of crack as well.
*** PM me if you've any questions before or during the RP. I aim to please, and I will be more than happy to address any issues of yours.

Anyways, that all said...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
=============================================
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-=[IC]=-

DAY BEFORE
6:03 PM
WEATHER: CLOUDY

Kenji walked down the hall hesitantly, printed instructions in hand yet unfamiliar with the particular wing of the school he was in and trying to get his bearings around and through the various sparse groups of students. It all looked vaguely familiar, he had been down here a handful of times... but not long enough to have the map engraved into his brain, evidently. Looking back down on the sheet in front of him were the words, "ROOM 413, MR. MORENO ------- 6:00pm," and sure enough as luck would have it, he was going to be late.

Well, no use worrying about that now - might as well just bite the bullet when the time comes.

In any case, this field training program was interesting... Plus it offered a week excused from classes (if your grades were sufficient enough - which they were of course). He'd have to be an idiot to pass that up!

"413... 413..." Kenji mumbled over and over, obviously getting closer to his target if the numbers above the doors were any indication.

After just passing by it once, the boy quickly corrected himself, politely knocking on the wood of the door for admittance. By the lack of lights on in the room he would have thought it'd be empty, but he did hear a smooth "come in" from inside. Complying with the response, Kenji opened the door, looked around, and calmly and gracefully freaked the fuck out when he saw nothing but luminous golden eyes fixated on him from a deathly pale face highlighted from the glow of his computer monitor.

What was presumably Mr. Moreno quietly "Hm'd" to himself, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair with an amused look on his face. "Never ceases to entertain... You can turn on the lights if you want, you know."

Regaining his composure almost disturbingly fast, Kenji removed a clutched hand from his chest and did as was suggested. He wouldn't admit it out loud, but having the lights on right now would make him feel a little more comfertab-- wait, wait... is he drinking whiskey on school grounds???

Moreno killed off a short glass of a dark amber liquid and then looked over the student briefly.

"We'll get started once everyone arrives; I only want to go over everything once. In the meantime, I'm Mr. Moreno." The pale teacher extended a black, mechanical hand over his desk to which Kenji accepted with his own. "Pleasure."
Mr. Banana
Sophomore

Postby candyman1989 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Travis walks down the hall towards room 413. He only just managed to scrape into the program. Most of his grades were fine but he's doing terribly in science and IT. Thankfully he has an excellent tutor.

Entering the room his eyes are sharp as he takes in the two people already there. He hasn't dealt with either of them overly in the past. He's looking forward to this. It's diffrent from a sim, this is real, this matters.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Prince Blanche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:46 am

After getting lost a few too many times, having to ask for directions at least twice, and getting a few weird looks from people walking past him, Noah finally got himself to the hall where he supposed room 413 was. He walked slowly, not knowing what to expect so far: but once he saw Travis walking around, he just smiled to himself. He had never really been that close to the sorcerer, admittedly, but hey, he was a familiar face: familiar faces were always welcome for the demon.

Entering the room and looking around to see who he could recognize, he noticed Kenji over there, looking a little bit spooked, and some guy who he didn't really know but who clearly was older than them. "Uh.... this is room 413, right?" he asked: he already knew the answer yes, but didn't really think of anything more intelligent to say than that.
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby Animal boy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 am

Tommy was pleased as punch and excited by the idea of not having to go to classes. Finally he would be learning the police skills he craved so he could be an actual superhero! He grinned happily as he walked into room 413.

"Noah!" Tommy said and walked up to him and kissed him on the ear. He then saw Kenji said "Kenji!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" running to him and giving him a big hug and looked at Mr. Moreno and said "So you are the zombie. I heard there was a zombie here."
"Why should Northstar have all the fun?"-Hulkling
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Mr. Banana » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Kenji couldn't help but smile as two of his friends walked into the room, supposedly for the same program he enlisted in. "Hey Noah, Tommy, Long time, no see. Feels like it's been years..." The young summoner would have hugged Tommy back, but the death grip he was in with his arms pinned to his sides made that somewhat difficult.

Moreno raised an eyebrow at the lilim's question. "Well, outside the door may say this is room 413, but I can assure you it's really a trans-dimensional portal to the magical land of butterflies, rainbows and gumdrops. It only looks like a classroom." Despite the remark, there was no hint of malice or impatience. In fact, he seemed to be enjoying himself somewhat.

"And to answer your question," Moreno turned to the young boy presently squeezing the life out of the blue-haired goth, "that's... a complicated topic, but no. Not a zombie."

Deciding that was sufficient enough of an answer, Moreno glanced down at a sheet within a manila folder, bringing a pen to the corner of his mouth unconsciously.

"Let's see here... Travis Smith, Noah Darcy, Kenji Arihiro, Thomas Wood..." He glanced over each of them as he stated their names, "We've one more registered for the EFIT program, but if they don't get here soon... Well, then they'll miss out. But since there's enough of you here, let's get this started..."

"First of all," the undead cyborg stood up while putting the folder down on his desk, "I am Mr. Moreno, your instructor for the duration of this week. You may call me either Schrodinger or Dante if you wish; I don't really care for formalities. "

"Second, YES, you will be granted an entire week's leave from all of your classes and in-class assignments, however this doesn't excuse you from either your studies or your homework. Your professors will give you summarized notes of your course material every day and homework to complete. Granted, it'll be of a lighter burden then average, but you will still have to efficiently juggle both, as with any other extracurricular activities."

"Third, this is NOT a simulation. These are real cases and you will be expected to handle them professionally. Naturally, the police will have first pick at any scenes and evidence, but you will be authorized to inspect them afterwards and will be given the details of all the police's findings. Do not worry about success - there's only so much you can do in a week. Instead, you will be graded on how well you all perform, both individually and as a unit."

Golden cyber-optic eyes looked the students over, giving a chance for them to take it in little by little. He still had a bit more to cover...

"You all with me so far...?"

(((OoC: "EFIT" stands for "Extracurricular Field Investigation Training". It wasn't on purpose, I swear... but it did turn out to be a bit of a happy coincidence. :mrgreen: )))
Mr. Banana
Sophomore

Postby Prince Blanche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:32 pm

"Got it, sir" the demon said nodding, though he was still partly processing what Mr. Moreno had said when he responded. It was going to take him some time to get used to the idea that it would all be real, but he knew he could get actually do it.

Noah couldn't really give that many shows of affection at the moment, and the fact that Tommy had pretty much jumped on Kenji at seeing the blue-haired boy for the first time in quite a while was enough to at least garner him a smile. He looked at both of them and just said "It HAS been like ages since we last hung out... or did anything together for that matter. I suppose this can help to solve that..."
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby Animal boy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 pm

"Oh that reminds me I was planning to give you these for Christmas but I think this would be a perfect time to give you these, here for you and Kenji" Tommy said as he fish in his pockets for something that turned out to be two tickets for Paranormal Activity Two which he gave to Noah and Kenji.

He then turned to Dante "I've watched every single episode of the original CSI so I could perhaps help with that, especially with the entomology part, and I have a better way of getting information from bugs then dissecting them."
"Why should Northstar have all the fun?"-Hulkling
Animal boy
Senior

Postby Gryphon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:44 pm

"413....I hate that number" Kale shifted his satchel that hung of his corner as he entered the classroom and looked at the others already there. He'd worked hard to get into this - and it wasn't easy with him barely passing English. But it was going to pay off, oh yes. Far better and more legal than that whole ferret debacle he'd tried last month.

He glanced at the teacher, a tried to go for a genuinely subdued smile - it only partially succeeded. "Er, I'm not late, am I?"
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby Towkarn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 pm

The sound of sneakers scuffing the polished the floors squeaked down the hallway. It was a strange suggestion, that he take part in this, but he'd thought it over and found himself really quite keen. Investigative work, helping out in the real world, getting to know what life was like on the police force. Dr. Thunderfoot, the one who'd suggested it, hoped it would get his head out of the clouds; of course, she hadn't told him that. No, she'd told him that he could make an exemplary member of the team, if he could just make the effort.

It was room 426 he was looking for. Dr. Gunn was meant to be handling his group. It actually sounded like it would be fun. Of course, the way that things had been looking up took a rather downward turn when he reached room 426 and found a note stuck to the door announcing the EFIT hadn't had enough people in this group. He frowned and gave the door a quick boot for ruining his mood, then noticed the rest of the note.

"Report to room 413, 417 or 424 to be organised into another group."

Well, that sounded promising. 424 was just around the corner, but when he arrived he was told they already had too many from his group and he should try 417 or 413. Down another hallway and the group for 417 were just heading out. He called out and caught up to them, but was told once again they had too many. He'd have to try 413; if they couldn't fit him in, maybe he could talk to Dr. Thunderfoot about being listed for the next group.

Jogging down the corridor to 413, he rapped on the door with his knuckles as he walked in.

"Hey, my group got cancelled. Dr. Gunn said you might be able to fit me in for this group," Giovanni said.
Towkarn
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:24 am

Travis raises an eyebrow at Kale.

"You? Be late? Did you at least get a name to go with the number this time?"

Of the people present Kale is easily the one he's most comfortable with. Kenji he barely knows and Noah he would be insanely uncomfortable around if he didn't have his iceheart.

Out of the corner of his eye he's watching Mr Moreno. He's not sure what he thinks of this man yet. Absently he's rubbing the part of his shirt that conceals his pendant. He doesn't feel any necromantic energy but his senses aren't flawless. In addition to the chance to do some good he signed up to get more information about this particular faculty member.

He did wisecrack about the room being a portal to the magical land of butterflies, rainbows and gumdrops. This appeals to a boy who drinks his coffee with six sugars and four lumps of cynicism.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby Gryphon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:32 am

"Abby, Gabby, Tabby..... it ended in ibby." Kale shrugged. He did another glance around the room, noting that while he knew almost everyone there, save for Travis, he hardly interacted with most of them. Aside from the general populace practical joke now and then. Save for the teacher himself that was, Kale had not met him before.

Regardless, he was excited as this was a sanctioned student outing with real world applications and experience, compared to half a dozen un-sanctioned ones he'd been a part of since starting at PP.
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby Mr. Banana » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Moreno allowed the few students to reconnect momentarily. These kids were going to work with each other for a week, so they really should become familiar with everyone. Better work environment, better results. Besides, there was someone else calling his attention at the moment.

"Not terribly late..." a glance to the roster, then back to the door, "Kale Morris, correct?"

Before he could receive an answer, yet another student appeared, saying something about a cancelled group.

"That so?" Moreno bemused in response to the demigod. He picked up the roster and flipped through some pages, then stopped, mumbling "Giovanni Voltumnae..." a few times to himself while scanning the page, thumb and index finger grooming through his goatee in thought. It wasn't long until Moreno appeared satisfied.

"I believe I can accommodate one more person... You can stay here for the rest of the briefing and inquire the others for what you've missed. I'll take care of your transference later tonight."

Once that was settled, Moreno opened a drawer and pulled out six different ear pieces (one of which had to be taken out of the packaging) and laminated cards.

Passing them out to each student, he continued, "These comm links are so you can remain in contact with me as well as each other. They are to remain on at all times while out in the field, however you may contact me at any hour if need be. Shutting off a comm link will be regarded as immediate danger, and I will suspend all other's operations and regroup on your position. The access cards on the other hand, will be required to enter any and all police facilities and the like, such as the evidence room. They expire after the week's over with, so they won't do you any good if you decide to keep them afterwards - not that you can, since they'll be collected at the end."

"That said," the teacher combed his fingers through his hair to fix a wayward tuft from getting in his face, "unless circumstances call for it, you will be permitted to govern this all yourselves. If any of you are in an exceptionally dangerous situation though, I will intervene. Now, as for your case..."

Moreno took out another manila folder, thick as a textbook and a plethora of tabs sticking out of the sides. "There have been a string of peoples' disappearances over the past few months. Each case seems to be random, with nothing of any substance linking any of the victims together. Normally, this would be handled by the police itself... but three days ago, they found a body, and... well..." He let out a sigh. "It doesn't seem like it's anything a normal person can do. Go over these files and get familiar with one another. Starting tomorrow you'll be out in the field. I'd suggest first visiting the precinct's evidence room, or the morgue for the autopsy report before you start anywhere else."

"And that should be it for the briefing. Any questions?"
Mr. Banana
Sophomore

Postby Gryphon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:03 am

Kale nodded his head to confirm his identity as the Teacher was already addressing the group. He took his comm unit and badge looking each over with a grin. Too bad the badge expired, he could have easily made a copy for his own use once they had to turn this one in.

Kale partially raised his hand. "I have a question or two - You want us to leave our comms on all the time? I mean, I'm fine with that but the rest of you might not want to hear me snoring at 7 in the morning. Also, do we have a cover or anything? Should we be doing the whole super hero appearance thing or stick to students?"
Gryphon
Freshman

Postby Prince Blanche » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:54 am

Once again, it took Noah a small while to fully process what Mr. Moreno was saying, and he had to mentally go over it at least three times before he could say he understood it clearly. That said, once he actually got what the teacher was explaining, he just nodded calmly, enough to show he understood but also waiting to focus on what he could say now.

The demon had only a few questions, most of which Kale had asked already, and the ones that he hadn't weren't really all that important. While waiting for Mr. Moreno to answer Kale's questions and to see the files about the case they were to study, he just remained silent, looking over at the others every now and then.
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby Towkarn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 am

Giovanni grabbed the freshly unpackaged comm-piece and one of the badges, moved to one of the many available chairs in the classroom and sat himself down. Leaning back in the chair, he had the air of confidence about him that was usually associated with narcissism; more commonly known by teenagers as "being a huge d'bag". He inspected the comm-piece, turning it over in his fingers, eyes flicking to Kale as the other boy asked his questions. When Kale's questions were answered, he half raised his own hand in a gesture that looked more like a simple wave than requesting acknowledgement.

"If there's nothing to link the homicide to the disappearances, are we s'posed to keep investigating both, or will we be focusing on the murder?" He asked, bouncing his left foot on the floor as he was so eager to get going.
Towkarn
Freshman

Next

Return to RP Corner