Disconnected.

Register guest characters here and join the fun!

Moderator: Chameleongirl

Disconnected.

Postby Prince Blanche » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:42 pm

This might seem a little bit stupid but I just think I need to ask...

Am I the only one who feels... like, a little disconnected from the characters?

I mean, I LOVE my babies and all, but I'm rereading their bios and some of the old stuff and I dunno... I don't feel as "in touch" or "in character" with them as I used to.

(Part of me says it might be due to my current age and how I kinda seem to relate better to the faculty than the students, but I want that part of me to stop calling me old, so...)

Am I the only one facing this?

PS: That doesn't stop me from enjoying OR thinking about what to do here. Maybe I should remaster some things but... I dunno. We'll find out as we go along I guess.
Prince Blanche
Senior

Re: Disconnected.

Postby ShastaB24 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:05 pm

I understand what you mean. As time went on, I started to go to Split and Protean less and less. Yes, Split did make a cameo in one of my webcomics two years ago or so, but it's harder to do. I think it may have been the loss of the board activity for so long--I lost the connection to my characters that I wanted. Granted, I also stagnated because the next chapter of their story is one I want in comic form rather than written, but that's a different story.

It's interesting to think, as well, of where I was in creative endeavors back when I'd go on here a lot. I've created other characters since and gotten far better at art. Maybe I put aside the characters here for those more adult, ones I could throw into any circumstance and not worry that I'd be endangering children (no matter how fictional). And, while I created them when in college and still had a vivid memory of what it was like at their ages, I'm 32 now and now over twice as old as Split and Protean.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby Ravenheart » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Abit yeah, lol. Even though I dragged Cyan/Mystica into NexxusHost's The Keep.
Spent the night after relogging in going over her old posts. XD
Cyan/Mystica (No squad)- "My magic might be black but my heart is pure"

Nora/Cytech (No squad)- "I don't play around, I fight to win" [subject to change,lol]
Ravenheart
Sophomore

Postby The Hellion » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:31 pm

I still feel connection to Dani and Cam and even Ulla, Troy has always been elusive because he sees the good in everyone.
Perhaps its because I kept writing them even when I started doing my own comics and stuff.
Perhaps its just time.
Maybe we need to Crisis New 52 ourselves a bit? Rediscover connections by tweaking in little places? I know I have been
The Hellion
Senior

Postby Prince Blanche » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:31 pm

The Hellion wrote:I still feel connection to Dani and Cam and even Ulla, Troy has always been elusive because he sees the good in everyone.
Perhaps its because I kept writing them even when I started doing my own comics and stuff.
Perhaps its just time.
Maybe we need to Crisis New 52 ourselves a bit? Rediscover connections by tweaking in little places? I know I have been

I may need to do a little tweaking here and there. With Veronica it isn't much of a problem but with Noah... as a concept I still adore him and all, but I just can't help but feel a little distance from the mindset I had back then. I still want to use him, but I guess I need to breathe a bit of new life into him and such. And with Siobhan, well, I never really used her so it's not much of an issue changing things here and there owo
Prince Blanche
Senior

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:14 pm

I have been thinking lately of how I can move my Amber and Vince stuff forward, and I think I personally can still use the originals. I'm not really a fan of reboots, anyways. But I need to get to the comic chapter of "Developing a Sense of Self". Though, what I might try instead is to turn my stories already written into comics (without that long title I gave them, instead with the simple title of "The Broken", like I already had started to give them) and then get to the next chapter from there. It could be difficult, though, because the RP they were involved in was pretty massive (at least for my standards).
ShastaB24
Freshman

Postby candyman1989 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Prince Blanche wrote:
I mean, I LOVE my babies and all, but I'm rereading their bios and some of the old stuff and I dunno... I don't feel as "in touch" or "in character" with them as I used to.

(Part of me says it might be due to my current age and how I kinda seem to relate better to the faculty than the students, but I want that part of me to stop calling me old, so...)

For me I read Travis' bio in particular and flinch. The core basis of the character isn't bad, I just grafted so much extra stuff onto it in that very teenage way and it's honestly a mess.

I was older when I wrote Krilla and Swift and have less of a problem with them.
candyman1989
Junior

Postby ShastaB24 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 pm

I created Amber and Vince at age 23. I was still in college (though almost out) and had close connections to high school, with its memories close on my mind. But it's possible that if I did things now, I would have tried to create faculty, with a trans character who isn't so shy about it. But there's something to say about giving Amber actual character by her being unsure of herself and generally introverted. I based a lot of her on me, as I was in high school (though I never had multiple personalities, and as well I wasn't adopted, I'm white and I don't have super powers--sadly), which may be a reason I was able to keep her consistent the entire time. Vince, though, was a complete invention, and he often seemed to be a support for Amber more than his own character, to me.

Of my tertiary characters, I have Grant, whose personality was largely inspired by my older brother (as he's the older brother to Vince), though the others (Just Plum Awesome, Commodore Tatya, Merry Maiden and some others) were just really created as the stories saw fit and were complete inventions. But sometimes such characters can resonate a lot.

Makes me think, I do want to draw up a group portrait of all my superheroes, but that would be gigantic. Still, it would be nice, and maybe I can get the thing made into a poster, or something.

On another note: one thing that can possibly work to shoot lifeblood into the creative veins is to return to the previous stories and read them, remembering how good it was seeing them posted when the boards were lively, especially the RPs. Sure, they often got kind of jumbled, but it was such a process of presenting characters that was great.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Return to Student & Faculty Registry