Spam bot surge

General gabbery on all things related to Pride High.

Moderator: Perihelion

Spam bot surge

Postby ShastaB24 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:05 pm

I'd put this in Off-Topic, but that's currently getting the bulk of the messages, more than one a minute, and this post would get lost in the sea of them. I was just wondering what people might propose to do about this. Looking at the Off-Topic section, I can't think of any time I've seen spam bots this aggressive that they'd fill up over a dozen pages with posts in a single day. Usually they're more content to do like a half a page per day.

One forum I go to does require moderator approval to even be a member (you have to e-mail him and I think he set up the profile with your desired username and a temporary password). The problem, though, is that I'm sure this discourages many people from joining, and the speed of getting new members is entirely dependent on the moderator.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
ShastaB24
Freshman

Re: Spam bot surge

Postby Verdant » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:43 pm

I spoke with D'Ombre earlier about the problem and we added a new Captcha. However, manual registration might be the way to go. Thanks for the input and keeping an eye out 8) .
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Postby D'Ombre » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:21 pm

I've changed the settings to require an administrator to activate an account.
D'Ombre
Admin

Postby Verdant » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:01 pm

The comic book forum layout wasn't updated for the current version of phpBB, and was missing some security features. I've switched to the updated default layout and opened registration again. Let's see how it goes.
Be a hero and support Pride High on Patreon!
Verdant
Head Resident Advisor

Return to Pride Commlink